Stull Cemetary: 7th Gateway To Hell

Urban exploration in Kansas
Sparkle
Stray Cat
Stray Cat

Stull Cemetary: 7th Gateway To Hell

Post by Sparkle »

Security: Fence, Alert Neighbors, Random Police Patroling

Story:Stull Cemetery, and the abandoned church that rests next to it, is located in the tiny, nearly forgotten Kansas town of Stull. There is not much left of the tiny village, save for a few houses, the newer church and about twenty residents. However, the population of the place allegedly contains a number of residents that are from beyond this earth! In addition to its human inhabitants, the town is also home to a number of legends and strange tales that are linked to the crumbling old church and the overgrown cemetery that can be found atop Stull’s Emmanuel Hill. For years, stories of witchcraft, ghosts and supernatural happenings have surrounded the old graveyard. It is a place that some claim is one of the "seven gateways to hell."

http://www.prairieghosts.com/stull.html
-=Let them hate, as long as they also fear=-
ricrat
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by ricrat »

Sounds like a cool place. Anyone ever been there ?
Sparkle
Stray Cat
Stray Cat

Post by Sparkle »

ricrat wrote:Sounds like a cool place. Anyone ever been there ?
I never have, but would like to of. A disadvantage to Urban Exploration is definatley go while you have a chance....because a week alter the building may not be standing, the drain filled with water, or your entry way blocked.

Read Here:
http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Outback/2960/

A great legend while it was around though.... :D
-=Let them hate, as long as they also fear=-
ricrat
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Stull Cemetary: 7th Gateway To Hell

Post by ricrat »

I wish I could have made it before the church went down. Still way cool legends and the stairway may still be there. Might still be worth a road trip.
If you don't know where you are going, how will you know when you get there ?
Watcher
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Watcher »

So many people have gone out there and done stupid crap that the cops take a *very* dim view of anybody trespassing on the place. And they watch it like hawks, even since the church came down.
krboots
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by krboots »

The tiny-ass town of Stull, KS is located about 10 miles from Lawrence, KS where I went to college.

Anyway, my friends and I tried to visit the infamous "gateway to hell" on two different occasions. The first trip we made was around 2:00 a.m. Once we finally found the location we were so hyped up from all the legends and crazy ass stories about the place we couldn't get out of the car. Not to mention there was a car tailing us for the majority of our journey.

The second time my roommate and I decided to check it out during broad day light like complete morons. Once again, we had no luck. Right across the road there was some sort of building (can't remember if it was a barn or a church) with a few people standing outside of it. We cruised around the mile section to pass by the site of the cemetary again and this time the local Sherriff rode by. Thinking it was just by chance we drove some more and came back a bit later and he was parked across the road.

Needless to say, the only rumor I was able to confirm about this great legend is...good luck getting in there because the local townies watch that place like crazy.

I am saddened that I never took the opportunities I had before the church fell to the ground.

(by the way, I'm a newbie....Hello! :D )
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: Stull Cemetary: 7th Gateway To Hell

Post by White Rabbit »

krboots wrote:(by the way, I'm a newbie....Hello! :D )
Well, hey, welcome to the forum. :) You should check out the thread about the Nashville tunnels in the Outside the Ozarks forum and let us know about those.
krboots
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by krboots »

I read about those tunnels from the post. I haven't heard of them, but I'll look into it and start asking around and see what I can find out. Sounds like a good hunt.
jdoublep
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by jdoublep »

i went to KU as well and visited stull back in '93.
i have a pic of the old church standing on the hill that i'll try to post soon.
we were able to walk around up in the church and found nothing but a bunch of broken bottles and graffiti.
http://www.lawrence.com/news/2004/oct/26/stull/

this site is awesome, by the way. i've been to a few of the sites in springfield that you've photographed and it was very cool to relive the experience. i was really excited to see your dogpatch photos too. my fiance and i were going to roadtrip down to dogpatch last summer to do some exploring, but never got the chance.

apparently, KU has some nice tunnels to explore. i'll see if i can find out more about them.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: Stull Cemetary: 7th Gateway To Hell

Post by White Rabbit »

jdoublep wrote:this site is awesome, by the way. i've been to a few of the sites in springfield that you've photographed and it was very cool to relive the experience. i was really excited to see your dogpatch photos too. my fiance and i were going to roadtrip down to dogpatch last summer to do some exploring, but never got the chance.

apparently, KU has some nice tunnels to explore. i'll see if i can find out more about them.
Hey, thanks man. Welcome to the site, by the way. If you're in the KC area, I'd love to hear about more stuff in that area. Especially if you know of any huge tunnels or drains (we don't have many good sewer drains here).

And yeah, I've heard that about KU, too. I've got a long term plan to explore university in that four-state area's steam tunnels :P
dogpatchexpert
Someone Say Dogpatch?
Someone Say Dogpatch?

Post by dogpatchexpert »

i watched the video that was on that site god thats some F'ed up shit
Dogpatch Expert
jdoublep
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by jdoublep »

i haven't done too much exploring in kc itself but i posted on my blog that anyone who needs a photographer and wants to go - look me up.
here's the kc ue meetup link:
http://urbanexplor.meetup.com/14/
i'll probably hook up with them at some point and see what they've got going on.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Yeah. The guy on meetup.com that talks about the downtown KC tunnels, I've been trying to get in touch with him for a long time. I'd love to find out about those.
nuskool
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by nuskool »

I'VE BEEN TO THE CEMETERY IN STULL, IT'S PRETTY FREAKY,WE DIDN'T HAVE MUCH OF A PROBLEM GETTING IN...BUT THERE IS A HOUSE DIRECTLY ACROSS THE STREET, WHICH IS NEXT TO A CHURCH. STILL REALLY CREEPY THO!
kc explorers member
-security gaurds are just speedbumps-
-woogie boogie bitches!
bugo
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by bugo »

I drove by the place a few months after the church was demolished, but I never got to see the church. The way the locals are anal about the place makes you wonder if they're not hiding something. Probably not ghosts or a viaduct to hell (I don't believe in anything like that) but they act like there's something there they don't want anybody to see.