Busted in Morrilton.

Urban exploration in Arkansas
Ford Prefect
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Busted in Morrilton.

Post by Ford Prefect »

So there I am, and about six other people walking down the street. We are up from Little Rock to explore the old T.B. Sanotorium. I have been jittery all night because I really wanted to go in, plus some friends who were up the night before gave us word the basement was no longer flooded. Anyway, so we are walking down the street when a cop pulls up behind us. He gets out of the car and approches us and says, "If you boys are headin' up the street to the old hospital you have better have $250 for the city of Morrilton." "That place is getting pretty popular with the kids and the owned has asked us to stricktly enfforce trespassing laws." So we tell him that is were we are heading, I mean it is obvious enough: flashlights and spotlights in hand, all dark colors, boots, and oh yeah... 2:00a.m., we were not trespassing yet, and he knew it so he was going to let us go. Anyway it did suck, it was a big dissapointment, but it could have been alot worse. So, anyone on here interested in going? I'm goign to drive back up there during the day and see if I can find a more indirect route through some woods or something. The building does not have much time, it is due for rennovation soon, and I feel it would be a shame not to see before then.
Ryan B.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Wow, man, that sucks. Jason Keetz told me they keep a pretty close eye on that place. I hadn't heard about the renovations, though. Someone definitely needs to get some pictures of the place before they rip the guts out, then.

Anybody know if it's city-owned or private property?
Ford Prefect
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Ford Prefect »

It is owned by a man that lives next door. I was warned the he watches for lights in the windows and that he is a bitch when it comes to pressing charges, but a good plan and red filters should do the trick.
Ryan B.
Link
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Link »

Ive never been in a sanitarium... it would be a shame for there to be no pics of it before it gets fixed. Incidentally, I have been stopped by a cop that way before... actually security at a central arkansas university on the way into a construction site. It's a drag when you get stopped, but you got to be thankful that they didnt wait to bust you.
Roads go ever on
James the Red
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by James the Red »

you all ever think of just talking to the guy,t ell him you want to take historical pics, maybe slip him a couple bucks for his time, or better yet, just tell him your writing an artcicle for your paper, college paper, etc, and you would gladly mention what a great/helpfull/ whatever works for him kind of guy? Make it sound like it has historical value, amybe he is a buff.
Then sneak in if none of that works. You might just get a grande tour instead. Maybe not as thrilling, but a lot easier on your pocketbook if you get caught.
just another fly on the wall of life

Crystaline
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Crystaline »

asking for permission... that kinda kills a whole part of what UE stands for...
James the Red
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by James the Red »

maybe Im a little old fashioned, or just old, but exploring no matter where I was seemed a lot more fun when you could go anywhere you wanted without getting shot at, arested, or whatnot. However, if thats your thing, I sure wont critisize you for it. Good luck on your adventure!

White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Crystaline wrote:asking for permission... that kinda kills a whole part of what UE stands for...
Mmmm... maybe. I think UE's about getting to see the stuff you're not supposed to see, so it wouldn't be the same if you could just get permission to all these places. But there will always be plenty of places that you could never get permission to enter. So, if you can save yourself a lot of headache by just asking the owner sometimes, I say more power to you. It does take away some of the fun, though :D
Crystaline
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Crystaline »

OK... good point there. But it still feels shakey with me, but then again, i just started UE. and for the record, I wasnt criticizing anyone.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Crystaline wrote:OK... good point there. But it still feels shakey with me, but then again, i just started UE. and for the record, I wasnt criticizing anyone.
Oh, I know, dude. Don't worry. Just talking. :D
Lloyd Buckley
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Busted in Morrilton.

Post by Lloyd Buckley »

I grew up in nearby Russellville but actually went to school in Plumerville, which is right next to Morrilton, in the 7th grade.

When I was a junior in high school we went there and were able to pretty much do what we wanted to do. Of course, it was the middle of the afternoon too. I remember that the bottom floor was laden with grafitti and other urban artifacts, the second floor had some, but not as much as the first. We were too scared to go onto the third floor, though. Now that I am older and um, braver, I would love to go back and make that trip one more level upward.

I think someone had the right idea about going at night, walking there instead of driving, and using your reds while inside. Or if you can't do that, perhaps go at like, 3am in the morning. You can't tell me this geezer is up at that hour. Who knows. Isn't there some "Golden Girls" marathon he could be watching?
James the Red
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by James the Red »

you might be blown away by how little or how old geezers sleep. they are borderline vampires in some cases.

White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: Busted in Morrilton.

Post by White Rabbit »

Lloyd Buckley wrote:When I was a junior in high school we went there and were able to pretty much do what we wanted to do. Of course, it was the middle of the afternoon too. I remember that the bottom floor was laden with grafitti and other urban artifacts, the second floor had some, but not as much as the first. We were too scared to go onto the third floor, though. Now that I am older and um, braver, I would love to go back and make that trip one more level upward.
That's freaking awesome. I think, although I could be wrong, that you're the only person here that's actually been inside the place then. It's been on my list of places to see for a while now, though. If you do go back, we'd all love to see the pictures.
Lloyd Buckley
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Lloyd Buckley »

It's been a long time since I have went though. This was like...92, I think. I would LOVE to go back. Back then, I just went to go. We had illegally obtained some booze and just wanted a place to go act stupid and scare ourselves. I look back and realize what an opportunity I had squandered.

I hear that it will soon be either torn down or something like that. Anyone hear this? I guess like everything else, time ticks away. Lord knows we have to put up another strip mall.
David Keetz
Mercurial Disciple
Mercurial Disciple

Post by David Keetz »

nah dude..i've been inside..

before they renovated it anyway......

the basement had all this old fricken early nineteen hundreds machinery in it and there's this huge staircase going up the middle of the building...the air was really really really bad though.....went through the basement to the first floor...then saw the cops coming up the hill.....they police that place very very well...or did..a little under a year ago they were doing renovations...taking out the asbestos and stuff so i have no idea what it looks like now