Start 'em young

Urban exploration in Missouri
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Start 'em young

Post by BROUSER »

So I went down to see my grandmother with my kids Sunday, and stopped at the cave on the family property. Had to wade some brush with the kids, and climb a rocky slope, but my daughter really enjoyed herself. She was mad because I didn't bring my flashlight so we could go further back into the cave. The other side of the hill they were climbing in the entrance slopes off pretty steeply down into the main cave, and I would have been hard pressed to get Jack Attack down and back up and still keep an eye on Oggert. I'll take her sometime when it's just the two of us.
A view from the outside
going in
wanting to press onward
creeping up
there's a split at the top of the cave, this is the view from the top of the hill upward. it's very climbable if you want to go out that way, rather than walking out.
this is a little pocket just off the entrance. i think it's manmade, or i have been told that. my great-great grandfather spent a lot of time on this cave. he dug it out more, tried various ways to find more passages. there actually is another entrance that a groundhog might use. he also tried digging down from the top of the hill the cave is in. when you go down into the cave, it pretty much just opens up into a big room. there were formations, but most are gone. at the top of the back of the room is a spring. my g-g-grandpa built a collection box out of concrete under it, ran a pipe from that out of the cave and to a water tank for livestock. his name and several other people are scratched into the concrete. he was a pretty weird guy from all stories i have heard. when his barn filled up with cowshit, rather than shovel it out he burned it down and built a new one.
Last edited by BROUSER on Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

RE: Start 'em young

Post by slow_walker »

Hey that's really cool that your kids enjoyed it so much. Of course, that fearlessness could fade with age. I know mine sure did. :D But it's totally cool that they were anxious to go farther.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Re: Start

Post by BROUSER »

Oggert is far from fearless. She's scared of heights and scared of the dark. So it was a pleasant surprise that she wasn't afraid. She has been in several commercial caves, though, so I guess it didn't occur to her to be afraid. She isn't at all shy around new people. Jack Attack is fearless when it comes to heights and darkness, but he is very, very shy around new people.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Start 'em young! lol not always a good policy to follow depending on what it is you're applying it to :wink:
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

Great pics it is good to share these times with the little ones they will remember the fun times you had TOGTHER even when they are a lot older and life getts real sucky they will think back and smile 8)
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
Mindscape
The Leprechaun
The Leprechaun

Post by Mindscape »

Or they'll be all like, "Hey, I know a place where we can hide the bodies..."
"I'm going deeper underground.
There's too much panic in this town."
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I hope they are smarter than that. I'll show them a much better place to hide bodies.
― Ken Ham
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

The plan this weekend is for my brother, my nephew and a friend or two of my nephews to camp in this cave and do some digging to open up the entrance a little more. Might even find some Native American artifacts, I suppose, although I think they were pretty well cleaned out some time ago.
― Ken Ham