Post details: hell's church? not quite

01/25/05

Permalink 06:26:48 pm, Categories: Urban Exploration, 573 words   English (US)

hell's church? not quite

I met up with Sertile the night before last outside a huge drain in Springfield. We were there to check out a place inside the drain, nicknamed Hell's Church, where you could go from the tunnel into a chamber underneath some nearby buildings. It didn't quite live up to its spooky name.

When we met up, Sertile took me to the canal that led into the drain tunnel and showed me a smaller branch of the canal that I'd never noticed before. It led under a nearby building to a couple of drains I hadn't known were there. While there, Sertile showed me a manhole you could open that went down into a sanitary sewer.

For those of you that don't know, a sanitary sewer is the kind that carries human waste. And this thing was flowing like nobody's business. It was about a foot deep, stinky as hell with pieces of feces hanging off the sides, and running so swiftly that it would've knocked you off your feet if you tried to stand in it. Not that either of us is crazy enough to do that.

After that, we headed into the tunnel, which was a relief because it was freezing outside. We walked about half a mile into the tunnel before we reached the spot. It was a bare ledge set about head high and a dusty chamber beyond that. I boosted Sertile up, handed him my gear, and then crawled up after him.

We were in the cramped crawlspace of a building above us. There was supposed to be a hole knocked in one wall leading to "hell's church," a chamber that was supposed to have stirrups or shackles hanging inside. Sure enough, the hole was there, although it hadn't been necessary for someone to create the hole since they could've just walked farther down the tunnel and climbed up the ledge. The chamber, which was supposed to have "shackles" or "stirrups" hanging inside, was just another crawlspace, although much bigger than the first one. The shackles were actually some type of fixture hanging from the ceiling, probably to support pipes that weren't there any more. There was plenty of graffiti, litter, and other evidence that kids went down there frequently.

Sertile had been here before and had found a window in the crawlspace that led into the basement of a nearby building. We found the window again and slipped into the basement. It was mostly abandoned, except that someone was apparently using it for storage. We spent some time poking around the building, even finding a manhole in the building that led to one of the crawlspaces we'd just been in.

After that, we found that there was a ladder in the elavator shaft above the elavator that led to a small room at roof level. We climbed up the elavator doors, headed up the ladder (with Sertile dropping his flashlight down the elavator shaft in the process), and climbed out a window in the room onto the roof. Sertile and I climbed out different windows, and somehow there was electricity touching the window sill that kept shocking him as he struggled out.

We spent a little time taking pictures from the roof, but it was too cold to stay up there for long. When we'd taken what pictures we wanted, we crawled back down into the building, retrieved Sertile's flashlight, and made our way back out the tunnel.

Comments, Pingbacks:

Comment from: Sertile [Visitor]
Yeah, nice write-up. I'm glad you took the time to point out how clumsy I am.
Permalink 01/26/05 @ 17:28
Comment from: Philouza [Visitor]
This Sertile character sounds pretty cool. You should hang out with him again.
Permalink 01/26/05 @ 19:07
Comment from: Zach [Visitor] · http://www.zachishere.com
Great post. I liked this adventure.

But let's be honest. If you are going to name a place Hell's Church there better be treachery of some form. I love the pictures you get from rooftops.

Thanks for the ntoe about the tags on my site. Its weird that they did not work because they were made from a plug-in that was placed in the entry tags. So in theory they should have been in the right place. When I put them in manually they work, but that is a hassle and its not that big of deal.

Thanks for spamming my site. ha.
j/k
Permalink 01/28/05 @ 04:07
Comment from: *c-ko* [Visitor]
Hey- Nice diary. ;) Yeah, that was pretty stupid to knock a hole in the wall. We had heard that there was a dead body inside the wall. With nothing better to do in Sprinfield, we decided to check it out. Unfortunately a bat was killed in the process and it was all a waste of time considering there was already a way in. It was dark and we didn't take much time to see those weren't actually torture devices in the ceiling. We were exhausted: it took almost two hours with the help of 5 people to tear the wall down- Not to mention that it was only 8 degrees out and the water had previously been up to our ankles. We were also pretty bummed about the other entrance. *Just as a note- I told them we should explore farther before actually causing any damage, but the votes of four impatient, dead body driven guys out-number one girl. Great pictures.
Permalink 01/31/05 @ 19:38
Comment from: white rabbit [Member]
Heh, I wouldn't worry about it *c-ko*. It's all pretty trashed up down there anyway.
Permalink 01/31/05 @ 20:40
Comment from: Vesta [Visitor] · http://www.occasioni-vacanze.com/Members/Finance
How are you. Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from. Help me! Need information about: Insurance midland texas. I found only this - select cards hawthorn 2008 premiership framed. Research sample source - computer finance. Discover the top scams in car dealer history. Best regards :cool:, Vesta from Benin.
Permalink 07/29/09 @ 09:27
Comment from: Fiorcet prilosec wellbutrin renova rxpricebustersc [Visitor] · http://www.juventude.gov.br/Members/Wellbutrin/can-i-snort-wellbutrin
Give please. Money frees you from doing things you dislike. Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy.
I am from Lithuania and too bad know English, give please true I wrote the following sentence: "When you begin,,, what were the effects reporting for you?"

With love ;), Fiorcet prilosec wellbutrin renova rxpricebustersc.
Permalink 01/19/10 @ 08:42
Comment from: Tom [Visitor] · http://www.mmpersonalloans.com
This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! Keep up the excellent work.
Permalink 06/27/10 @ 20:26
ise is firmly off the next-gen two-seat roadster, it's easy to see the new CC roof instead of today's fabric roof.The next Z4 is going on sale in th
Permalink 07/29/10 @ 23:27

Underground Ozarks Blog

Here you can read about White Rabbit's day-to-day explorations and adventures.

December 2017