Old Elsberry mining caves

Urban exploration in Missouri
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

Re: Old Elsberry mining caves

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

PANIC! on the Titanic wrote:I did not see any cops when I went on the 12th.
how many?
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

RE: Old Elsberry mining caves

None.
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

How extensive is that room and pillar quarry? That looks awesome!
White Rabbit wrote:Welcome back. Find some cool stuff and tell us about it :P
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

It goes in about 100 yards and it's about 200 yards wide (approximately) with a huge flooded quarry out back.
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

Pfft.. way to make is sound boring.

It's pretty damn big!
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

Yeah, it is pretty big, it goes back about a hundred yards or so like Lunar said, but I think it is quite a bit wider then 200 yards. There is also another set of them down the road, more shrouded in trees and not as well known by the local kids, I haven't been in them yet. You can see them better in winter. And also when a train comes from the south, it has to slow down to enter Elsberry, which makes it a great place to hop a train into town and get a soda at the gas station or something.
But yeah, I think the mines are worth checking out once or twice at least.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

Bumping this topic because I just dug up a bunch of info answering a long asked question: how old is this mine?

I dug up 2 great sources, the first of which is here and on page 115 gives a great geologic description of the mine but doesn't say when operations were set up. The publishing of this book was in 1904.

Then I found the source here http://home.comcast.net/~neal4/moelsbe3.htm that on page 44 tells us that the Crystal Carbonate Lime Co. leased the land in 1901 to begin the underground quarry. It then was in operation until at least 1955, but how long after that I don't know.

I had no idea that place was that old, I figured 40 maybe 50 years but not 109 years old!

Anyway, thats a small summary of my finds. If you want to learn more about them or the history of Elsberry for those who live close, check out those sites, especially the second one.
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Excellent!
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

great work! thanks for sharing!
Kit wrote:I am old
Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

Post by Mandi Milenko »

crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Pretty cheesy link.. why do they call it a cave? It's a mine. Was there a cave there once?
Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

Post by Mandi Milenko »

idk I just thought it was interesting because of the devil worshiping stuff that has happened there.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

I'd heard of devil worship, rape, suicides, etc. Any creepy thing you can think of was rumor with the local high schoolers who know about the caves, though the veracity of these claims is questionable.
A Couple friends from my high school got busted in there and fined for trespassing, so it just seems like a shitty place to be doing noisy activities and lighting fires (though there are campfire remnants scattered about, and many beer cans).

Not saying these things didn't happen, just that there are better places for sacrificing small mammals in the name of Satan.

Also, that is the first I have ever heard it called "Devil's Cave." We always just called them "those caves by elsberry."

Also Drummer, the mines wouldn't have been a natural cave first, since that would mean the limestone was subject to weathering and solution and would have been shitty rock. It's just a room and pillar mine because the mine designers thought it was the better method over open quarrying or something.
Cathy
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Cathy »

I just found this place! Absolutely beautiful! And I cannot find any info on the internet about it. When I took pictures my phone gps pinpointed at "hurricane". Do you guys have any new info? Do you know what kind of mining was done there?

Hurricane
Richwoods, MO
United States
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

Hey Cathy,

So, it looks like the links I posted above 6 years ago (!) are now obsolete. From hardcover sources not yet available online, I can tell you the mine was operated by the Crystal Carbonate Lime Co. who leased the land in 1901. By 1904 mining was underway and described in MGS Vol 2 by Buckley and Buehler (1904). Mining was apparently still active by 1955 but ended shortly thereafter, by then it was operated by Columbia quarries. They mined lime (calcium carbonate) and crushed rock (think driveway gravel).

Your GPS is wonky... Hurricane is the name of the township of Lincoln county that includes Elsberry, New Hope, and this mine. As for Richwoods...??? No idea. There's a Richwoods MO down by Hillsboro but that's about it.