Post details: Gumbo Jail

05/08/06

Permalink 10:53:05 pm, Categories: Urban Exploration, 570 words   English (US)

Gumbo Jail

A few weeks ago, Tunajive and I decided to spend our evening in the most productive way we could think of: checking out some of the abandoned sites that West County has to offer. First we visited the old Nursing Home, but eventually made out way to the old "Gumbo Jail." I assume this jail got its name because of it's location on the Missouri River floodplains of Chesterfield nicknamed "Gumbo Flats," not because they used to serve a kickass cajun seafood stew. But who knows, maybe their gumbo was outstanding. Gumbo Jail was a fully functioning penitentary for St. Louis county until 1993, when the great flood caused it to cease operation and a new jail was built in Clayton. The jail was in the news again recently after Hurricane Katrina, when it was cleaned up and prepared to house victims that never showed up. The site was recently aquired by Duke Reality Corp. for $6.74 million, with the intention of constructing a number of large office buildings.

On this night, we had additional company for our adventure: Fellow explorer Slim Jim and a group of his friends from the Minneapolis area had made the trip down to St. Louis, and were meeting up with us for the first time. The first part of our exploration took us to the bowels of the jail's utility tunnels, which stretch a long distance under the site. As we made our way up into the upper parts of the jail, the work that had been done for Katrina was apparent. Obviously, it had been vacant for some time, but there was none of the usual rubble and grime that one usually finds in abandoned places. In certain areas, the cells had been dry-walled over.....apparently so the victims living there wouldn't feel like they were living in a jail.

Despite how clean the place was, signs of its former use were everywhere. Many cells had names and graffiti scribbled everywhere. I was surprised when I found a number of different places where inmates had placed tic-marks, I'm assuming to count down their remaining days of imprisonment. That is the kind of thing that one sees in the movies, but that hits a somber note when you see that it really happened, and think about the many people who lived out long portions of their lives behind the barred doors of the building.

All of the usual "jail areas" are still intact, including the visitation room with two-way phones, the cafeteria, a large auditorium/gymnasium, and the guard tower outside. I couldn't believe that we were actually able to gain entry into the guard tower, and couldn't help but have someone snap a picture, despite the fact that the flash would be incredibly visible through the glass windows lining every side of the tower.
Although plans for the site seem to be in the works, nothing has been done yet. It will be sad to see this place demolished. I know that, compared with other St. Louis sites, this one does not have anywhere near the history, or even interesting architecture for that matter. It is a bland, two story grey shack looking building. I remember, though, watching the inmates in the yard from my mom's car on the highway when I was a kid. This is something I am able to think about every time I drive by today. Not for long, I guess.

Comments:

Comment from: Conrad [Visitor]
I tried about three times this summer to get into Gumbo jail, and did not have any luck. Can you offer any suggestions? Thanks!
Permalink 12/13/06 @ 03:18
Comment from: Steve [Visitor] · http://fhnfacultyroundtable.blogspot.com
Gumbo flats is named after the type of soil in the area, one that is very thick and heavy, like gumbo.
Permalink 11/03/07 @ 00:37
Comment from: Chris [Visitor]
How do u get into these places?? I'd love to explore this sometime too
Permalink 04/17/09 @ 17:15
Comment from: Renny [Visitor] · http://petrzalka.otvorene.sk/Members/Finance
Good afternoon. Nor do not saw the air too much with your hand, thus, but use all gently. For in the very torrent, tempest, and as I may say, whirlwind of passion, you must acquire and beget a temperance that may give it smoothness. Help me! Could you help me find sites on the: Addison securities fraud. I found only this - non profit jobs. Provides updated information on the program, including announcements of all rulemakings, terrorism and financial intelligence. " Too - it a federal crime to lie on a loan or credit application, to misrepresent your social security number, the company name and business address. :eek: Thanks in advance. Renny from Haiti.
Permalink 07/30/09 @ 08:54
Comment from: Teeth whitening laser treatment [Visitor] · http://www.tunechody.cz/Members/TeethWhitening/bright-tooth-whitening-system
Good afternoon. Wit makes its own welcome, and levels all distinctions. No dignity, no learning, no force of character, can make any stand against good wit.
I am from Arab and , too, and now am writing in English, please tell me right I wrote the following sentence: "Bitewing fruits 2 spaces in a administration, teeth whitening."

With respect :p, Teeth whitening laser treatment.
Permalink 11/27/09 @ 13:23
Permalink 12/03/09 @ 21:51
Comment from: Criminal justice romney wv [Visitor] · http://germanupa.de/Members/CriminalJustice/criminal-justice-degree-prefered
Hello everyone. I'm glad I didn't have to fight in any war. I'm glad I didn't have to pick up a gun. I'm glad I didn't get killed or kill somebody. I hope my kids enjoy the same lack of manhood.
I am from Sao and too bad know English, give true I wrote the following sentence: "The euthanasia, with histories from the simulated components to the market, decides more than 200,000 options, methods, shotguns, and rare courses from the united states and around the program, criminal justice."

THX :o, Criminal justice romney wv.
Permalink 01/11/10 @ 23:12
Comment from: Bayard [Visitor] · http://tt.tlu.ee/Members/Vermox
Badly need your help. Over the years your bodies become walking autobiographies, telling friends and strangers alike of the minor and major stresses of your lives. Help me! I find sites on the topic: Vermox treatments. I found only this - vermox message board. Vermox, the gods found to receive these people and become their segments to send this guide of front, a way which was well found upon lots with artificial intelligence. Pills get respiratory when they think a doctor replaced with snails, vermox. With love :o, Bayard from Sudan.
Permalink 02/14/10 @ 05:26
Comment from: UGG sale [Visitor] · http://www.saleuggs.us
that is very kind of you to post this for us, thank you very much.
Permalink 07/20/10 @ 06:40
Comment from: insanity workout DVDs [Visitor] · http://www.insanity-workout.biz
that is very kind of you to post this for us, thank you very much.
Permalink 07/20/10 @ 07:04
Comment from: p90x exercise [Visitor] · http://www.p90x-workout.biz
you are very kind to post this for us, that is very good.
Permalink 07/20/10 @ 07:05