The future of Jordan Creek

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
cobcob
Aequitas
Aequitas

The future of Jordan Creek

Post by cobcob »

Just ran across a pile of PDF's outlining a proposal for the future of the Jordan Creek and the tunnel. Looks like they're planning extensive re-works of it all, don't know how long it'll take or if this proposal has even been accepted.
cobcob

http://www.swl.usace.army.mil/planning/ ... study/pdf/

**Edit, looks like it might be going ahead, the Springfield public works dept. page outlines the "daylighting" of Jordan creek between National and Fremont just south of Division (http://www.ci.springfield.mo.us/egov/pu ... index.html)
GlassCurtain wrote:I like to masturbate during the sexual harassment films at work.
Pinkspider wrote:check here for geeky crotch eating goodness and crazy fake ass hair
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Re: The future of Jordan Creek

Post by Sertile »

Well, I've heard this story before, and while it is true that they've opened portions of the creek already, and most likely intend to open more, I doubt the main section under Water St. would or even could be uncapped, as it would mean doing away with Water St. all together, and probably demolishing several buildings.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Sertile wrote:Well, I've heard this story before, and while it is true that they've opened portions of the creek already, and most likely intend to open more, I doubt the main section under Water St. would or even could be uncapped, as it would mean doing away with Water St. all together, and probably demolishing several buildings.
The City is looking really hard at trying to buy Willowbrook out eventually but who knows when that will be. Anywho, not many buildings are over the creek anymore. The part west of Campbell could be finished opened up if they wanted to. That part of Water St. really shouldn't be used as it's really just a narrow Alley type road and was never originally intended for any sort of public traffic. (the old sanborn maps show it closed off) East of Jefferson they could open the creek up and it would not be a big deal. No historic buildings (or any old buildings for that matter) sit over the tunnle. The problamatic part is between Jefferson and Campbell. Hontestly Water Street wasn't actually put in between Campbell and Boonville until around the 1970's or so and it's not really that important of a street. Mill is just futher north by only about 100 feet. As far as between Jefferson and Boonville, the building at the corner of Water and Boonville is a rather ugly and unimportant building built in the 1940's. Before then there was a differnet Victorian brick structure that sat on the corner directly over the creek but there was nothing between it and the building next to the corner structure. That buildign and the old Harry Cooper building do have the back parts of their buildings over the tunnel... however the city could have the creek path rerouted to go behind the buildings and reconnect with the old Boonville bridge. Willowbrook foods sits directly over the tunnel after it goes under the railroad tracks. The city has been talking about buying willowbrooks property for a few years now and it's even in the Jordan Creek park plans to put a park where the Willowbrook complex is. Sooo... it's very fesible that the city could uncover all of Jordan Creek downtown... I just wish they would quit calling the trickle that comes in from the south at the bend the southern branch of Jordan Creek. It was never originally part of the Jordan Creek name and should be named something else if they are going to name it. As far as the part between national and Fremont, they'll finish it. What's been done so far is alright... I wish they would have made it look like the parts that goes through Silver Springs park and Smith park though.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
cobcob
Aequitas
Aequitas

Post by cobcob »

If you look at PDF's #5&6 you'll see that they are actually proposing a tunnel where there currently is one, not sure if the diagram follows exactly along where it is now or if they're talking of building a new one.
GlassCurtain wrote:I like to masturbate during the sexual harassment films at work.
Pinkspider wrote:check here for geeky crotch eating goodness and crazy fake ass hair
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

The tunnel does run under that section of Water St. that runs behind Martha's Vineyard right up to the intersection at the Park Central Parking lot. They'd have to get rid of that section of street, which is pretty well used, and replace that intersection with a bridge over the creek.

It could be done, but it seems like there'd be better uses for taxpayer money.
Mindscape
The Leprechaun
The Leprechaun

Post by Mindscape »

White Rabbit wrote:It could be done, but it seems like there'd be better uses for taxpayer money.
Meaning you should expect it to start happening just any old day now.
"I'm going deeper underground.
There's too much panic in this town."
mjames
Prodigal Son Returns
Prodigal Son Returns

Post by mjames »

I know some employees of Willowbrook, and the company seems to be doing pretty well, so i really don't see the city buying them out without either trucks full of cash or a serious problem happening at WillowBrook... (if the city really wanted them gone though, a collapse of the tunnel under Willowbrook would suit just fine...)
Back in Black!
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Cash and/or a good location in an industrial park...it's not like downtown is that friendly for truck traffic.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

mjames wrote:I know some employees of Willowbrook, and the company seems to be doing pretty well, so i really don't see the city buying them out without either trucks full of cash or a serious problem happening at WillowBrook... (if the city really wanted them gone though, a collapse of the tunnel under Willowbrook would suit just fine...)
I was actually refering to the city buying the property and moving Willowbrook. But that's so far in the future and that's IF the city can come up with the funds or the fed and state can give the city the funds that that would even happen.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
dawgchain
The Pumkin King
The Pumkin King

Post by dawgchain »

I have worked at willowbrooks Foods myself. and I have never heard anyone say it was doing fine..... Profits are dropping constantly. They keep buying new machines that fuck up adn wind up costing them shit loads just so they cna sit in the manley building parking lot and rust. Neither plant is doing good. The jefferson street plant is better off then the Main st., but not by much. If offered enough just to purchase one new building, they would sell both in a heartbeat! hell, a good 75% of the mainstreet plant still has plywood floors from50 yrs ago.... walking on them cause them to creak and sag, adn yet they still drive 2000lbs of turkey across them!. hell you can look in spots all the way down to the floor below!
----------This space for rent----------