Wrong info on the benton park cave access

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
lpfan
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster
Location: cuba mo bourbon mo sullivan mo troy mo imperial mo st louis and now rolla

Wrong info on the benton park cave access

Post by lpfan »

that manhole cover was nothing but a drain but i belive that i have found the manhole entrance to the cave it seems to be tack welded shut pm me for more info i wanna go
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

RE: Wrong info on the benton park cave access

Post by redox »

The entrance to the cave under Benton park has been lost for a hundred years. Good luck on finding it :wink:
White Rabbit wrote:Welcome back. Find some cool stuff and tell us about it :P
lzrturbo91
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by lzrturbo91 »

i wannt go .. where is benton park?
squabbit
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by squabbit »

My understanding was that the entrance to the cave in Benton Park was through a sinkhole that was located underneath where the current ponds. Apparently the weight of the water that accumulated in the ponds over the hole would occasionally cause the debris clogging the entrance (and thus creating the ponds) to give way and the whole thing would go crashing into the cave system. As a result, they poured a concrete basin for the ponds, and sealed the cave entrance. You know, Benton Park, before becoming a neighborhood park, was a cemetery for, primarily, victims of the 1849 cholera epidemic. these people were supposedly moved, but as a professional archaeologist I know that headstones were much easier to move than bodies. Given that the people who were buried there were cholera victims, and also knowing that some of them were paupers, I wouldn't be surprised at all if some of them weren't just dumped into that sinkhole.
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Re: Wrong info on the benton park cave access

Post by Chris »

Supposedly, they were moved to Arsenal Island. I've always assumed that to be true, but who knows.

There's been many anecdotal storis about cave entrances in sheds, back rooms, and basements in the surrounding neighborhood, but I've yet to see anyone go door-to-door asking people if they have a cave in their basement.

I've read that there was supposedly an entrance under the bridge in Benton park, but this has proven false. At least now, maybe there was long ago.
lpfan
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster
Location: cuba mo bourbon mo sullivan mo troy mo imperial mo st louis and now rolla

Post by lpfan »

where is arsenal island and shit i would be half tempted to go door to door if gettin shot by a crackhead wasnt a possibility lol
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Post by Chris »

Arsenal Island is on the Illinois side of the Mississippi. It's not really an island though, I don't know why they call it that.
lpfan
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by lpfan »

assuming what i have found the entrance we all go down there and come down with chlorea sounds fun another outbreak lol is there anything interesting on the "island"
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Post by Chris »

Farm feilds is about it. You know the Cahokia power plant with the six smokestacks? It's just south of there.
lpfan
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by lpfan »

everyone go to benton park the ground is collapsing check it out
memory_machine
Resident Douchebag
Resident Douchebag

Post by memory_machine »

Redox and I checked it out. We are 99.99 percent sure that the water drained into the cave, but the sinkholes didn't go anywhere that a human could fit. Besides, the whole situation seemed pretty dangerous.
lpfan
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by lpfan »

i almost fell into that big ass hole being careless there is a few more spot that seems to be collapsing i wonder what the hell is goin on
squabbit
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by squabbit »

Maybe we should all go over there and jump up and down. Maybe we could get the hole a little bigger :shock:
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

want some pictures.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
squabbit
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by squabbit »

Is that a question? Yeah, post some pictures. I'll probably go by there this weekend and check it out. Man, you just can't keep a good sinkhole down.