Suggestions

Urban exploration in Missouri
joesomebody
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Suggestions

Post by joesomebody »

Hi everyone...found this site searching for Dogpatch (thinking of going and exploring it sometime). I am a Springfieldian, BTW...I just got back from crater of diamonds in Murfreesborough. No luck, but that place is lots of fun! Anyways, I have 2 places that would be fairly interesting to explore:

The abandoned drive in theatre on Kearney street - there are also little abandoned rock houses up and down this street...interesting looking things. My dad said they used to be little hotel type things.

Then, Outside Rogersville- Going down HWY 60, turn at the wooded road that has the sign that says "Teh Hair Loft." Keep going straight and pass a bunch of houses. There will be a field right before you get to the railroad tracks. In the middle of that field is a gigantic sink hole. I have seen it flood there as I was going to a buddy's house...During the dry season would be the best time, I suppose.
dogpatchexpert
Someone Say Dogpatch?
Someone Say Dogpatch?

RE: Suggestions

Post by dogpatchexpert »

Just like i say dogpatch is 50% or more of Underground Ozarks hits. that how i found it more then a year ago.

Any ways

Welcome to the site. Need any info on dogpatch i know a bit about dogpatch i might can help you with
Dogpatch Expert
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Hey, awesome suggestions, joe. About how deep is that sinkhole?
joesomebody
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by joesomebody »

I donno how deep that sinkhole is...but I think it leads to a hydrafoil (underground river, where wells draw water from)...It is in what is now considered part of Rogersville, but on the maps it is shown as Palmetto, as below. It is, like I said in front of those railroad tracks. Do not turn right on a road that leads to tracks on the farm road, just continue straight. The field is ahead, directly in front of the tracks. The sinkhole is in a straight line from a dip in the road, that comes before a curve. There is a cool old train station there, down that road and to the left a bit, but don't try to get in, it is locked, and owned by one of my friends. The place is also infested with honey bees. But, good luck on the sinkhole. Might want to put a vid cam and light on a rope and run it down there first.

Text directions from Springfield:
http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main ... Mo&2z=&2y=
Attachments
palmetto
palmetto
palmetto.jpg (58.28 KiB) Viewed 12349 times
joesomebody
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

x

Post by joesomebody »

xfv
Sparkle
Stray Cat
Stray Cat

Post by Sparkle »

I am assuming a hydrafoil would bea dangerous place to get into due to where it goes correct? Or is there a way (small inflatable raft) where you could see it safely? It is basically a tube shaped cave correct?

Havent had much sink hole experience. Did see a "service entrance" according to the sigh of a local tourists cave open year round...Could be fun. I'll scout soon.
-=Let them hate, as long as they also fear=-
joesomebody
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by joesomebody »

I know it is round, but am not sure how deep or how wet it really is. I will try to take a look sometime and see.
ann_marie
Explore Whore
Explore Whore

Re: Suggestions

Post by ann_marie »

joesomebody wrote:Hi everyone...found this site searching for Dogpatch (thinking of going and exploring it sometime). I am a Springfieldian, BTW...I just got back from crater of diamonds in Murfreesborough. No luck, but that place is lots of fun! Anyways, I have 2 places that would be fairly interesting to explore:
Hi Joe, where and what is crater of diamonds? Sounds interesting.

~Ann Marie~
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

ann_marie wrote:Hi Joe, where and what is crater of diamonds? Sounds interesting.

~Ann Marie~
It's a park in Murfreesboro, AR, about an hour west of Hot Springs. You can go there and they let you dig for diamonds, which are rich in that area for some reason. They say most people don't usually find anything, but occasionally people do, especially after it rains. There's been some good-sized diamonds come out of there, though.
ann_marie
Explore Whore
Explore Whore

Post by ann_marie »

It's a park in Murfreesboro, AR, about an hour west of Hot Springs. You can go there and they let you dig for diamonds, which are rich in that area for some reason. They say most people don't usually find anything, but occasionally people do, especially after it rains. There's been some good-sized diamonds come out of there, though.
Wow! Do they let you keep the ones you find? I think I heard about a place like that but fishing for rubies. I can't remember where it was though. :?
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

ann_marie wrote:Wow! Do they let you keep the ones you find?
Yup, you can keep anything you find. People have made some quick money that way. There's also some other precious stones you can find there, but I'm not sure which.
ann_marie
Explore Whore
Explore Whore

Post by ann_marie »

Never thought I'd want to go to Arkansas in my lifetime, but I can't pass up a profitable hide and seek game!!! Probably wait until the first of next year though to go. Any other information I should know?

~Ann Marie
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: Suggestions

Post by White Rabbit »

ann_marie wrote:Never thought I'd want to go to Arkansas in my lifetime, but I can't pass up a profitable hide and seek game!!! Probably wait until the first of next year though to go. Any other information I should know?

~Ann Marie
Not that I know of, but I've never been there myself. But when you get tired of digging all day and not finding diamonds you can go an hour or two east to Hot Springs, spend 20 bucks at one of the crystal mines, and dig for a few hours there. You will absolutely get lucky there. I did it the summer before last, dug for about five hours, and came home with a potato sack stuffed FULL of crystals, some of them as big as soda bottles. It was awesome.