Coffeyville rumor

Urban exploration in Kansas
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Coffeyville rumor

Post by White Rabbit »

I was told today, that due to the flooding and damage from petroleum-contaminated water, that one of the refineries down there had bought like 1/4 of the town. Which is now sitting abandoned and slated for demolition.

Can anyone confirm or deny? That much abandonment would be cool to see before it's gone.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Re: Coffeyville rumor

Post by BROUSER »

I haven't heard for sure. I talk to people in Coffeyville occassionally at work. I'll ask.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

I lived about twenty miles north of there for about 12 years. My wife lived in Coffeyville for awhile. We haven't lived around there for 8 or so years. I passed through on the way to Tulsa immediately previous to the flooding. The wife and I were both struck by the decline of the town-mainly on the east side, although the Wal Mart is very nasty too. The old Wal Mart was one of the nastiest I've ever been in and I was glad when they built the new one. They need another now. But I digress...We went back through the east part of town a few weeks back. Indeed, the refinery flooded a polluted some of the town. Whether the company (Valero the last I knew) is buying people out, I have no clue. Almost every single house along US 169 Hwy until it intersects US Hwy 166, is abandoned. There are condemned signs and marks on almost all these houses and businesses. Several gas stations were wiped out. There was a decent Apple Tree Inn that is condemned. Perhaps most shocking is the demise of a nearly new Best Western Motel. I believe it was called the "Brickyard" or some such. It was very nice and almost brand new. We didn't drive around any back streets, but I'm sure there was more of the same. So what you have is an already declining area that flooded and pretty much bit the dust. :cry:
"That old hag hates my ass."
lobo
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Coffeyville rumor

Post by lobo »

I was there just after the flooding had receeded and went into several houses and business's. Unless you have very good breathing equipment, I would not recommend it. Oil + Chemicals + Feces + whatever else they made down there doesnt mix too well. I saw mold spores hanging from the ceiling over 8" long, and on the floors the size of basketballs.
ARLT1YJ
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by ARLT1YJ »

Wow... that's some deadly stuff right there.
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

RE: Coffeyville rumor

Post by Scout »

My wife heard the news report just the other day. My memory is flawed but I think I heard her tell me they are now in the process of destroying 400 homes and businesses! The EPA is monitoring air quality will special attention paid to Asbestos.

Naw, I ain't goin' down there anytime soon.
ARLT1YJ
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by ARLT1YJ »

Hmm, hopefully the prevailing winds won't be out of the west for the next few months.
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

They're normally out of the southwest and I live northeast of Coffeyville. uh...lol? :shock:
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Post by GlassCurtain »

I was talking with a chick who lives in coffeyville and she gave me the whole story. Basically it rained in this area for about a month straight. The Corps of engineers kept holding out on releasing the flood gates on the dam until they had no choice. They had to open them all the way up which caused the area below to flood. Thus flooding Coffeyville and the oil refinery. The refinery's pump failed causing an oil leak. The oil company bought the damaged area of town. From what I can tell it looks to be about an 8 block by 8 block area damaged. Now all that sits are empty lots. Not sure what they are going to do with the land.

“I investigate things to complete my knowledge, my complete knowledge makes my thoughts sincere, my thoughts being sincere; my heart is pure.”

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glasscurtain/
SweetTater78
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by SweetTater78 »

Glass...we went through there about a couple of months ago.....so sad.....trees, sidewalks, driveways, & foundations are all thats left. It's bad what a failing pump can do... :|
Livin' in the ICT!