Curious about "Avin Sink" in Nixa

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
crm114
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Curious about "Avin Sink" in Nixa

Post by crm114 »

Howdy, I moved into Nixa about two years ago and was very curious about the fact that this state actually has caves. Unlike the boring clay geology of my home state Oklahoma. I can walk to the "Avin Sink" area into about 3mins. I was curious if anyone had pictures or could explain any more about this geological feature.

Recently we have had insane rainfall, water going into that sinkhole has been over five feet deep and at least thirty feet wide at some drainage junctures. Within about an hour the land is mostly dry. I just figure there must be some kind of crazy large and impressive sinkhole/cave system out here.

Anyhow, no experience caving- experience with fallpro is limited to industrial applications. So I was kind of hoping to live vicariously from some of the experts and enthusiasts here.

Just very curious about the geology below my feet. :D
CliffCaver
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Curious about "Avin Sink" in Nixa

Post by CliffCaver »

The sinkhole goes down 40 feet then only opens up maximum of 18ft tall and it goes back about 140ft there are no pictures of the cave on the internet. So if you go post pictures so we can see it!
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Looks like that sink (and the ones nearby) mostly drain to Blue Spring to the northwest.

GIS layers of dye traces are your friend: https://modnr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/weba ... a24a3cb935
Attachments
Avin Sinkhole Area Dye Trace.JPG
Avin Sinkhole Area Dye Trace.JPG (100.95 KiB) Viewed 15109 times
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

That said, it's unlikely that there is a navigable cave between the two points, that one could go through, prolly just the usual swiss cheese of dissolved cracks and fractures that water drains thru like natural pipes.

Although that shorter dye trace near the spring was injected into Saunders Valley, which does have a cave that goes nw to the spring area.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand