Granite City Pickling Plant

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
gnar_hesh
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Granite City Pickling Plant

Post by gnar_hesh »

Does anyone know anything about or been to the southwestern portion of the Granite City Pickling Plant? It looks fuckin rad.

Here -

https://www.google.com/maps/place/38%C2 ... 9103?hl=en

I parked in a nearby neighborhood to the south, then hiked quite a way up the train tracks. I wondered across the "ruins" of whatever was on that lot to the south of the pickling plant, and finally made my way to a barbed-wire fence with signs warning of video surveillance. The place looked only looked inhabited by the cold wind, and I suspect the video surveillance signs are a bluff. There is a spot in the southwest corner of the fence near the train tracks where it looks like someone had cut the fence back, but whoever at the plant has come by and zip tied it back. I wasn't really in the mood to be caught on camera (whether fake or real) cutting zip ties.

Thanks for any intel!
Would you like to know more?

IG:@Gnarlord_of_the_Wasteland
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: Granite City Pickling Plant

Post by SubLunar »

Unfortunately, that place does indeed have video surveillance and they are *very* aggressive about chasing people out of there. Most of the standing buildings are currently in use as storage and they have lots of stuff stored therein. I know of a situation several years ago where they had cops surround the site and the people exploring it barely made it out of there.

Myself and a comrade did get inside a while back but they knew we were there and we were forced to make a quick exit. As a result, I definitely don't recommend trying it unless you're up for a pretty stressful time.
gnar_hesh
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by gnar_hesh »

SubLunar wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:39 pm Unfortunately, that place does indeed have video surveillance and they are *very* aggressive about chasing people out of there. Most of the standing buildings are currently in use as storage and they have lots of stuff stored therein. I know of a situation several years ago where they had cops surround the site and the people exploring it barely made it out of there.

Myself and a comrade did get inside a while back but they knew we were there and we were forced to make a quick exit. As a result, I definitely don't recommend trying it unless you're up for a pretty stressful time.

Damn, that sucks. Place looks awesome. Were you able to snap any pics before they chased you off?
Would you like to know more?

IG:@Gnarlord_of_the_Wasteland
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Since this is a public thread, I plead the 5th. In fact, I just forgot what we were talking about. Oh look, a cat!
christopher
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by christopher »

Just south of the plant, is an old abandoned school. Still looks like it is there today per google. Close to the four railroad tracks. There once was a tunnel under the rail tracks to get to the parking lot to the east, currently full of pallets per google image. In the 90s I was working right there on the east side of the tracks and the tunnel entrance was above ground with stairs down to a sealed entrance to the tunnel. I was told it was for students/teachers to use to cross the tracks underneath. I believe the above ground entrance structure is gone and suspect the tunnel has been filled in, but I don't know that for a fact.