Much of Joplin is Destroyed

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Much of Joplin is Destroyed

Post by Scout »

A devastating tornado swept through in the evening hours.

http://www.joplinglobe.com/local/x43342 ... er-tornado

Many are dead. Others injured. Prayers uplifted to Jesus in their time of need. Unreal. Our thoughts go out to all survivors, families and those who are helping with the recovery efforts. May God bless you all.

St. John's was hit hard. Academy, Home Depot...gone. The High School is gone.
"That old hag hates my ass."
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Re: Much of Joplin is Destroyed

Post by slow_walker »

The death toll is now up to 89 confirmed dead this morning. I won't be surprised if it rises more.

So horrible. I've had tears in my eyes all night at work just reading every news article.
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

We live up west of Fort Scott, but unless you shop there or Iola, Joplin is the closest place. I went to school at Pittsburg and lived there for several years. Basically we're very familiar with Joplin. All those folks...I've communicated with a couple of people I know and they are okay. The hospital stood at least. It looked like the roof was off the main Walmart. Academy...we've got my daughter's softball shoes there three years in a row. Gone.

I see those pics and am amazed the death toll is not higher already. They estimated it at 100 loosely, last night. I can't imagine they will get away with that few. I know there are some members here who live in and around the city. My thoughts and prayers are with y'all. Godspeed.
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

Basically I was up all night last night, watching this. I thought seriously about grabbing my tools and a couple of my chainsaws, generator and flashlights and heading down. I've got some skills. I decided that they were probably overwhelmed enough. The two ambulances from the little town closest to us were heading east last night. I'm sure they're down there. Just terrible.
slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »

Yea, I am worried about some of our friends who post here and live in the Joplin area. I'm hoping they are okay and will check in here soon.
slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »

testube
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by testube »

This is just terrible. What a tragic event. I can't even imagine...
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

The damage is unreal. How awful for those poor people. The deadliest single tornado this country has seen in over 50 years is what the Weather Channel said.
testube
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by testube »

Plus, all of this add'l rain we're getting can't be good for the rescue efforts. :(
cousin
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by cousin »

I'll post pictures later, i haven't talked to Kyro or Blackout, but their homes were not in the path of destruction.
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Post by GlassCurtain »

I was in Joplin today. Here's a pic of st johns. Every major road was blocked off. I couldn't get very close.

Here some pics of academy sports and walmart a friend took.

We do a lot of work with walmart. They turned in a critial call this morning for us to find their back office servers. Apparently they didn't know how severe the damage was. My co-worker went to the walmart. He said he just left once they started recovering bodies.
“I investigate things to complete my knowledge, my complete knowledge makes my thoughts sincere, my thoughts being sincere; my heart is pure.”

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glasscurtain/
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Much of Joplin is Destroyed

Post by SubLunar »

I am thankful for any day that something like this doesn't happen to me. I can't imagine...
monkey1976
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Much of Joplin is Destroyed

Post by monkey1976 »

Some friends and I are heading down from StL this coming weekend to deliver some donations and help out however we can.

If anyone else wants to help out in person, read this so you know where to go: http://www.kspr.com/news/local/kspr-how ... 4098.story
slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »

I've seen a lot of tornado damage pictures over the years, but the cars here are more mangled than anywhere else I've ever seen.
testube
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by testube »

Just heard on the radio that the confirmed death toll in Joplin has risen to 122, with about 1500 still missing. Also heard that another set of twisters has formed to the West, and have already killed 4 in Oklahoma so far.

Sounds like anyone living in the MO/AR/OK/KS corner area may be in for a scary night. Everybody stay safe and alert!