The Goose Slayer

Re: Bull Creek Structures

Post by jammer_smith »

Finally posting some pics from that trip

The drive down Tabor Hollow Road:

Barn in Tabor Hollow (36.830639, -93.166468):

Inside the Barn:

Another old barn located at 36.838762, -93.181929:

Creek beside Enterprise School (flows into Bull Creek right next to school house):

Enterprise School closed in 1908, built in 1850, currently seems to be used as a camping cabin for hikers, floaters, or horseback riders:

Red Bridge, the namesake of Red Bridge Road, which you go down on your way to Tabor Hollow Road. It doesn't look that red to me, maybe it used to painted red and it's just worn off?:

"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Bull Creek Structures

Post by RedRook »

Nice.
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

"Glendale on Bull Creek was the first public school in the area to be included in Christian County. It was started in 1847, followed in 1850 by Enterprise a few miles up stream."

Seems that, according to this entry in a historical brief, that there was another school nearby, also on the creek. "A few miles" is a very vague distance, but maybe worth looking into.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

I always assumed that it was called red bridge from the rusty ironwork. That school looks pretty rad, I'll have to go check that out. Water on Bull creek is up, might be a good time to do a recon via canoe this weekend.

Edit: Here's a list of old cemeteries on Bull Creek, it mentions that the Glendale school was south of the Mapes cemetery but north of Red Bridge, so I guess that narrows it down a bit.
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

I actually found some coords for Glendale Scool, there is nothing there now, at least not visible by Googlemaps, there might be a foundation or a historic marker.

And yeah, last weekend Bull Creek was crazy high, I went out with the intention of just wading the creek if I needed to get across....nope.
H311RA151N
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Bull Creek Structures

Post by H311RA151N »

Awesome, you posted pics! I thought it was neat to see this posted because it's really close to my relatives home. I've never been up to see it but I knew it was there.
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

So it turns out the coordinates for Glendale were already in my GPS. I went out to the Mapes cemetery today and tried to visit Glendale, but the school isn't there anymore. There's a house there instead. It was a fun trip regardless.
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Post by slow_walker »

just wanted to say great pics