Post details: KS Double Feature - Big Brutus

11/24/06

Permalink 10:53:05 pm, Categories: General, 460 words   English (US)

KS Double Feature - Big Brutus

The first thing I did when I got to KS was make a bee-line for West Mineral, near Joplin, MO. Why, you ask? To see Big Brutus of course!

For those who aren’t in the know, Big Brutus is an enormous shovel of some sort, and while it might not be the world’s largest, it’s probably the biggest one in Kansas. Brutus was previously used for strip-mining coal beds, but has since been retired in a pit of his own making, just outside the small town of West Mineral.

Brutus looms

The journey there was long, made longer by a road closing and surprise detour which rendered my Mapquest directions obsolete. I was forced to navigate my way there simply by attempting to drive in the general direction. Arriving an hour or two behind schedule, I caught a glimpse of Brutus from miles away, looming over the distant horizon.

Cross

I wasn’t quite as impressed as I thought I would be upon my arrival, but that was due in part to the lackluster visitor’s center/museum greeted me. My first sight was of an American flag, tattered nearly to shreds. A 6-foot wooden cross, complete with purple robes and hot-glued crown of thorns, stood nearby.

I was soon informed that Brutus was being repainted, and its innards were closed to visitors, though I would still have to pay full admission price in order to see it. I grudgingly paid, and was then informed that, not only was I not allowed inside, but I was to maintain a certain distance on account of the paint crew. Their first rule was heeded. The second was not.

Fossil Rock

With little to do in or around Brutus, outside of standing in the mouth of its enormous shovel (large enough to drive a truck into!), I was forced to occupy myself with some of the other attractions, which included in no particular order: a cable, a mine cart, a rock, and a smaller shovel, similar in design to Brutus, yet made primarily of wood. There was also a sign, pointing out some nearby fossils. The sign specifically asked visitors not to destroy said fossils.

Shovel

The smaller shovel was the most interesting exhibit, and also happened to be the only one that was open to the public. Climbing inside I inspected the engine, and then settled into the driver’s seat after removing a few cobwebs.

After milling around Brutus a while longer I headed back into the museum area, where I viewed some scale models of various types of mining equipment, and watched a short film about Brutus’ creation and ultimate defeat. I purchased a refrigerator magnet on the way out, and received a scolding from the proprietors for failing to follow their instructions.

Brutus

Comments:

Comment from: affordable web design [Visitor] · http://www.ConstantWebsite.com
Hola Pal,

Sweet posts, good blog

Gracias.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Affordable Web Design
Permalink 11/28/07 @ 13:26
Permalink 01/29/08 @ 11:50
Comment from: Kevin [Visitor]
I had a similar experience at the end of this summer. The people in the gift shop/museum were really dicks to us. We really were being polite. I love to see things like this and am really disappointed when the people running them ruin the whole adventure for me. I don't think I will ever go back.
Permalink 12/13/08 @ 01:08
Comment from: Don [Visitor]
People like that should have jobs that require no customer contact
Permalink 06/08/09 @ 22:27
Comment from: sekanblogger [Visitor] · http://kansasmediocrity.wordpress.com/
I live very near Brutus, maybe 20 minutes. I saw it run when I was a kid.
Permalink 07/24/09 @ 13:08
Comment from: Blaise [Visitor] · http://qpq.csl.sri.com/Members/Trading
Badly need your help. He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; and he who dares not is a slave. Help me! It has to find sites on the: Financial stock trading. I found only this - stock trading taxes. Includes teachers who specialize and work with audibly. I haven't tinkered with the program much, but it seems to be easy to use. THX :rolleyes:, Blaise from Liberia.
Permalink 08/06/09 @ 13:50
Comment from: Dual action colon cleanser [Visitor] · http://www.ppdlearning.co.uk/Members/Cleanser/colon-cleansing-free
Hello. It is not much for its beauty that makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air that emanates from old trees, that so wonderfully changes and renews a weary spirit.
I am from Germany and too poorly know English, please tell me right I wrote the following sentence: "Other gas program for those who include a first energy for laxative causing this easy deficiency colon corn is 100 help regarded this is twenty-five, but i have also known worse."

Regards :-) Dual action colon cleanser.
Permalink 10/13/09 @ 12:43
Comment from: Professional laser teeth whitening [Visitor] · http://castelvolturno.electribe.com/Members/TeethWhitening/whitelight-tooth-whitening-system
Sorry. That would be a good thing for them to cut on my tombstone: Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment.
I am from Qatar and too bad know English, please tell me right I wrote the following sentence: "Teeth whitening, teeth believe occasions and a inside makeover of home wax."

Waiting for a reply :(, Professional laser teeth whitening.
Permalink 11/27/09 @ 13:27
Comment from: china handy [Visitor] · http://www.efox-shop.com
efox-shop the best place to buy dual SIM dual standby phone. The efox-shop service is good, and the full range, such as chinesische handy kaufen china handy kaufenGroßhandel Handy Grosshandel Handy Großhandel Handys chinesische handy tv handy Chinesische Handys welcome to purchase http://www.efox-shop.com chinesische handy kaufen china handy

Chinesische Handys
Permalink 07/28/10 @ 06:38
Comment from: Creative Recreation [Visitor] · http://www.sneakers4sales.com/
Your information of weblog is wonderful. It really is total of frustrations in our existence. We reside, we could not escape from them. We have got to face to them and sort out to handle concerns at final.
Permalink 08/19/10 @ 00:10