Griesedieck Brothers beer being brewed again

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Griesedieck Brothers beer being brewed again

Post by SubLunar »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griesedieck_Brothers_beer

This may be old news...

I just missed the last six pack my favorite liquor store had. Anyone know where to find the stuff?

-

Quoth sl post dispatch:
History bubbles beneath the brew from the center tap at Dewey's Pizza.

Dewey's partner Dave Justice caught a glimpse of the tradition recently when he watched a baseball documentary on HBO. On the right side of old Sportsman's Park, Grand Avenue and Dodier Street in north St. Louis, was a big, red Griesedieck Brothers Beer sign.

"I'm sitting there going, 'That's sweet,'" Justice said. "How great is that?"

After an absence of 40-plus years, Griesedieck Brothers Beer has returned as a microbrew. Cousins Alvin "Buddy" Griesedieck of Warson Woods, Ray Griesedieck of Des Peres and Steve Butler of Defiance, owners of the Griesedieck Brothers Brewing Corp., plan to establish their own brewery. In the meantime, their special recipe is produced under contract by the Morgan Street Brewery on Laclede's Landing. Nineteen restaurants and nightspots, including Dewey's, in Kirkwood, now carry the microbrew on tap.

Once one of the largest breweries in St. Louis, Griesedieck Brothers sponsored radio broadcasts of the St. Louis Cardinals and the old St. Louis Browns games in the years before Anheuser-Busch purchased the Cardinals. Harry Caray, host of the sports program, reminded listeners the initials GB meant "good beer."

Today's German-style pilsener is better, the Griesedieck cousins say. Unlike its working-class grandfather, this microbrew follows a 13th-century German purity law that allows the use of only four ingredients: malted barley, hops, yeast and water. The old GB was corn-based and sweeter, they said.

Ray Griesedieck developed the golden pilsener during a conference with brewmaster John Witte of Trailhead Brewery in St. Charles, the beer's first contract brewer. It is styled after those brewed in Bitburg and Munich, Germany.

"We're going after drinkers who like a better beer," Buddy Griesedieck noted. "We're trying to bring back a tradition. There's beer in our blood."

"Literally," added Butler as he raised a glass of Griesedieck Brothers in a toast.

"We don't bleed red, we bleed yellow," Ray Griesedieck concurred.

More than two centuries ago, Johann Henrich Griesedieck opened the family's first brewery in Westphalia, Germany. Within eight years after descendants Anton and Heinrich immigrated to St. Louis in 1869, they acquired two local breweries and founded the A. Griesedieck Brewery Co. In 1911 Heinrich purchased the Consumers Brewery and named it Griesedieck Brothers for his sons: Anton, Henry, Raymond, Robert and Edward.

After Prohibition ended, three branches of the family went head-to-head in the St. Louis beer market. The Griesedieck Brothers ran their brewery; Anton's son, "Papa" Joe Griesedieck, produced the Falstaff line; and another family member, Henry L. Griesedieck, brewed Stag beer in Belleville.

"Griesedieck Brothers was always known as the beer with the funny name," Butler recalled. By 1937, its brewery at Shenandoah and Lemp avenues was known as the most modern brewery in St. Louis, and its product was regarded as one of the hometown's most popular brews. By 1950 the company sold nearly a million barrels a year.

Edward Griesedieck, Butler's grandfather and company president until his death in 1955, accepted no substitutes. Before departing the family home in the Lake Forest neighborhood for a vacation to Fort Lauderdale, Fla., he would instruct the chauffeur to pack the entire trunk — no suitcases allowed — with the family's signature product.

The cousins also recall visiting their Aunt Frances, the only sister of the five Griesedieck brothers. Frances never married and instead focused on her nieces, nephews and their progeny. Thanksgiving parties at her Hawthorne Avenue manse in Compton Heights featured four or five roasted turkeys and an overflowing guest list, they noted.

"At Christmas, the main dining room would be filled with gifts for everybody," Ray recalled. "It wasn't until Santa arrived we'd be allowed to go in and open them. At Easter the yard was filled with real eggs; when I got older, I helped dye the eggs."

Ray's father, Henry A., was the final president of the company before it was bought out by Falstaff in 1957. Falstaff closed in St. Louis in 1977, and in the mid-1980s an investor named Steve DeBellis purchased the GB trademark, but did not have the support of the family, the cousins said. Ray Griesedieck now owns the trademark.

As his sons were growing up, Ray focused his attention on their Scouting and school activities. He later turned his efforts to the incorporation of Griesedieck Brothers Brewing Corp. in 1992. By 2002, his two cousins were on board; that same year, patrons at Duff's Restaurant in the Central West End became the first to taste the new product.

"My dad died in 1984, and my passion has been to bring this back." Ray said. "I think he would like the product, but he would tell me I was crazy — a brewery is so capital-intensive."

Justice, who met with Buddy Griesedieck last year for a taste-test of the brew at Truffles in Ladue, said Dewey's patrons frequently recognize the Griesedieck name and ask for it.

"A lot of younger kids are wanting to drink what their grandfathers drank," Buddy agreed. "That nostalgia and history behind it, they find fascinating."
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

RE: Griesedieck Brothers beer being brewed again

Post by crazydrummerdude »

...there's the old painting on the side of, and the GB mural in the floor of the locker room of Falstaff #10.

Cool shit. Man, I love stuff like that.
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

need to fit the word bear in the title somehow to round it all out nicely
Kit wrote:I am old
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Huh?
doggboystl
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by doggboystl »

I think I bought it at Schnucks it was ok but I wouldnt go out of my way to buy it again. Lemp was better think I bought it at Schnucks to.
HTW Show us your hole and we will exploit it
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Lemp is just a name that's been stolen and bastardized. It's nothing like the "original" stuff, and the current owners even admit it. Hell, it's not even brewed in St Louis, so it can just fuck off for now.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Yeah I was drinking Lemp occasionally, but the owners shunned the idea of using the original recipe in a recent interview, saying no-one would drink that recipe these days. So they're clearly just trying to profit off the name which sucks. I would totally support them if they were actually honoring the name by using the real recipe.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Re: Griesedieck Brothers beer being brewed again

Post by ropingk »

well in not a drinker but id take a bet that if they made beer like they did 75 years ago most would not drink it and if they made it like the German beer im pretty sure no one would but that is from a non drinkers point of view
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

I just don't see it that way.

People've been drinkin' beer for thousands of years. Tastes change slightly, but it's the same stuff.

I saw a documentary where these people salvaged some beer from the bottles in the hull of a sunk 2000 year old Mediterranean ship. As an experiment, they recreated the beer, exactly like it was and with the same previously extinct yeast strain, and it was selling like crazy. People loved it.

..and now with all these "beer fags" and microbreweries everywhere, I don't see how a particular flavor of beer wouldn't have a decent following.

I don't drink beer either. One day, I want to own an old brewery, though.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Well alot of the imported stuff has been made the same way for hundreds of years.

Franziskaner is my favorite.
Machinist
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Machinist »

What's a "beer fag"?
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

People who talk about how it finishes in their mouth.

People who sniff it.

People who talk about pomegranateraspberryhoneycinnamonwhatever flavors.

People who pretend like they can taste how often hops were added to the brew.

People who wear turtlenecks.

etc
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

I've been to like 3 different Schnucks and a few Shop n Saves and still haven't tracked it down. Where the hell is this stuff?!
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Re: Griesedieck Brothers beer being brewed again

"I'll bet if it was up your ass, you'd know where it was."
vicrum
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by vicrum »

Culinaria (the new downtown Schnucks at 9th and Olive) has it. They have Lemp Beer too.
<What you really seek will never be found at eye level>