Post details: Church of Little-Baby-Jesus-Town

04/18/07

Permalink 01:42:13 pm, Categories: Urban Exploration, 480 words   English (US)

Church of Little-Baby-Jesus-Town

I visited this church quite awhile ago (late last summer, I think) but for whatever reason never posted an entry about it. And that's a shame, really, because it is definately one of the most remarkably photogenic places in St. Louis. Seldom do you find an abandoned church that has been pretty much ignored for over 20 years.

The Church of Little-Baby-Jesus-Town was built in 1895, but for whatever reason the congregation abandoned it in the 80s. They now hold services in a school building next door, and the church building itself sits ignored, boarded up, and lonely. Everyone knows how I hate for buildings to be lonely, so on this specific day my friend Giggles and I paid her a visit.

We wandered around the exterior for a few moments, but there seemed to be no easy way in. Luckily, Giggles was able to squeeze through a very small opening, and then help me squeeze through as well (no small task. It involved three pry bars and lots of butter). I made a mental note to loose some weight, as I often do.

Regarless of it's awful state of disrepair, the interior of the church was a surprisingly beautiful site. Much of the stained glass remains intact, as does the massive pipe organ behind the alter. There was something very emotionally affecting about this crumbling church's state. I couldn't imagine it being more beautiful, even when it was new and pristine.

Eventually, we found our way to the choir balcony, and then to the small wooden staircase that led to the top of the tower. I tested it to make sure it would hold us, and it appeared as solid as the day it was made. Giggles and I wound our way up the tower and came to a small room near the top. From here, I could look through the open gothic-style windows and see the Arch. There was a ladder leading to a trap door that seemed to lead up into the bell-portion of the tower. I braced myself on the ladder and opened the trap door, feeling the pieces of wood crumble above me. I realized that this trap door had probably not been opened in many years. As I looked up into the next section, I saw the ladder leading up higher had almost completely crumbled. Sadly, I climbed back down through the trap door, realizing that I could not go any higher on this particular day. On our way down, Giggles and I noticed a carving in the wooden stairway that seemed to have been made in 1914. It's these small pieces of history that always make the effort of exploring worthwhile for me.

The congregation that owns the church has plans to demolish the building sometime in the future. It all probably just comes down to having the money to do so, as most things do.

Comments:

Comment from: Yumology [Visitor]
Went there yesterday Aug 20, 2007. Found a way in through the basement window. Spent an hour inside, nobody found us.
Permalink 08/20/07 @ 03:53
Wow this is a beautiful building. Too bad they are knocking it down. I remember doing stuff like this when I was a wee lass. Fun, glad you are being careful!! Holla from Cali!!
Permalink 09/15/07 @ 02:23
Comment from: Rubberduckiemom [Visitor]
What a shame about them destroying the place. I hate to see a place of history being forgotten. I hope they are smart enough to do something with the stained glass windows.
Permalink 10/31/07 @ 13:02
Permalink 01/29/08 @ 08:50
Comment from: Myrna Minkoff [Visitor]
Beautiful photographs.
Permalink 02/29/08 @ 17:52
Comment from: Mike Land [Visitor]
Who can I contact about salvaging some items in this building. I'm salivating from the pics and would love to head down there with a sawzall and crow bar.
Permalink 10/08/08 @ 15:37
Comment from: Used Refurbished Laptops [Visitor] · http://www.electrocomputerwarehosue.com/
Toshiba's Tecra R10 is a mainstream business laptop offering a comprehensive set of features plus a decent sized display, all while keeping the weight down to a reasonable level.
Permalink 04/04/09 @ 10:41
Comment from: Pastor Nick Harris [Visitor]
Where is this edifice located and can it be saved?
Permalink 06/25/09 @ 20:45
Comment from: Titus Kirui [Visitor]
May the Lord of Abraham, Isack and Jacob prevent such good memory from being demolished.
Permalink 07/01/09 @ 06:27
Comment from: DG TV JESUS CHRIST [Visitor] · http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5-t6gc6Ivc
Only Jesus can save us- everything else is useless.

All other religions are demonized? Islam, buddhism, etc. - because they do not have Jesus, salvation through Jesus?

That is why modern life style is satanic- demonized too:

We do not feel anymore anything? We see poor homeless people, junkies, etc.- and we walk by without even thinking about those people. We see our cell phone, but nothign else. We have violence, being 'hard' or 'heavy'- culture, 'no emotions'-culture or 'show no emotions' - culture. From where this all comes?
It is satanic life style, introduced us by TV, entertainment, etc.

"LaVey ... sees television as the major mainstream infiltration of the new Satanic religion."

Modern immigration of those demonic religioons is created by satanic world elite- in order to destroy christian life style- and destroy christians?

We get huge immigration of islam,oriental cultures and latinos, catholics. All these lack Jesus, and therefore they are demonic?

You can see this yourself. These people harass other people? These people do not hesitate to use violence if needed? They lie- are very nice or quiet, if they are alone- but if they are majority, they change in one second being angry or hostile?

Note that this immigration also changes our western democracies totalitarian obey-culture states...= satanic obey-cult? This immigration from barbaric culture countries consists of people, who have no slightest idea about democracy? Their only idea about state is to obey some dictator? = satanic new world order's ideal?

= Freemasons have no Jesus,= demonic?, and that is why they use their high politicians in governments and send these immigrants into our countries?

Right way to help those countries, is to help them to create democracy and equality. Why immigrants from those countries stay in our countries instead of bringing their new knowledge to their own countries?...

Permalink 10/30/09 @ 20:27
Comment from: black CHI Flat Iron [Visitor] · http://www.ghddeal.com/
100114SLZLM
This is the best black CHI Flat Iron ever! I have very coarse hair , but had become very sparse due to all of the breakage caused by other flat iron . Ever since i have been using the Dark Hair Straightener GHD IV i have had virtualy no breakage and my hair looks very healthy and shiny.This thing is really great. I’m an Asian boy and I use them to style my hair most of the time. I had 2 straighteners before, by far the GHD IV Hot Pink Styler is the best 1 for me. i have such damaged hair but after i straighten with this thing. Wow. incredible result! Love it alot. I look just like a superstar right now! Thanks to Hair Straightener Kiss GHD MK4I have been using the Pure Hair Straightener GHD IV Professional Ceramic Hair Straighteners for over a year.I have used many brands but I found that the GHD IV Purple Styling Set is by far the best for my hair
Permalink 01/14/10 @ 06:36