Went on a float trip on the Meramec last Saturday.

Urban exploration in Missouri
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Went on a float trip on the Meramec last Saturday.

Post by Chris »

We found two springs along the way, one of which lead into a large cave opening. I didn't have a flashlight and thus couldn't explore it, but I do intend to return. The second one just bubbled out of a hole in the ground no bigger than a basketball. Both produced crystal clear water and it was ice cold. Despite day's comfortable warmth, I had to thaw my feet in warmer water after I walked back.

Also, we found a quite large abandoned lodge type building.

I'd like to return to explore both the cave and the lodge.
Hiccup
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: Went on a float trip on the Meramec last Saturday.

Post by Hiccup »

The Illuminator didn't have a flashlight?
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

I was there earlier this summer. The cave (if it's the huge ass one I'm thinking of) goes back pretty far, but the cold-ass water gets deeper the farther back you go. It's a nut-numbing good time! If I think about it, I'll post some pics.
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

RE: Went on a float trip on the Meramec last Saturday.

Post by Chris »

I'd like to see those pics.

And no, I didn't have a flashlight. I honestly did bring one down there on the chance that I may stumble onto a cave, but then I thought 'yeah right, what are the chances of that' and left it in my truck. :::bangs head up against wall:::
flyfisherman_46
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Went on a float trip on the Meramec last Saturday.

Post by flyfisherman_46 »

I used to flot Meramec alot years ago usually from Leesburg (Onondoga Cave park) Down towards Bourbon, there is A huge cave that has the Indiana bats in it. Back in the 70's they talked about daming the river but because of those bats bing endangered they couldn't do it. I remeber that cave went way back but there was a lot of bat guano in there so we didn't explor it fully.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Re: RE: Went on a float trip on the Meramec last Saturday.

Post by Willard »

flyfisherman_46 wrote:I remeber that cave went way back but there was a lot of bat guano in there so we didn't explor it fully.
Dude! You should have started a makeup company! If you said it was from rare chemicals (not fully a lie) women would practically storm you house to buy some!
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Surprises me that with that kind of population they don't have it gated. I'm all about exploring caves, but I cherish bats, so I hate to see them disturbed.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

Apparently wifey took the pics to her work for... well, I don't really know why. Anyway, it will probably be a bit before I can post a few. They may or may not be that interesting though... we had a couple of small, dying lights and a lot of the photos are just darkness. But I will post them at some point. Maybe. If the spirit so moves me.
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!