experienced photographer / UE in Little Rock

Urban exploration in Arkansas
xcathodex
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

experienced photographer / UE in Little Rock

Post by xcathodex »

I've moved recently to Little Rock from New Haven, CT and would like to find interesting, abandoned places to explore, preferably with a group of other explorers!

i was hooked on urban exploring the first time i saw Fairfield Hills and Norwich State, long abandoned Kirkbride-Era mental institutions in Connecticut. Unfortunately, we moved before I could explore any of the other similar places in the region, and before i was able to spend time photograhing either location.

I am a 27 year old, responsible, drug free male. i have an excellent Pentax DSLR and related equipment, and a good headlamp. and would be interested in compiling a gallery of abandoned places in Arkansas with some other local explorers.

so far all i've been able to explore in Central AR is the storm drain system that outlets into the Arkansas River directly below river market... and the only photo i got from that trip was this one; very disappointing.

If anyone is going exploring, i'd love to be included. if anyone knows of a place i SHOULD be checking out, or a place worth photographying, i'd love to know about it. please contact me at jbartlett79@gmail.com !

-jeff

samples of recent photos:
sunrise near DFW airport
koi in my backyard pond
mammoth hot springs @ yellowstone natl park
downtown little rock (near infrared photo)
flower in my backyard
outside an abandoned home in central AR
birds nesting in cave mouth (during recent CT trip)
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Re: experienced photographer / UE in Little Rock

Post by slow_walker »

Welcome to the boards! I live nowhere near Little Rock, so I am not able to meet with you. But, there are a few members here from down that direction, so hopefully you will get a chance to meet some people.
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Post by GlassCurtain »

Welcome to the forums chief. From what I've seen so far, I really like your photography. Do you do any night photography?

I also see you play bass and do vocals in a band. That's pretty cool. Is your band in LR?
“I investigate things to complete my knowledge, my complete knowledge makes my thoughts sincere, my thoughts being sincere; my heart is pure.”

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glasscurtain/
xcathodex
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by xcathodex »

GlassCurtain wrote:Welcome to the forums chief. From what I've seen so far, I really like your photography. Do you do any night photography?

I also see you play bass and do vocals in a band. That's pretty cool. Is your band in LR?
i am actually just get into some night photography - i'd intended to check out the old rail bridges in downtown LR tonight, but my car broke down on 630 on the way there!

actually, my band was in CT, but i'm moving back there this fall.
weedbucket
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by weedbucket »

xcathodex wrote:so far all i've been able to explore in Central AR is the storm drain system that outlets into the Arkansas River directly below river market... and the only photo i got from that trip was this one; very disappointing.
how far back does the drain go? i've been hoping to find some drains in little rock worth exploring, but you're the first person i've ever heard mention any in the area.
xcathodex
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: experienced photographer / UE in Little Rock

Post by xcathodex »

there's a couple of threads on here about it - it goes roughly a mile before a T where it splits off in either direction. supposedly this is under 630. i haven't followed either branch very far, but it doesn't look to be particularly complicated beyond there anyway. another UO member posted how they followed one for a while until the ceiling started to get shorter, and stopped there.

i'd very much like to check out the drain on the NLR side, however, which more than one person suggested is a roost for a large number of bats.
weedbucket
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: experienced photographer / UE in Little Rock

Post by weedbucket »

xcathodex wrote:there's a couple of threads on here about it - it goes roughly a mile before a T where it splits off in either direction. supposedly this is under 630. i haven't followed either branch very far, but it doesn't look to be particularly complicated beyond there anyway. another UO member posted how they followed one for a while until the ceiling started to get shorter, and stopped there.

i'd very much like to check out the drain on the NLR side, however, which more than one person suggested is a roost for a large number of bats.
well, i just talked to a spelunker buddy of mine and we're going to give it a try in a few days. if anyone wants to come along let me know. this will be my first official urban exploration outing, therefore i'll probably take way too many (most likely bad) pictures.
xcathodex
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: experienced photographer / UE in Little Rock

Post by xcathodex »

which drain, the LR side or the NLR side? i dunno if drains count as caving, but they're fun either way.

as for your photos, if you just click away with the flash on you'll get crap. if your camera will let you take long exposures with a tripod, then your flashlights, headlamps, etc should be sufficient light to get a more natural looking result.

if you're doing the NLR side i'd love to come along - shoot me a PM
weedbucket
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: experienced photographer / UE in Little Rock

Post by weedbucket »

xcathodex wrote:which drain, the LR side or the NLR side? i dunno if drains count as caving, but they're fun either way.

as for your photos, if you just click away with the flash on you'll get crap. if your camera will let you take long exposures with a tripod, then your flashlights, headlamps, etc should be sufficient light to get a more natural looking result.

if you're doing the NLR side i'd love to come along - shoot me a PM
just the little rock side right now. something tried and true for our first time.

that is if the water level is low enough.

by-the-way, i love those shots from your railroad bridge excursion. especially the one of the riverfront aplitheater and the one of the person looking at the submarine.