WTF?

Urban exploration in Missouri
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

WTF?

Post by slow_walker »

I decided to take a little detour the other day during my normal travels and check out something I had always seen from the highway but never stopped at. If you travel on Hwy 60 between Aurora and Monett, just a few miles west of Aurora the highway goes over a bridge with a creek and paved road running under it. To get to the paved road under the creek you have to turn off of the highway as if you were going to go towards Verona. It's the same road you travel on to get to the big corn maze down there.

There's some sort of little park dedicated there at the edge of the creek. I had seen the flags from the highway for quite a while now, just had never bothered to see why they were there. I can't remember the name of the park and the picture I took of the sign is not with me at the moment, but it consisted of 2 picnic tables and a small swingset. Not much to look at, took a few pictures of the creek. But I did notice a very peculiar sign on one of the trees at the edge of the road. This was about 2 trees over from the sign announcing the name of the park. It cracked me up.

After I left the park, I drove a few miles further down the road under the bridge and when I came to a spot where I felt like turning around and going back, I noticed this building out behind a house. It looks like maybe it is currently being used as a barn-type structure. But I was wondering if you guys think that's what it was originally built for, or is it like an orchard workshop, or an old boys school, or what?
Attachments
verona building-650.jpg
elephants-650.jpg
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

RE: WTF?

Post by Willard »

Old US 60 used to go through Verona. Been to that town... not much to see most of the commercial buildings have fallen down.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Re: WTF?

Post by BROUSER »

That is pretty interesting. I know where you are talking about, I've never taken that detour, though. That building almost does look like possibly a school of some sort, and not just standard industrial building.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

I'd say most likely a large barn that was originally built for a large farming operation, though I can't say for sure until I have a look inside.

junkman306
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by junkman306 »

Me and my cousin ride 4 wheelers down there all the time. The little park is a nice place to stop for a bit. They have a big memorial sign there that talks about the area in the 1800's. Some of the signs on the tree's are funny.
memory_machine
Resident Douchebag
Resident Douchebag

Post by memory_machine »

That buildings looks to me like an old WWII style army barracks. God knows I've seen enough of them.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Re: RE: WTF?

Post by BROUSER »

Willard wrote:I'd say most likely a large barn that was originally built for a large farming operation, though I can't say for sure until I have a look inside.
That's a lot of windows for a barn.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
junkman306
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by junkman306 »

Give me a day or two and I'll find out. I think I know the old man that owns the land.
junkman306
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by junkman306 »

Is that building east across the creek?
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

BROUSER wrote:
Willard wrote:I'd say most likely a large barn that was originally built for a large farming operation, though I can't say for sure until I have a look inside.
That's a lot of windows for a barn.
I don't know about a barn, but it does look more factory-ish than a school to me. Are their many old schools around with metal roofing like that? I think it looks like some type of processing plant. But it does have alot of windows.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

The metal roof could be a later addition.
― Ken Ham
junkman306
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by junkman306 »

It might have been an old slaughter house.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

The metal roof is a later addition, most likely the farmer didn't feel like repairing the wood shingles and just used tin. Very common for farmers to do. As far as it being a barn, it most likely was a dairy barn. Not a lot of old dairy operations left in this area. Dairy barn's had lots of windows and some of them did have a full sized second story for other operations such as bottleing. Remember, this area used to have a lot of independent operations at one time.

BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I can buy the dairy barn theory.
― Ken Ham
slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »

junkman306 wrote:Is that building east across the creek?
It is on the east side of the road, but I don't remember seeing the creek between me and the building. I think the creek had turned east and disappeared before I got to this spot.

But, it's on the east side of the road about 1/2 mile to 1 mile south of crossing under the bridge. I'm sorry the distance isn't more exact. I am awesome with direction, but cannot measure distance worth a crap.