New here!

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
Kfoxx7
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

New here!

Post by Kfoxx7 »

My husband and I are relocating to Arkansas from Florida in a few months. We are avid explorers and looking for land to purchase that is big enough to have water such a river or creeks and cave systems. Maybe old mines I am doing a lot of research online and we are planning a December trip to get out again on our feet and see what we can find. We are drawn to these Ozarks. Beautiful and magical.
Any ideas from anyone on caves, good hikes, good history, land in the Northwest area we would love your info.
I’m spending my day looking through the threads here.
Really loving what I’m learning so far. 😁
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

Re: New here!

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

Welcome to MO and to the forum!

So, I have bad news for you. If you are looking for land in the NW portion of MO, you're in exactly the wrong area for caves and karst! Check out the caves distribution map of MO:

As you can see, the corners of our state are pretty lame except for McDonald County down there coming in clutch.

However, that's not to say the geology of NW MO is boring. It's flat, the rivers are sluggish, sure. BUT, it's in the glaciated plains! If you go to the extreme NW corner, you can see some really cool glacial deposits called loess (say: Luss) that makes big hills with steep bluffs made of just glacial soil. In fact, it's these glacial soils that are the reason why you dont see any caves up there - they're all covered up! The Missouri River was basically the southernmost point of the glaciers of the last ice age and lo and behold, everything south of that is cavey. There's a little more to it but there you go. Look more on the Ozark Plateau for caves.

Mines: MRDS is your friend
Else: Google Earth is your friend!

I'm a fan of the geology of MO, just a little bit.
CliffCaver
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by CliffCaver »

I like that bit about the glaciated plains
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

PANIC! on the Titanic wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:34 pm Welcome to MO and to the forum!

So, I have bad news for you. If you are looking for land in the NW portion of MO, you're in exactly the wrong area for caves and karst! Check out the caves distribution map of MO:

I think they meant the NW of Arkansas, which is ripe with caves.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

Nicotti wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:54 pm I think they meant the NW of Arkansas, which is ripe with caves.
Dammit, you right. My brain defaults to MO, I thought they were moving from AR to MO.

Kfoxx, if you're still on the forum, disregard all that shit I wrote, but then re-regard it as if you were moving to NW Missouri. Then it do be correct.