fall out shelters

Urban exploration in Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas City, Kansas
bluecookies
Buckeye
Buckeye

RE: fall out shelters

Post by bluecookies »

I heard when the school was buying more property back then like you said turner did not go through and Washington either was or was planned to go from High Street on the south headed north, but the school negotiated buying up some of the property there in exchange for turner going through now as we know it.

I also heard that in that area where one of our bigger parking lot is that there used to be a few houses there that the school bought, tore down, and just bulldozed them in thier basements, filled it with dirt and put the parking lot right over them. woo hoo, great planning! another reason why there were so many sinkholes eating our lots.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Well officially Washington used to go from High St. all the way to where Turner is. Washington north of High was never paved and there were never houses on either side of it on that streach. I will say that it dead ended at the street car line because just north of that point the landscape is steep and hilly because of the creek.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
bluecookies
Buckeye
Buckeye

Post by bluecookies »

I didn't know that about the street cars. And thats what I had thought about Washington extending to where Turner is now. The houses I'm refering to where on Summit between High Street and where Turner is now on the west side. I'm pretty sure I've seen pictures of that. There are also spots on the few blocks around some of our buildings where the original curb was poured to give space for driveways where houses either were or were planned to go, or both. Out of curiosity, where do you go to know all this info? have you researched this stuff before and just remember, or look it up as it comes up? I'm a small history buff especially on the north end of Springfield.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps :D
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
peterbillionaire
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by peterbillionaire »

concerning the empire theater being a fallout shelter: while you waited for the nuclear holocaust to end i guess you could watch a movie?
S1L3N7B0B
Lunch Box
Lunch Box

Re: RE: fall out shelters

Post by S1L3N7B0B »

peterbillionaire wrote:concerning the empire theater being a fallout shelter: while you waited for the nuclear holocaust to end i guess you could watch a movie?
Dr. Strangelove anyone?
We might die from medication
But we sure killed all the pain ~ Conor Oberst
youthsonic
Urban Perversion
Urban Perversion

Post by youthsonic »

Good one...

Or Terminator 2 to prepare yourself for the pending robotic invasion?
"fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
JBSlarti
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by JBSlarti »

Yep, I have to agree about every other large building being a fallout shelter. My old high school, Winnetonka, had a fallout shelter behind one of the big walk-in freezers in the kitchen. We toured it back after the end of the Soviet Union. My grandparents worked for the North Kansas City School District for years and most of the older schools had a shelter of some sort. One, Lakeview Elementary School, has (or at least had) this kick-ass half-height access tunnel that runs the length of the school. It was never a shelter because it was too small, but I remember as a kid thinking that was the coolest thing.
nuskool
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by nuskool »

sounds nice
kc explorers member
-security gaurds are just speedbumps-
-woogie boogie bitches!