New Lebanon tunnel

Urban exploration in Missouri
Redknight
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

New Lebanon tunnel

Post by Redknight »

Well while out in town doing some night photography, I noticed this unusually large manhole, like, twice the regular size of the ones over a gutterbox. I trace it along this street and a day or two later I go in with a crowbar to pop it. The damn thing is heavy! I wasnt willing to stick my fingers in there to try to pry the thing up, it feels like its over 100 lbs. I was however, able to look into and see that it was filled with pipes and either hoses or wire bundles, so Ive concluded its a utility tunnel.

Im unsure of the length of it and how large the actual tunnel is, but damn, I really wanna get into it. I may go sometime at night and try my hand at one of those manholes agian.

On a totally unrelated note, I heard from a local caver that theres some water filled caves that run under 'Old town' in lebanon. He said that the entrance is somewhere north of town and people have gone through it on boats. Thought some of the cave-goons here might be interested. :)
-Andy
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: New Lebanon tunnel

Post by White Rabbit »

Hmm... What's the logo on the manhole say? May be a phone company tunnel or something.
Redknight
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: New Lebanon tunnel

Post by Redknight »

Actually that may be right, although I cant remember what it says. One end of it goes beside a building and an antenna owned by sprint in downtown lebanon. I walked up this alleyway that I think is on top of it, and in the middle there was a circle painted and it said "------ optical fiber" so it may very well be. Reguardless I'd still like to get into this thing, as decent drains and tunnels in lebanon are few and far between.

Im not sure that it is solely used for the phone company though.
-Andy