Times Beach

Urban exploration in Missouri
bluecookies
Buckeye
Buckeye

Times Beach

Post by bluecookies »

Hey guys, its been awhile. I was told by someone who lived in MO in the 80's that there was a town near Eureka Springs by St. Louis called Times Beach. During the 80's there was some toxic chemical scare that evacuated the town and the government actually bought the town. They removed the exit for it from I-44. He said sometimes if you know where to look on I-44 you can look through the woods and see the old streets that are now abandoned. Anyone know anything more of this?
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

RE: Times Beach

Post by Willard »

It's now the Route 66 State Park also the town you're thinking of that Times Beach used to be near is Eureka. If you do some digging through some of the older threads you'll find where the topic of Times Beach has been practically drivin in to the ground. (funny how that goes with topics around here)
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Re: Times Beach

Post by ropingk »

Willard is as usall right it is Route 66 State PArk you can bike ride Hores ride and hike the exit is still there as is the old brdige not really much to see unless you were from there
"Toxic Chemical Scare---Goverment Cover-up??????????
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
caver
I Need A Title!
I Need A Title!

Post by caver »

It's actually pretty close to Six Fags over Mid America.
Caving impaired,,,too old, too fat, don't care.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

the exit just befor the Euraka Exit--which was always strange that if Times Beach was poisoned with dixion then why wasnt the ground under Six Flags????
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
Gauge
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Gauge »

Times Beach was tainted with dioxin because it was mix in with the street sealer. When the streets were sealed it tainted the whole town.
Gauge
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Gauge »

BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Times Beach was no Love Canal. Was kind of scary at the time, but in hindsight, it wasn't that big of a deal. It amazes me now how quickly a town can be dismantled. Don't see it so much any more, but I swear the largest deer population in the state had to be around that area back in the early 90's. Nobody was killin' and eatin' them deer.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Gauge
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Gauge »

It may not have been as bad as love canal but I still wouldn't want the area around my house to be coverd in dioxin
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Dioxin, lead, electric radiation from major power lines. It's always gonna be something. I live pretty close to a major underground gas pipeline. Makes it pretty nice, because they can't build a house over it, so there are some nice empty lots in the subdivision for the kids to play on.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Post by Chris »

Well, in the end, don't bother making the trip to Times Beach. It's just a park. A flat parcel of land with a few roads and bike trails. The only abandonments left are parts the entrance and exit ramps, nothing special.