Quitman Titan II Silo - With Pictures

Urban exploration in Arkansas
FiReDiVeR
I Need A Title!
I Need A Title!

Re: Quitman Titan II Silo - With Pictures

Post by FiReDiVeR »

If someone could get permission I would pay for 1/2 of renting a backhoe, and I would run it. Maybe the owner has something he needs dug as a favor?
Riggz13
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Riggz13 »

FiReDiVeR wrote:If someone could get permission I would pay for 1/2 of renting a backhoe, and I would run it. Maybe the owner has something he needs dug as a favor?
I don't really think a backhoe would be necessary if there were a few of us. I do know that the owner needs plans for the site. I took these last April, so it's been a while, but at the time he didn't know where anything was. All the electric and water lines were buried but he had no idea where. He's raising horses on the property and apparently just needs to know that kind of stuff. If anyone could get access to LRAFB that's where they'd keep any records like that. He's not military and can't get anywhere whenever he's tried to get the stuff in the past. If someone could get that for him he might be grateful enough to let us poke around. I'll try and find the site number again in case anyone can get that kind of access.
godfather
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by godfather »

Give me all the details on the site, and I'll hand them over to my AF buddies (have allot of them stationed at LRAFB). We will just ahve to wait and see whazt they can dig up from there.
Riggz13
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: Quitman Titan II Silo - With Pictures

Post by Riggz13 »

Godfather, I'm sending you a PM right now with all the info I have on the site.

Everyone else, I put the wrong picture up from GE. That's the Guy site, the one following is the correct one that all my pictures came from. Both the Guy and Quitman bases are off Hwy 25 for anyone interested. PM me if you want GPS coordinates.

*Edit* Here's the link to GE if anyone wants it
Attachments
silo10.jpg
junkman306
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by junkman306 »

I've always wanted to see inside one. I think it would be cool to live in an old missle silo.
What's the point of making a point if the point you are trying to make is pointless? Do you get my point?
godfather
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by godfather »

I sent them off...now we play the waiting game.
junkman306
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by junkman306 »

I hope this works.
What's the point of making a point if the point you are trying to make is pointless? Do you get my point?
David Keetz
Mercurial Disciple
Mercurial Disciple

Post by David Keetz »

wow...i haven't checked this forum in a minute...

But a titan site is my freakin' mekka as far as UE is concerned. I will die a very very happy and successful man if I can get into one of those.
I think something clever is supposed to go right here.
godfather
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by godfather »

The first response I got was to check with the Military Museum in Jacksonville. Supposedly they have an extensive amount of information collected there. Not sure how much they know about the sites though. I'm trying to get him to send me a phone number for the place.

It may take a day or two for the rest of them to get back with me as most of them are working right now.
McSwice
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by McSwice »

This is frickin' amazing. I would love to check that out, but i realize i've been on and off these forums for almost 2 years, and I've yet to explore with anyone from the boards. bummer.
McSwice
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by McSwice »

doublepost =(
Last edited by McSwice on Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spinner
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Spinner »

You can say that again.
FiReDiVeR
I Need A Title!
I Need A Title!

Post by FiReDiVeR »

godfather wrote:The first response I got was to check with the Military Museum in Jacksonville. Supposedly they have an extensive amount of information collected there. Not sure how much they know about the sites though. I'm trying to get him to send me a phone number for the place.

It may take a day or two for the rest of them to get back with me as most of them are working right now.
Just keep us posted, if you need anymore help i have some friends in the army, marines, and the national guard. I won't promise any info. but i would try to help if you don't come up with anything. "The Reaper" on here might also be of some help he is also on active duty.
godfather
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by godfather »

I am being told that the missile wing closed down in 1987 so I'm not sure if LRAFB will have what we are looking for. I'm still waiting on that phone number.
Riggz13
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Riggz13 »

godfather wrote:The first response I got was to check with the Military Museum in Jacksonville. Supposedly they have an extensive amount of information collected there. Not sure how much they know about the sites though. I'm trying to get him to send me a phone number for the place.
That's funny, that's the exact same place I told the owner to check. I've been to the museum(living in J'ville in the summer and all...) and it does have a nice exhibit for the Titan II program. I haven't been in over a year and they've done quite alot of expansion and may have more now for anyone who wants to go look. Anyways, when I went last one of the guys working there had been stationed at the Damascus silo I believe. I talked to him for a while trying to pump him for information, specifically if there's actually anything explorable provided one should start digging. He was rather dense(I'm being nice here), and didn't seem to understand what I was getting at. The whole point of this ramble is that he probably still works there, so hopefully you'll get to talk to him.

I knew the missile wing closed down, but I assumed there were some kind of records kept in archives at the base. I don't know what I'm talking about in that area though. Also, Godfather, I'm sending you a PM with the number to the museum. I'd volunteer to call, but I'm not very articulate on the phone.