0-99 Poster

RE: A lifetime of exploring Arkansas

Post by bigcozy »

Scoutin
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: A lifetime of exploring Arkansas

Post by Scoutin »

Any more luck on that golf course area? I have a Jeep and I work in Conway and would be willing to drive out there sometime on lunch and check it out.
djfoxsr
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by djfoxsr »

I am interested to know if you can tell me where you found the signs of settlement off of Hickory Nut Mountain Rd. I live in H S and lived in Crystal Springs for about 12 years. I've heard lots of stories about the area but not this one. Would love to go see if i can find it. Is it by any chance near the spring along the road? Would make sense to settle near a spring.
bigcozy
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: A lifetime of exploring Arkansas

Post by bigcozy »

I apologize for not replying to this, been gone from this forum for a very long time. Hope the poster asking the question is still around.

You are very close. Go to the low water bridge just past the spring. Got to the far side of the bridge, on the left there will be (used to be) a parking area. Walk along the creek going upstream. It won't take long until you go from being a trail to something that looks like it was once a road. There was also a road on the opposite side of the creek, you will see stone clearly formed up for the roadbed. This was a wagon route at one time. Going along the side you are on, you will start to see very old trash dumps along the way. We used to find old bottles, cans, pot belly stoves and all kinds of junk. I heard this was some kind of work camp or something back there. If you follow that old road/trail, you will actually end up in Charleston camping area. If you follow the complete trail, you will drop down where the cave is at Charleston.

On the opposite side of the creek, before you get to the low water bridge, some guys built a small log cabin in a little hollow. The rangers caught them and tore it down. You may still see some remnants. Bear in mind I haven't been back there in 20 years. The area I am talking about where the trash dumps is very remote, I would wager they are still there if you know where to look.
tysonboros1234
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by tysonboros1234 »

Those pictures of Conway on the Centennial course are about five minutes from my house. I would love to find out about this indian site. I could be there in minutes.
gnomad1
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by gnomad1 »

Anymore stories from the past 5 years bigcozy?
ItHappenedinAR
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by ItHappenedinAR »

"5. Spent several nights in Rush, once with my father when I was six years old. We missed our pick up and spent the night in one of the old houses. We would regularly sleep overnight in the old mines. Don't know if it is still there, but there used to be a Studebaker truck inside one of the mines.

6. When I was kid, back in the mid 70s, there were lots of hippies still around. You would often find people living in caves and old houses. That is why we were armed when we did exploring, you didn't know what you would find."

I grew up in that area of Arkansas, and still go to Rush often. When I was a kid, we went back in most of the mines, but they are closed off with metal grates now. My grandparents grew up around Rush and Cedar Creek, so I've heard lots of stories about the area and am desperately trying to compile as many as I can.

The hippies were a group called the Rainbow Family. I remember very well when they lived along Buffalo River. My grandparents floated the river often, and one particular time there was a young lady bathing in the river, bear in mind this was around the same time as the song, "The Streak" was released. My grandmother, with her voice that carried like none other, saw this girl and yelled, "Don't look, Ethel!" I'm sure it was very much to the embarrassment of soft-spoken grandad!
FallApollo
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by FallApollo »

Hi there, young arkansas born journalist here, I live down the road from rush, sadly all but 1 or 2 of the mines have been closed and gated with steal bars. There's still 1 main mine open but it requires a lot of climbing up a dangerous old tailings pile. As for all the other story, it's amazing to see the perspective from someone who's been around far past my lifetime. I wish I could just sit and talk with you good sir.