ATS&F Railroad Tracks and Railyard

Urban exploration in Kansas
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

ATS&F Railroad Tracks and Railyard

Post by Scout »

This is part of the old railroad track that used to be the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe laying right inside the city of Iola. The main part of the railyard and the station lay a few hundred yards south of this location. Most of the track has been taken over by the "Rails to Trails" initiative where the government just takes the land that is supposed to revert to the landowners on either side of the railroad bed if the railroad ever abandoned it. They did and the state promptly just claimed it. Supposedly, this part actually belongs to a local businessman, but I've heard the city is claiming "Imminent Domain" and trying to condemn it and take it over.

I climbed up the tower but didn't go clear to the top because my family insisted on standing right under the thing and I was afraid on the small chance it fell, it would get them too. I couldn't yell at them because, despite the isolated appearance of the place, it is right in town. Anyway, maybe I'll school them and climb out on the catwalk next time.

It's higher up than it looks. lol

Here are our kids standing in front of an old building which had electronics in it. Probably a switch house.

"That old hag hates my ass."