Bigass Mill

Urban exploration in Kansas
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Bigass Mill

Post by Sertile »

Hey, I'm still in KS where I "found" (in plain sight) an enormous vacant mill near the MO line. I've known about it for a while, but I was hesitant to go in by myself. Finally I decided to go in and check it out today while everyone else was in church. It didn't disappoint. It's actually one of the more impressive places I've explored.

The design of the building is pretty similar to the Messiah Mill in Springfield, but there are a ton of outbuildings and other stuff nearby that's equally interesting. Truth be told, I ran out of space on my camera before I saw it all, but I plan to go back ASAP to finish exploring the place and get more pictures. In the meantime, here's some of what I got so far:
Attachments
The mill
The mill
Some kind of huge grain-drying machine
Some kind of huge grain-drying machine
The basements were flooded, unfortunately
The basements were flooded, unfortunately
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: Bigass Mill

Post by White Rabbit »

Looks pretty cool. :)
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Bad news. I went by here again today and it looked like some of the outbuildings had been torn down. The main part is still intact, but I'm not sure if anyone could still get in. I didn't stop to find out.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
KansasCity
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

Post by KansasCity »

Where is this? It looks familiar, but I can't tell if I'm tricking myself or not. I've seen so many.
I knew a transsexual guy whose only ambition is to eat, drink, and be Mary.

Aka Gringo Loco on KcUrbex.org and UER
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

It's just right as you go into Ft. Scott from the MO side. I think it's Highway 54, but I could be mistaken. Like I said, it looked like they tore down part of it so I'm not sure if you can still get in.
junkman306
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Bigass Mill

Post by junkman306 »

You are correct. 54 runs across from nevada to the west through fort scott. There are a lot of mills in that area from joplin north especially along 171 from webb city to pittsburg. All the ones I've seen though are still operating.
What's the point of making a point if the point you are trying to make is pointless? Do you get my point?
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

I don't live far from there. Been by it many times. I always wondered what the view from the top would be like. I'm guessing all that stuff will go under the wrecking ball one of these days. Probably the only reason it hasn't yet is because it's not cost-effective.
"That old hag hates my ass."