Urban exploration in Missouri
ann_marie
Explore Whore
Explore Whore

RE: Sinkhole swallows field in Barry county

Post by ann_marie »

sink holes = aliens

:P
One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
tyler
Precocious Little Scamp
Precocious Little Scamp

Post by tyler »

I had a house on 8 acres in Nixa, MO about five years ago. In the back of the right side property opposite our house...we had a large sinkhole. It wasn't really dangerous though, as I'd driven a rider lawnmower of it countless times. But that thing sure would flood as that end of the property sat right on a cave. After a heavy week of rain, when the water drained from the area....there was a big pile of dead bluegill fish and stuff. It was weird.
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Weird. Maybe it was a fish-fall. Have you ever read Charles Fort? He's all about fish turning up in wacky places like that.

Also:
though part of the main road into Wanoka Lodge collapsed becasue of a sinkhole opening up underneith it.
This is news to me! I haven't been there in over a year, though. What part is this? I really hope you're not talking about the old rock bridge you cross on your way in, because I really liked that part. :cry:
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

The part that collapsed is either before or after the rock bridge from what I've been told by some friends that were down there a few months back
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Another news story on the sinkhole today:

http://www.ky3.com/newsdetailed.asp?id=7891
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

Brad Farris has a radio show about home loans on Tuesdays and he was on there talking about this sink hole and others a lot today :)

We just lost a lot to a sink hole :( they dug 27 foot down and its still soft. unbuildable
Kit wrote:I am old
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Post by slow_walker »

Just wanted to reopen this topic because tomorrow I will be posting updated pics of this massive hole. One of my two homes is in that area and I drove by on Monday and checked it out since I hadn't been there in about 5 months. I'm not gonna give away any info until I have a chance to load the pics, but I think you will be interested in what I have.
slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »

Okay, I am back in Springfield at the pc with my camera software on it.
Here are pictures of the sinkhole taken on Monday, March 06, 2006. The big pile of dirt still blocks the road because of the danger that the road might cave. But as far as all the police tape is concerned, it is all gone now. Someone even cut down the barbed wire fence that seperated the road from the field. I walked right into the field and around one edge of the hole to take these pictures. It's hard to tell from these, but the hole is huge! I wish there was something in the bottom so you could do a size comparison. As far as deep, I bet it is at least 30 feet deep and that's just down to the water which is still in the bottom of it.
The first pic is standing on the road, so you can see how you can walk right up to it now. The last pic is me standing on the edge and taking a pic of my shadow so that you could see how far away from me my shadow is before it finds ground. I don't know if that will give you perspective or not.
Attachments
Pictures 048.jpg
Pictures 048.jpg (97.96 KiB) Viewed 6981 times
Pictures 047.jpg
Pictures 047.jpg (99.23 KiB) Viewed 6981 times
Pictures 049.jpg
Pictures 049.jpg (95.89 KiB) Viewed 6981 times
Pictures 050.jpg
Pictures 050.jpg (83.05 KiB) Viewed 6981 times
Pictures 051.jpg
Pictures 051.jpg (97.46 KiB) Viewed 6981 times
Pictures 052.jpg
Pictures 052.jpg (98.84 KiB) Viewed 6983 times
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Damn! That's awsome!

BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Re: Sinkhole swallows field in Barry county

Post by BROUSER »

Very nice pics! I was wandering through Wilson's Creek, up on bloody ridge where the tornado damage is, and I came across a very small, conical depression. It was too geometrical to be where a tree was uprooted. I wondered if it might not be the beginning of a sinkhole. It couldn't have been manmade, either, because it looked relatively recent, and it was way back in the area where a lot of trees were downed.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Post by GlassCurtain »

WOW that's amazing to see how much it's changed in over a year. Great follow up. Thanks for the pics.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Wow. It doesn't look like it's grown much, if at all, but it's definitely dried up. That thing was completely full of water when I was out there.

You know, about the depth, that's weird. I remember reading when this first happened they measured it at 150 feet deep at the deepest point. In fact, those two KOLR10 articles I posted in here say that, too. But, it sure doesn't look like that's possible from looking at these pictures.

I just Googled to try and find out, but all I found was a DNR article about how the sinkhole is of uncertain depth but known to be in excess of 50 feet. I also found a News-Leader article that says geologists accept the estimate of 150 feet deep.

Did it look like it could possibly go that deep where the water was?
slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »

no it really didn't to me. But there are so many different levels in the damn thing it is a little deceiving. It would be neat to toss down a weighted rope and check it out. I wonder why they weren't able to officially measure it?
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Re: RE: Sinkhole swallows field in Barry county

Post by Willard »

slow_walker wrote:I wonder why they weren't able to officially measure it?
At the time they might have been worried about the sinkhole getting bigger and they might be to busy right now to get an accurate mesurement... it will most likely be put on a back burner and forgotten about.