Your Lasting Legacy, WR

Urban exploration in Arkansas
TooMuchCoffee
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Your Lasting Legacy, WR

Post by TooMuchCoffee »

So the wife and I returned to the scene of the crime this past weekend. We married in that cute little town of Eureka Springs 12 years ago and I thought for our anniversery we'd go back.
So we're walking around and I'd have to admit things are a bit different. Mostly, I noticed there are these neat history markers everywhere. And being a history dork, I read everyone I encountered. The stairs next to the funnel cake stand lead up to the old "Stone Saloon". Pretty neat.

There's one on the side of the building that houses the Mud Street Cafe (where we were going to eat and I highly recommend). It talked about the "Eureka Underground" and about how the townsfolk basically capped over the original street and creek and all the buildings first floors became the basements and you could access the tunnel from them.

The Mud Street Cafe is in the "basement" of the building. After dinner, I asked our waitress about peeking into the underground. She pointed out where the original doors and windows were sealed and said that the "Union Station" building still had the original doorway to the underground and you could get into the tunnel there.

Here's the fun part. She said "you don't want to go in there (the underground). It's very dangerous, plus it's illegal. A couple of years ago, some explorers or exploring group got caught messing around in there. I think they had a website or something. Anyway, they got caught messing around in there and they ( :?: ) have been watching it ever since".

There ya go. WR, you linger in the memories of the locals.
"Anyone else smell that?"
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: Your Lasting Legacy, WR

Post by White Rabbit »

Heh, that's awesome :)

That Union Station building they were talking about, are they talking about the one just up the street from City Hall or whatever, next to the bank?
TooMuchCoffee
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: Your Lasting Legacy, WR

Post by TooMuchCoffee »

Actually, it's down the street from there. It's past the really weird intersection (I think you're really going north). The Mud Street Cafe is right in that intersection, to your right is the Audiatorium, City Hall, and Bank. To your left is the Union Station, some more bars and whatnot.
"Anyone else smell that?"
David Keetz
Mercurial Disciple
Mercurial Disciple

Re: Your Lasting Legacy, WR

Post by David Keetz »

it used to have a door...they've sealed them up..
the train station used to have a way under the street it's gone too.

..haha...I can't believe how quickly that story circulated around that town.
I think something clever is supposed to go right here.
SlyFoxx
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Your Lasting Legacy, WR

Post by SlyFoxx »

Well that's too bad! Bummer some law breakers & law ppl had to ruin fun for everyone.