Interesting little historical website

Urban exploration in Missouri
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Interesting little historical website

Post by slow_walker »

Found a website that has information about lost, forgotten, or just really small towns in Stone County. There's some pretty interesting facts in there. Not an extensive amount of information, just a few sentences for each little town that's kinda fun to learn.

Check out the listing for Marmaros - I had never heard of it before but I go there all the time. In fact, I am going there tomorrow.

http://thelibrary.springfield.missouri.org/lochist/moser/stonepl.html
Gravefindr
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Interesting little historical website

Post by Gravefindr »

That is a pretty interesting site, thanks for sharing. Just wish I lived in that part of the state so I could do some weekend exploring. :)
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

RE: Interesting little historical website

Post by Willard »

That's actually only part of a whole book that Mr. Moser did. Here is the link to navigate the whole book of all counties of Missouri: Moser's Directory to Places in Missouri
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Re: Interesting little historical website

Post by BROUSER »

It is absolutely amazing to me how quickly a town or a building, even foundations, can disappear. Of course, a lot of old foundations were cut limestone, and those blocks would be recycled. But I know several old farm locations and can remember when it was apparent there had been a building there. Now not a trace remains, and that's only over the course of 30 years.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »

Thanks Willard, I am so happy you are such a geek. (I mean that in the best possible way :) )
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

BROUSER wrote:It is absolutely amazing to me how quickly a town or a building, even foundations, can disappear. Of course, a lot of old foundations were cut limestone, and those blocks would be recycled. But I know several old farm locations and can remember when it was apparent there had been a building there. Now not a trace remains, and that's only over the course of 30 years.
I know what you mean. :cry: Of course my obersvation only covers about 20 years.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude