Now that I've been in Doling Cave

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

RE: Now that I've been in Doling Cave

Post by Sertile »

I have a comment/request for everybody. I'm sure you all noticed the new gate on Doling Cave, or at least heard about it. The thing is it's attractive, a lot more bat-friendly than the mishmash of rebar they had barring the entrance, it cost a lot of money, and it was all installed through volunteer labor by the Ozark Highlands Grotto. What I'm saying is, please don't try to tamper with it or hack your way through, regardless of how you feel about gated caves. If you think you can squeeze through, be my guest (I doubt anyone's head is going to fit), just don't mess with it otherwise.

Maybe someday the gate will come down, but in the meantime they're just going to rebuild it bigger and uglier every time some yahoo with a cutting torch decides to give themselves a personal tour.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
RaccoonCC
Big Sexy
Big Sexy

Post by RaccoonCC »

Yeah, Sertiles right. and i know i said that sequiota cave should be gated before doling, at least people in the community are doing something to protect some form of cave life in the area. Did any of you pick on the missouri karst magazine while you were at the tour? it had a really interesting article on cave conservation in it..it was written by a couple of guys, one of which was in OHG.
I'm not good I'm not nice i'm just right. I'm witch...You're the world.
bluecookies
Buckeye
Buckeye

Post by bluecookies »

speaking of Sequiota cave. I know some of you have been in the stream with a raft, and then theres the big one next to it that dead ends just around the corner, but then next to that there is a small one where it looks like you'd have to crawl a ways, anyone been in there or know anything about it?
RaccoonCC
Big Sexy
Big Sexy

Post by RaccoonCC »

I crawled into it for a pretty good distance, but then the bats started coming at me and my group....we decided to leave at that point. i didn't see an end in sight though...
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

I've crawled back to the end of the smaller Sequiota cave. It only goes back about 50 ft, then there's a little round room like a bear's den that's just big enough to turn around, but you have to squeeze through a bottleneck first. It's a fun crawl, not too sharp and not too wet.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
RaccoonCC
Big Sexy
Big Sexy

Post by RaccoonCC »

Just a random comment, but has anyone actually ever successfully contacted melvin johnson through the phone? he failed to return my calls yet again.... :?
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

No, he's elusive. If you want to talk to him you'll have to trap him. Just show up to the community center some time unannounced and ask to see him.
RaccoonCC
Big Sexy
Big Sexy

Post by RaccoonCC »

grrrrrr....
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

G$# D%^& M#$%@* F@#$@#@ Springfield Park Board... I hope they rot in Hell! Just like the Schoolboard they are intent on waisting taxpayer dollars on shit! Why close up any cave??? F$%^&@$ B!@$!#%& shouldn't even own Doling Park... they are the reason it looks like shit and no one ever wants to go there. They're also trying hard to f$%# up Fastnight Park and, well there isn't really much to destroy at Phelps Grove. Sequiota is as far gone as Doling. AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
RaccoonCC
Big Sexy
Big Sexy

Post by RaccoonCC »

....amen.
bluecookies
Buckeye
Buckeye

Post by bluecookies »

have you seen the pillars at the entrance of doling? wow they totally screwed them up. the guide said they are trying to "modernize" the park or something to attract more people, they aren't doing a very good job
dawgchain
The Pumkin King
The Pumkin King

Post by dawgchain »

The worst kind of argument is the kind where one side gripes and b@tches but never does anything about it. Either get on the court and play ball or shut up in the stands.... I am just as mad about the mistakes made with ALL parks owned by Springfield, but I haven't came up with a way to change anything, so I say my opinion and then wait until I find a way..... I don't cry like a 4 yr old after an accident.

Start a protest or something....Find your cause and stand for it. The cave at doling is gated because it is still a live cave, the bats as well. Sequiota as well. The danger isn't to you, but the cave its-self. Don't be selfish. I know none of you would harm the cave, but what of the entire Hillcrest high student body? If that cave were open, every skipper in school would hide there because it would be perfect. Do you think they give a damn about the cave?

I wish that they would open up for the public a lot more often, say open on weekends or something. Maybe rent it like they do the pavilions or something.... We could probably get a petition or protest going for something like that.

My point is, the stands are for fans, the court is for players... all else need to go home.[/b]
----------This space for rent----------
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: Now that I've been in Doling Cave

Post by White Rabbit »

bluecookies wrote:the guide said they are trying to "modernize" the park or something to attract more people, they aren't doing a very good job
Pretty much the only way they're going to attract more people to Doling is to magically pluck up and plant the entire park in a better area of town :P
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

dawgchain wrote:The worst kind of argument is the kind where one side gripes and b@tches but never does anything about it. Either get on the court and play ball or shut up in the stands.... I am just as mad about the mistakes made with ALL parks owned by Springfield, but I haven't came up with a way to change anything, so I say my opinion and then wait until I find a way..... I don't cry like a 4 yr old after an accident.

Start a protest or something....Find your cause and stand for it. The cave at doling is gated because it is still a live cave, the bats as well. Sequiota as well. The danger isn't to you, but the cave its-self. Don't be selfish. I know none of you would harm the cave, but what of the entire Hillcrest high student body? If that cave were open, every skipper in school would hide there because it would be perfect. Do you think they give a damn about the cave?

I wish that they would open up for the public a lot more often, say open on weekends or something. Maybe rent it like they do the pavilions or something.... We could probably get a petition or protest going for something like that.

My point is, the stands are for fans, the court is for players... all else need to go home.[/b]
Well if I wasn't so frickin broke all the time or busy working I'd start something but I just don't have the time/money.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Reggie
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Reggie »

RaccoonCC wrote:Just a random comment, but has anyone actually ever successfully contacted melvin johnson through the phone? he failed to return my calls yet again.... :?

If anyone is able to contact him, you should try to coerce him into taking another vanload to HaHaTonka to tour the caves. I've been waiting to read about another trip, thinking it might be a yearly thing, but maybe he burnt out on it. :(