Rolla, MO??

Urban exploration in Missouri
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Re: Rolla, MO??

Post by Kit »

Awesome pictures thanks so much for sharing!!
Kit wrote:I am old
MONKEYMANN
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by MONKEYMANN »

Cool Pics....Me and a Group of friends toured that cave years ago. Thats the one in Merimac St. Park that you have to check the key out from the park ranger and have your gear checked out before they will let you into the cave. Huge Huge cave, with a couple of different passages! Definatly recommend this cave!!
I DIDN'T SAY THAT YOU SAID THAT I SAID THAT......
CaveGirl
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by CaveGirl »

crazydrummerdude wrote:Thanks for the pics.

It's sad how many formations are dirtied up and broken off..
I didn't do that, FTR. It pisses me off when people don't respect caves.
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

we didnt think you did :)
Kit wrote:I am old
CaveGirl
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by CaveGirl »

Kit wrote:we didnt think you did :)
I hoped not, but thought I'd better clarify :D .

We (me, my husband, and some people from MVG) were in Mushroom Cave on a clean-up trip. Some idiots decided to build a wall out of the breakdown and it ended up being a liability to the park. That was fun. It only took maybe half an hour to dismantle the wall, then we had the rest of the day to do whatever.
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

It looks like they're tearing down that building across 63 from Subway (next to Taco Bell). It's already gutted.
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

crazydrummerdude wrote:It looks like they're tearing down that building across 63 from Subway (next to Taco Bell). It's already gutted.
..wtf is going on? That's a weird way to take down a building.

I'm thinking of going in a house a block from the Civil building around noon tomorrow. Any takers?
KDubs
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by KDubs »

Not sure how many of you UMR/MSM alumns are signed up for the newsletter...

"The Miner Alumni Association has purchased two properties on Pine Street in Rolla for the site of the future Hasselmann Alumni House. Currently located on that property is the old Uptown Theater (1100 Pine St.) and the law offices of Smith and Turley (1102 Pine St.). The association will take full possession on February 14..."
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Taking out the uptown? It's nothing special, but what the hell's wrong with cities? "Let's tear out everything!"
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

WTF??? Why must MST tear down, what I believe is, the only old theater left in Rolla? Last I knew the building was solid... WTF???
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
KDubs
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by KDubs »

I don't know when the Uptown closed, but it was still showing movies when I was there (early '80s). Went there many times. I always thought it would be cool to get to sit in the balcony, but they always had it closed off. I don't know if it was unsafe or if they just didn't want a bunch of rowdy students chucking stuff over the railing.
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

crazydrummerdude wrote:I'm thinking of going in a house a block from the Civil building around noon tomorrow. Any takers?
Holy shit. Good thing I went. That building's gone as of this morning. Wonder what they're going to put in its place.. another mud/gravel lot? Woo hoo!

I was keeping an eye on it. There was a chainsaw identical to one I already have in the front porch I was going to grab if they were tearing the place down. Too late.
Willard wrote:WTF??? Why must MST tear down, what I believe is, the only old theater left in Rolla? Last I knew the building was solid... WTF???
As of last semester, they still had occasional events there. I've never been in, as an explorer or patron. I'll keep an eye on it.
thriftstorebarbie
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by thriftstorebarbie »

The building IS solid. Besides the fact that an existing structure is always more sustainable than building new, the building could easily serve the purpose they are planning.

An online petition has been started to reuse the building rather than destroy it. It takes less than a minute to fill out, please sign & pass it on!

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/uptown41/petition.html
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Re: RE: Rolla, MO??

PANIC! on the Titanic wrote:
crazydrummerdude wrote:
cobcob wrote:Mineral Museum
You will see mineral displays from the 1904 World's Fair and donated minerals from alumni and friends. Open year round Monday - Friday 8am - 5pm, admission is free Call 573-341-4616 for more information.
125 McNutt Hall, Rolla, MO
To me, it sounds like information was mixed up. That sounds like the mineral display in the basement of McNutt.
Well, there is a mineral museum in McNutt and they have minerals from the World's Fair there too, but a large bulk of samples are still in that cave. They were supposed to do something with them, but never did. The really good and attractive samples are on display in the basement though. We had to study them a couple times for my mineralogy lab.
You were right all along.

30-some years ago, they took a bunch of drawers full of rocks/minerals out of Norwood, when they were building McNutt, and stored them in McCormick cave. Supposedly, recently, the forest service (who owns the land) has threatened to sue the university (who leases the land) for not taking the stuff back out. It's still there.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

crazydrummerdude wrote:It looks like they're tearing down that building across 63 from Subway (next to Taco Bell). It's already gutted.
I have been told that the guy who owns Gordoz in town bought that place, and it might be a steakhouse when they are all finished with it.

This is all I know.