Grain Complex south of Garnett Ks

Urban exploration in Kansas
Versatile
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Grain Complex south of Garnett Ks

Post by Versatile »

Go south of Garnett about 14 miles. Not sure though whether it is 59 hwy or 169 hwy. Huge abandoned grain complex. Been abandoned for at least 30 yrs. Can't miss it as it is the only one . Most likely built with Pendergast concrete. Buy it; build a house on top. Then sit and wait and watch for a tornado.
Pain is nothing more than fear leaving your body.

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL AND THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

RE: Grain Complex south of Garnett Ks

Post by Scout »

You're talking about the old elevator outside of Mildred, Kansas. It's right on US 59 Hwy. My Dad worked there for awhile. I remember it operating. It was just used as an elevator. The complex is an old cement company. It was the Great Western Cement company and folded in 1929. I'd guess the part they used for a grain elevator closed in the late sixties.

It's more like 20 miles south of Garnett. Turn onto US 59 Hwy where it and US 169 Hwy split about 5 miles south of Garnett. Then follow 59. Don't forget to turn south where 59 does a mile west of Kincaid. It's on the west side of the highway.
"That old hag hates my ass."
peterbillionaire
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Re: Grain Complex south of Garnett Ks

Post by peterbillionaire »

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&c ... &encType=1

has anyone actually gone over there to check it out?
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

Well yeah. I mean, I live about two miles away and my people lived around here back when it was actually working. There are two big lakes back in there. One served the cement plant and the other is a flooded quarry. There are scary ruins all over and it is very dangerous unless you know what you're doing. If you get far enough in there is a cabin that somebody now lives in. This is an old cabin and back when I was in high school a couple of my friends actually broke into it. (I ain't proud of this even though I wasn't along-I'm just relating facts.) As far as I know, they just looked around. The area is full of big copperheads, so it isn't safe to enter during warm weather. Part of the grounds have been sold off, so multiple owners have this site. I know a gal that owns some of it and they found a statue and time capsule on their property. The time capsule was already broken into. There is an airstrip over to the west, and an old hanger. My Uncle used to farm the part of this place which is farmable. There was a good spring to the north of the factory which supplied the area with water during the 30's. I drank from it when I was a boy. On this same property was a cave that the local schools used to trek to and have picnics in. It was covered with old-time graffiti when I made my trip back there many years ago.

The whole town of Mildred was linked to the Cement Plant. If you journey on west on West Virginia Road, you can look to the north as you go out of town and see the old Cement Houses where the Colored folks lived. I don't know if you are black or not but I mean no offense by this but am relating local history. Mildred was big enough back then to have a Negro section. My Dad lived just outside town to the south and attended school there. When he was a boy during the 20's he witnessed a cross-burning by the Klan on the school's football field.

When I was a boy my Dad took me with him and showed me the old High School, which was long-closed. We had to go in through a window. There were still trophies in the cases and the basketball court was used by the local kids who broke in and played there. One classroom was locked up and full of old typewriters and junk. It had only been a couple of years before this that ALL the school stuff was still there and they auctioned it off.

Hope this was entertaining. Take note that I don't advocate trespasssing. If you do decide to look around, please be careful as the old Cement Plant grounds are exceedingly dangerous.
"That old hag hates my ass."
peterbillionaire
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

thanks for the info!
peterbillionaire
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Re: RE: Grain Complex south of Garnett Ks

Post by Willard »

Those fuckers at UER have those pictures only available to full members.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude