Post details: Wet Willy's Water Slide

06/02/06

Permalink 02:39:06 pm, Categories: Urban Exploration, 376 words   English (US)

Wet Willy's Water Slide

A few weeks ago, I helped a friend move to Fenton for the summer. As I was driving home, I decided to stop by the old Wet Willy's Water Slide, which has been abandoned for several years now and has become a haven for enthusiasts of skateboarding and street luge. It is more than apparent after visiting this place that while it may be abandoned, it is far from forgotten. I know that a few of my friends and I have talked about visiting in the winter after the first big snow and trying out some disc sleds.

I had no problem finding the slide, although it is very well hidden this time of year being at the top of a hill and almost completely swallowed by vegetation. There is not anything left to see as far as buildings except for the pump house at the very bottom of the slide. I am told that the main building used to be at the top of the slide, but there is nothing left today. I walked up and down the slides, imagining how much fun it must have been to have ridden it during its operation. I remember riding a similar slide in Chicago during my childhood. It was unbelieveable fun until one fell off of the provided mat and got all scraped up by the concrete of the slide.

It is amazing how much the surrounding brush has reclaimed the site in just a few years. Some parts of the slide are not even visible anymore, having been completely covered. I think it's a cool place, despite the fact that it is not really very historical or anything. If I had any kind of skateboarding skills, I'm sure you'd find me shredding it up on the slide during the weekends. Unfortunately, my skills are somewhat limited to photography and walking - and not at the same time. I'm not sure how much the police in the area are worried about kids hanging out at the slide. Judging by the amount of graffiti and beer cans left about, I'd say not very. And why would they be, unless kids start breaking their legs. On a 200 meter concrete slide with a viscious incline, I just don't see that happening.

Comments:

Comment from: Norma Jean [Visitor] · http://atangentuniverse.blogspot.com
Great pictures. I remember going to Wet Willy's as a kid. It was so much fun - so much more fun, somehow, than the newer, complicated parks. It's a shame it closed.
Permalink 06/02/06 @ 15:35
Comment from: Kilwag [Visitor] · http://www.skateandannoy.com
Great shots. I especially like the two that coincidentally have the McDonalds signs visible. You've been poached, BTW.
Permalink 09/05/06 @ 19:40
Comment from: Jackie [Visitor]
Woah. I live right there and I can say it's excessively policed. I've been busted there a few times, twice by the same cop that *luckily* didn't recognize me. It looks totally different now though, way more graffiti covered.
Permalink 10/25/06 @ 02:33
Comment from: Bryan, Fenton, MO. [Visitor]
Never in a million years did I ever think that Wet Willy's Waterslide would look like this.. I remember going there as a kid on the weekends.. I'd pay for 1/2 hour, and end up staying 3-4 hours.. It was so much fun. A kid ended up being killed at the bottom of the zoom floom when he smashed his head when he hit the concrete bottom wall at the very end one year and the insurance rates skyrocketed after that and they never could recover. That wall was always the most dangerous from what I could remember. If that pool was bigger, like Six Flags St. Louis has at their waterslides, I really think Wet Willy's would still be alive and kickin today.
Permalink 03/31/07 @ 08:12
Comment from: matt [Visitor]
this place is amazing, i recently stummbled upon it, wanting to skate it sooo bad, it started to rain.
Permalink 05/04/07 @ 18:15
Comment from: Lauren [Visitor]
OMG, I remember Wet Willy's. My brother and I used to go there ALL THE TIME, we lived only 10 minutes away from there in Fenton. I've always wanted to venture up there and check it out but never had the time to. Thanks for showing the pictures, it is a lot different... That place kicked so much ass. Haha.. I remember the 3 different slides; slow, medium, fast! I wish it was still open so I could take my little sister there to check it out
Permalink 07/08/07 @ 15:49
Comment from: Ash (St. Louis) [Visitor] · http://myspace.com/shiftypunk88
yea i just went up there with my boyfriend to skate earlier today. its been tagged up quite a few more times. when i was younger i remember drving by all the time on the way to my Grandparents house. i always told my Dad i wanted to go but i think it was already shut down. its a shame what happened, its an awesome place. oh yea and i tried to go up there last week and definatley got busted so if you try to go up there.. park at the bottom and walk up.

peace and luv.
Permalink 09/04/07 @ 02:18
Comment from: no medical exam life insurance [Visitor] · http://www.equote.com/
It's a shame what transformations suffered the old famous Wet Willy's Water Slide.
Permalink 02/01/08 @ 21:54
Comment from: Michael [Visitor]
Cool place. Can you email me exactly where this is? Searched around Fenton, MO, but no luck. I'd like to 3d model it and check it out, if it's still around. Thanks.
Permalink 02/19/08 @ 12:18
Comment from: Cleo [Visitor]
I used to live about a 5 minute drive from this place in Fenton. I now live in New York City and when I have gone back I have looked for this place, it looked like they took it out. I had no idea it was still up there and covered with graffiti. That is amazing! Someone should use it as a set in a movie or video or something. What a great location. It was a little "white trash" when it was operating. Those rubber boards that were all ripped up and the scraping from the concrete. Very low rent.
Permalink 03/25/08 @ 02:57
wow i have never been here before butt wen my skool would go to six flags we would always pass this heel and i always saw the sign and i used to wonder whats up there i knew it always had to be sum kind of water park wow its actually kind of kool
Permalink 03/30/08 @ 01:02
Comment from: Wesley St. amand [Visitor] · http://www.myspace.com/wesak
I remember this when i was younger, it kicked major ass, i used to live in Nixa, now im in Alaska
Permalink 05/27/08 @ 03:28
Comment from: Luke Kuykendall [Visitor]
Yeah I remember Wet Willy's. I never went there and now I feel bad I didn't. But I remember When my parent's would take me to Six Flags ;) in the summer you could always see that huge billboard from the highway.
Permalink 07/03/08 @ 14:51
Comment from: Luke Kuykendall [Visitor]
I don't see where the pool was or would be. It looks like on the 3rd to last pic is the bottom. But it's just a concrete base. I'd also like to know what year it closed.
Permalink 07/03/08 @ 15:09
Comment from: stan [Visitor] · http://myspace.com/spookyman64
if you look at the one picture, with the slides ending and the space then the steps, THAT is the pool. thats where you would end up, and those are the steps that the kid hit when coming down the zoom floom,(slide all the way on the left)
Permalink 07/11/08 @ 08:57
Comment from: gab [Visitor]
you know some one could easily get this up and running again. just get water and things like dat and there it is but i still dont know why it closed down. im confused is it just there abandoned what happened to it? y did it close?
Permalink 10/04/08 @ 12:17
Comment from: Dan Boldt [Visitor]
This is so cool. Just a bit of history regarding the photos, the McDonald's opened up in 1982. I know this because I was a an employee on the the first day of opening. I did not realize how good of a job it was until all the girls would come down from Wet Willies to get lunch or dinner!!! I was 16/17 at the time. Man that was great!!!

Thanks for the memories!
Dan
Permalink 10/27/08 @ 04:50
Comment from: Shane [Visitor]
Wow I am just a little boy but my parents said they had a great time there I wish that I could ride a 600 foot long slide what a ride. That sucks that one boy got killed that ended it all. Great pictures that gave me an idea what it was like
Permalink 10/27/08 @ 23:01
Comment from: Chris [Visitor]
holly sh#@ that brings back some memories . I still have scars on my legs from the first time I rode the fast slide and flew of my mat in 1982
Permalink 10/28/08 @ 21:46
Comment from: gOAd [Visitor]
Permalink 11/07/08 @ 10:32
Comment from: Midgetman82 [Visitor] · http://www.youtube.com/user/midgetman82
hmm, it almost looks like you could stick wheels on a wooden board (no not a skateboard), then ride down it. looks cool though.
Permalink 11/14/08 @ 20:28
Comment from: KCbdpsha [Visitor]
i wanna skate this sooo bad can I get an exact loctaion and possibly diresctions I'm coming from the Marshall sedailia Mo area
Permalink 01/27/09 @ 14:04
Comment from: Sandi [Visitor]
Damn i remember going there as a kid every summer. It's not that hard to find. From I-44 turn on highway 141 south and go to the next light. Turn left onto the outer road and wet willy's is somewhere around the top of the hill behind the old 'dent removal' shop. It make take you some walking around to find it. I haven't been up there in years but i drive by it all the time. It really is a bitchin location for a waterslide being on top of the rock bluff and the great view.
Permalink 02/24/09 @ 18:39
Comment from: RIP Wet Willy's [Visitor] · http://www.deafskateboards.com/squad/node/231
Wet Willy's was officially demolished in February 2009. Don't bother going there to skate because you'll only find piles of dirt and rubble.

Go here to see pictures of the demolition if you don't believe me:

RIP Wet Willy's
Permalink 02/28/09 @ 23:22
Comment from: prospectgirl [Visitor]
I'm really sorry to hear that Wet Willy's is no longer there. Went there as a child and was actually hoping to take my kids to see where we had fun as a child.
Permalink 04/05/09 @ 01:56
Comment from: Anthony [Visitor]
What year did this place close down? What year did it open?
Permalink 04/24/09 @ 02:59
Comment from: ulilreddevilu [Visitor]
i recently took the fam up the hill to check it out after going to mcds 1 day and it was disappointing to see that all was left was chunks of graffiti covered blue concrete :(
i read somewhere that a boy had died due to an accident @ the slide & i have been trying to search for an article or something about when it happened but have had no such luck...also doesnt anybody have pix of when it was up & running?
Permalink 05/07/09 @ 15:11
Comment from: Brian Frook [Visitor] · http://www.daytonaweatherguy.com
Unfortunately all the slides that were built by the same company that probably built Wet Willie's (Watercoaster Inc.) have all been demolished. Daytona Beach Florida had one my dad managed for a couple of years. I rode it every day for hours on end. It was right next to the USA's first Skateboard park Skatboard City! I'll probably will come down with skin cancer because of all the time outside before anyone ever thought about sunscreen. It was torn down in the late 80's, as was Skatboard City. Such a shame. There was another in Galveston Texas near the seawall park. I heard it was demolished a couple of years ago. These slides were fun as hell, especially all the tricks we could do with our mats folded in half riding on our knees. Tricks like 360's on the lane changes, half-on/half-offs, and pool skids all the way to the end without getting wet. They were the best when it was raining hard and the pumps were turned off. I will miss them for sure.
Permalink 06/10/09 @ 17:47
Comment from: lady [Visitor]
Does any one know when the slides stopped operating? I think this is the place my boyfriend and I both remember going to as kids but not sure. Also any pics of the place in operation? I cant seem to find any...
Permalink 06/23/09 @ 15:49
Comment from: Norm Card [Visitor]
I used to go to Wet Willy's between 1978 and 1982. There was also Water Lilly's, Hydra Slide and a few others.
Those were great times! I still have scars from those places. Did the skate board on the days they were closed. There was a lot of cool sh*t we could do for cheap back then! Good night America!
Permalink 10/12/09 @ 23:11
Permalink 12/03/09 @ 21:50
Comment from: Amanda [Visitor]
Thank you for posting this, I've been wondering for several years whatever happened to wet willy's. I can remember seeing it when i was a kid. Mom would always pass by it driving to six flags. Im from west central IL, and we used to go down to six flags about every year and I would always look over at wet willy's and think 'that looks fun' the past few years however i did not even see a glimpse of it from the highway. I was just at six flags again this past weekend with my daughter and thought of old wet willy's again. So I decided to get on here and look it up to see what I could find. Thanks again for putting to rest my curiosity of a childhood memory.
Permalink 07/19/10 @ 22:48
single "book" into a folder inside that. The subfolder name will be used as the "book" name. Supported formats are jpg, png, gif.
3) in Home screen press Alt-Z.
Permalink 08/01/10 @ 01:27
Comment from: wang [Visitor]
10811034649PMArchlord Gold | Buy Archlord Gold |
Permalink 08/11/10 @ 04:42
Comment from: ghd hair straightener [Visitor] · http://www.ghdhairofficial.com/
Foreign Ministry [url=http://www.ghdhairofficial.com/]ghd iv[/url][url=http://www.ghdhairofficial.com/] officials in Oman could not immediately be reached for comment. Masoud Shafiei, the ghd salon styler[/url] Iranian lawyer for the Americans, told The Associated Press he was not aware of the Omani visit.Shourd's release, which [url=http://www.ghdhairofficial.com/specials.html]ghd hair straighteners sale[/url] the Iranians said was on compassionate grounds because of illness, was a bittersweet milestone in a saga that has become one of [url=http://www.ghdhairofficial.com/specials.html]cheap ghd straightener[/url] many irritants in fraught U.S.-Iranian relations. She left behind her fiance Bauer and their friend Fattal to possibly face trial on [url=http://www.ghdhairofficial.com/ghd-limited-edition-purple-gift-set-p-46.html]ghd mk4[/url] espionage charges.
Permalink 09/28/10 @ 03:01
Comment from: cheap ghd hair straighteners [Visitor] · http://www.ghdhairofficial.com/
The Gulf sultanate hair straighteners ghd of Oman played a key role in securing the Sept. 14 release of a third American, ghd iv styling set Sarah Shourd, who was arrested with the two men still held . The hard-line daily ghd iv styler Jomhuri-e-Eslami, which is not state-run but close to the ruling establishment, reported the possible ghd straightener Omani visit, which was to occur as early as Sunday. It said that if the Americans are released, they ghd hair straighteners will be able to leave with the delegation for the Omani capital Muscat.Foreign Ministry ghd iv officials in Oman could not immediately be reached for comment. Masoud Shafiei, the ghd salon styler Iranian lawyer for the Americans, told The Associated Press he was not aware of the Omani visit. Shourd's release, which ghd hair straighteners sale the Iranians said was on compassionate grounds because of illness, was a bittersweet milestone in a saga that has become one of cheap ghd straightener many irritants in fraught U.S.-Iranian relations. She left behind her fiance Bauer and their friend Fattal to possibly face trial on ghd mk4 espionage charges. http://www.ghdhairofficial.com/
Permalink 09/28/10 @ 03:03
Comment from: Ak2i [Visitor] · http://www.digitopz.com/acekard-2i-p-25.html
It's my honor to sharing some useful web site for game console
Permalink 11/02/10 @ 06:14