Any Action In Wichita?

Urban exploration in Kansas
Planenick
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Any Action In Wichita?

Post by Planenick »

I'm just wondering if any is going to come out of the woodwork in wichita....
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

I don't know if we have any Kansans besides you yet, but hopefully we'll get some when the search engines start picking us up. As for Wichita, here's the only thing I know of:

There's was a fallout shelter big enough to accomodate over 10,000 people at the Boeing Plant back in the 60s. I don't know if the plant or the shelter still exists since I'm not familiar with Wichita, but since you live there, you'd probably know.

Also, I don't know if you want to go this far from Wichita, but in Ellinwood, there's a big system of 19th century tunnels that they give tours of.
drewtedlock
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Any Action In Wichita?

Post by drewtedlock »

I'm from Wichita!!! Pleased to meet you. Wanna share locales?
Spinner
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Spinner »

White Rabbit wrote:
There's was a fallout shelter big enough to accomodate over 10,000 people at the Boeing Plant back in the 60s. I don't know if the plant or the shelter still exists since I'm not familiar with Wichita, but since you live there, you'd probably know.
Rabbit, my parents both used to work and live in Wichita through the 60's and 70's until relocating back to here in Arkansas. I know my dad worked at Boeing for some time, I can ask him about that.

And currently, I have an aunt that still works there, she may know something as well.
justaboi1981
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by justaboi1981 »

OHHHH Wichita is a fun place. I grew up there. I knew a few spots here and there. You just have to be on the look out. Downtown was alot more fun when I was younger. Now alot of the buildings have been redone or totally demolished. You can also try surrounding areas. Wenfield has some fun places. Theres one they call the Monkey's Demon. Its and old Farm house, very blair witch. Theres also the cemetery in Winfield (Alot of old buildings, and i hear tunnels somewhere on the property?), and alot of old house. But also alot of those houses and been redone. Let me know if you have any questions. I can give you some palces to hit up. I lived down there all my life till about 4 years ago. PM ME if you need any info. Later.
chris70
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by chris70 »

I wonder if theres anything around the arena construction area. Might be worth checking out. I remember some old brick apartments in that area.
chris70
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by chris70 »

Just got done posting pics from another exploration.It was in the area where they did the disaster drill.
http://prairiepathways.com/gallery2/v/F ... g2_page=12
Talked with a nearby business owner , who was also checking out the building.He showed me the location of the old Coke factory.He also told me when he was younger he would have his friends pose(hang from rafters , etc)in abandoned buildings and take artsy pictures when he was younger.enjoy the pictures.

SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

I just asked this question in another thread, but seeing as how this is specifically wichita;

I visited Wichita in 1998-ish and my friend showed me this huge abandoned grain silo. We 'splored for a while and it was pretty cool. I was wondering if anyone knew of this place. Actually I guess more pecifically it was a grain "elevator".
Maxzillian
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Any Action In Wichita?

Post by Maxzillian »

Most of the grain elevators I know of are on the North side of Wichita, but I think they'll all active. Or at least, they're located right next to an active railway/switching yard.
What's the fun in making something simple?
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Re: Any Action In Wichita?

Post by Scout »

I live in Kansas. I seldom get out to Wichita though. We live in the sticks and tend to go to Joplin or Kansas City if we go to a large city. We even go to Tulsa and Springfield more often than Wichita.
"That old hag hates my ass."