Fascination with the old?

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
RedRyder21
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Fascination with the old?

Post by RedRyder21 »

Where do the rest of you get the fascination with old and abandoned buildings?

For me I seemed to grow up around old things. I grew up in old houses and around antiques that my parents collected.

For me, there is just some connection that I feel when going into an old building. There were many old sheds and barns on my grandparents farm when I was a kid that were close to 100 years old and hadn't been used in years. My parents of course told me not to, but the buildings were just to fascinating to stay out of.

Now at the age of 23 I still seek out old buildings and while I am driving down the road I slow down when I see and intresting looking building...

What about the rest of you who post here?
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

RE: Fascination with the old?

Post by gimpface »

I just like to pretend I'm a post-apocalyptic warlord stalking the poisoned wasteland in search of victims. Tasty, tasy victims...
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
Redknight
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: Fascination with the old?

Post by Redknight »

gimpface wrote:I just like to pretend I'm a post-apocalyptic warlord stalking the poisoned wasteland in search of victims. Tasty, tasy victims...
*Is avaliable for a position as Left-Hand man.*

I like to climb shit.
-Andy
memory_machine
Resident Douchebag
Resident Douchebag

Post by memory_machine »

I just have a need to see every interesting place that I can and to explore unknown places. The fact that some are "off limits" makes them all the more appealing.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Re: Fascination with the old?

Post by BROUSER »

Fascination with the old is not so much the case. Fascination with the doomed might be more accurate. These places aren't going to be around forever, if don't see them now, won't ever.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
RedRyder21
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by RedRyder21 »

HHmmm... many goodpoints.

I do have to say I get a sort of "high" from being in places I don't belong.

I also love taking pictures of old, odd, and weird stuff...

So finding this site came naturally.
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Post by GlassCurtain »

I am constantly looking UE places while I'm driving too. The off limits is definitely appealing!

Also I like the eerieness of the places. Thinking of how a building came to its demise or what illegal things might have taken place there in its prime.
“I investigate things to complete my knowledge, my complete knowledge makes my thoughts sincere, my thoughts being sincere; my heart is pure.”

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glasscurtain/
darkcloud617
Sir Talks-a-lot
Sir Talks-a-lot

Post by darkcloud617 »

ok,d as for me i love abandoned places. Especially places that are restricted (besides like a old barn or somthing~ even though still cool) let's put it this way... If abandoned places were a person i would do them :P
whipping_post
The Corruptor
The Corruptor

Post by whipping_post »

I do admit that I have a fascination with the old, but I also enjoy architecture so there's that. There's just something about old furniture and houses that interest me. Unless the place smells like bum dung and dead people, I have to just burn those places down.
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign.
HMndnproud
Big Chief Little Shit
Big Chief Little Shit

Post by HMndnproud »

Here's a site with tons of old pictures. They were taken in the 30's and 40's. It's the Library of Congress. They sent people around during the depression to document what was going on. It has pictures from Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma. It's very interesting, if you like to look at old things, picts, etc...

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/fsowhome.html
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

I have to say I enjoy UE much more than caving, mostly due to the fact that UE is almost always illegal, and thus more of a rush. The areas we see are usually interesting in and of themselves, but the risk of being caught is the icing on the cake. And who the hell dosen't like icing?
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
idontlikespam
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by idontlikespam »

To me there is a certain beauty and care about the way older things were built and put together. There was much more attention to the details and things weren't mass produced the way they are now. There was more human involvement and heart put into the older things. That's why they appeal to me. Assembly line stuff just doesn't have the same appeal to me.
dawgchain
The Pumkin King
The Pumkin King

Post by dawgchain »

Knowledge, if I don't learn about it now first hand, all I can do is read someone else's biased opinion.
----------This space for rent----------
whipping_post
The Corruptor
The Corruptor

Post by whipping_post »

It's not so much bias with me as it is watching the decay of what probably once very beautiful. Sometimes the decay is what makes something even more beautiful. Some things from the 60's and 70's don't age very well and they look dated but something from an earlier period seems to not only be built better, but it ages differently; it retains a bit of elagance and beauty all its own.
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign.
peterbillionaire
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by peterbillionaire »

any abandoned place is interesting, but modern buildings seem mundane; old buildings are more ghostly and evocative; also they are more beautiful, even the plain ones; i want to see woodwork and plaster and real masonry and terra cotta; not wallboard and drop ceilings