Roof Top Exploration---Infiltration.

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
Sparkle
Stray Cat
Stray Cat

Roof Top Exploration---Infiltration.

Post by Sparkle »

Place:Former Department Store Roof

Well I recently found access to a roof top of a department store that is located in a "plaza" type area with only a few active buildings in it. It isn't all that interesting but has a great view of the water while I was there (night time).

Here are where my questions come into play... While on the roof I was curious how I could get inside the building. There was no visible roof top access area that I could see, and only quite a few roof top AC units, and candy cane shaped sheet metal ventalation ducts.

In movies, people always pop out of these sheet metal vents with little problem...but I am curious that If I can get into the ducts...I won't be able to get out. And If I am able to drop down into the store...How would I return to exit via rooftop? It seems pretty complicated.

I know a door would be the best way to enter...but I fear that one of the remaining live sections of teh plaza will see something suspicious, or the store will have security. I don't know how to lock pick...so that is a problem as well.

Do you guys have any advice?

Thanks!
-=Let them hate, as long as they also fear=-
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Yeah... If there's a ladder up to the roof, then there may not be a roof hatch. They just have to have some way for people to get up to the roof every few years to retar the thing.

I'd say go for trying the ventilation duct thing, but then I'm completely insane. I would be sure and bring a couple buddies with a rope, though, just in case there's no way to get back out or you get really stuck. Chances are you can probably find another way out once you're in anyway, though.
Sparkle
Stray Cat
Stray Cat

Post by Sparkle »

I did a little scouting today, by just doing a small lap around the L shaped building...looking into each entrance as I drove by....alot more "shops" that are empty than I expected.

Both the department store and the old grocery store are lit inside at night..and nothing remaining where shelves and aisles once were.

It still might be interesting...but I will make sure a buddy was to come with me if I enter, and make sure I have access to some way to ge tout :D

Pics To Come. Hopefully that will introduce more ideas. :!:
James the Red
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by James the Red »

I was on the rooftop of the reckitt building next to frenchs, pretty cool, the building overlooks all of I44 from 44 and 65 to strafford almost.
just another fly on the wall of life

White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

James the Red wrote:I was on the rooftop of the reckitt building next to frenchs, pretty cool, the building overlooks all of I44 from 44 and 65 to strafford almost.
Is that an abandoned building or an active one? I'm not familiar with it.
James the Red
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by James the Red »

very active, I work there. they just happned to have left the cover open one day, and I hualed ass up the ladder.
just another fly on the wall of life

White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Heh, that's awesome. Get some pictures if you get another opportunity like that.
Ford Prefect
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Roof Top Exploration---Infiltration.

Post by Ford Prefect »

Jake616 wrote:Place:Former Department Store Roof

Well I recently found access to a roof top of a department store that is located in a "plaza" type area with only a few active buildings in it. It isn't all that interesting but has a great view of the water while I was there (night time).

Here are where my questions come into play... While on the roof I was curious how I could get inside the building. There was no visible roof top access area that I could see, and only quite a few roof top AC units, and candy cane shaped sheet metal ventalation ducts.

In movies, people always pop out of these sheet metal vents with little problem...but I am curious that If I can get into the ducts...I won't be able to get out. And If I am able to drop down into the store...How would I return to exit via rooftop? It seems pretty complicated.

I know a door would be the best way to enter...but I fear that one of the remaining live sections of teh plaza will see something suspicious, or the store will have security. I don't know how to lock pick...so that is a problem as well.

Do you guys have any advice?

Thanks!
Strip mall. OK, what do you want to see in a strip mall anyway? On the contrary, in a strip mall; my educated asumption would be that no matter if the "slot" is empty, motion dectectors and an alarm system are still going strong. Do f*ck with it, you should already know what you will find in some stripmall to begin with.
Ryan B.
"Go where you think you want to go, do everything you were sent here for. Fire will and you hear that call, touch your hand to the wall at night." I'm a dork, and if you are a dork too, you just read some of my shit, don't get me wrong though!
Ford Prefect
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Ford Prefect »

Strip mall. OK, what do you want to see in a strip mall anyway? On the contrary, in a strip mall; my educated asumption would be that no matter if the "slot" is empty, motion dectectors and an alarm system are still going strong. Do f*ck with it, you should already know what you will find in some stripmall to begin with.
Ryan B.

That is what I wanted to say. Also, now that I have read myself back to me, I did not mean to sound like a dick. It just sounds like to big of a risk. Be carefull in the fact that a property owner will keep and alarm system operational even though it is empty, afterall it is his investment.
Ryan B.
"Go where you think you want to go, do everything you were sent here for. Fire will and you hear that call, touch your hand to the wall at night." I'm a dork, and if you are a dork too, you just read some of my shit, don't get me wrong though!
darkism
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by darkism »

Thank you Prefect, I was beginning to think that I was the only one that thought this was a bad idea and trouble waiting to happen.

The effort that you expend risking life and limb climbing through ventilation shafts to get into....an empty department store, which more than likely still has security active....it's just not worth it, I wouldn't think.

I would say to enjoy the view from the roof, then go find something fun and interesting to explore.
Sparkle
Stray Cat
Stray Cat

Post by Sparkle »

Yeah, thats what I ended up doing. I took a group of about 5 with me to the Storage Mines (my first U.E!..posted on UER). I felt uncomfortable w/ so many though...things went smooth though. :D I even got to wrap arms when running with my friends sister! :P...thats all though! :? haha

I am gonna get roof top and exterior pics soon! I havent yet though of the "strip mall".

I am thinking of seeing what there is near the high school. The roof top hatch of my work had a padlock on it :-(
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Jake616 wrote:Yeah, thats what I ended up doing. I took a group of about 5 with me to the Storage Mines (my first U.E!..posted on UER).
Psst... How about posting a thread about it in the Missouri forum? :)
Sparkle
Stray Cat
Stray Cat

Post by Sparkle »

Can't find the thread? :cry: It was over a year ago. :-P....but when I do find it..I will post here as well.

U.O needs more activity! :-D
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Jake616 wrote:Can't find the thread? :cry: It was over a year ago. :-P....but when I do find it..I will post here as well.

U.O needs more activity! :-D
Well, if you find it, post the text of the thread here. And yes, UO does need more activity. :) They say forums build slow though...
Sparkle
Stray Cat
Stray Cat

Post by Sparkle »

You Have A PM.

Yeah, a slow buildign forum could be a strong one :-D

I keep hearing mention of "UNF site" whats that?