Stull Cemetary: 7th Gateway To Hell

Urban exploration in Kansas
kcexplorer
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: Stull Cemetary: 7th Gateway To Hell

Post by kcexplorer »

nuskool wrote:I'VE BEEN TO THE CEMETERY IN STULL, IT'S PRETTY FREAKY,WE DIDN'T HAVE MUCH OF A PROBLEM GETTING IN...BUT THERE IS A HOUSE DIRECTLY ACROSS THE STREET, WHICH IS NEXT TO A CHURCH. STILL REALLY CREEPY THO!
yeah it was easy for use to get but on the exit of looking at the area the care takers across the street were looking at us
KCEXPLORERS.. leader
Suspira
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Stull Cemetary: 7th Gateway To Hell

Post by Suspira »

Some friends and I visited Stull after reading the book I vampire back in the early 90's. We had no real problems while there, but after being there for several hours the cops told us unless we had business there that it was a private cemetary and we needed to leave. The church was still standing at the time, there was a lot of graffitti on the walls, and it was crumbling down at that time. After we returned, all three of us had some major bad luck, which is supposedly part of the legend, who knows if it was just our bad luck or something else. I would visit it again though, but sounds like they are watching it even more closely now even then before.
darkcloud617
Sir Talks-a-lot
Sir Talks-a-lot

Post by darkcloud617 »

holy crap- that makes me really want to go to Kansas.
whipping_post
The Corruptor
The Corruptor

Post by whipping_post »

It seems as though they've become quite militant about the whole thing from what I've been able to gather. I would take pictures and ask permission to enter the cemetary for pictures inside the fence but otherwise, no sense getting them upset.
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign.
mechfreak57
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Stull Cemetary: 7th Gateway To Hell

Post by mechfreak57 »

my art teacher grew up near stull, and hes always seemed a little odd......
The objective of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other sorry bastard die for his.
-Gen. Patton
Watcher
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Watcher »

whipping_post wrote:It seems as though they've become quite militant about the whole thing from what I've been able to gather. I would take pictures and ask permission to enter the cemetary for pictures inside the fence but otherwise, no sense getting them upset.
If you had drunk dumbasses tromping all over your lawn for years looking for some supposed gateway to Hell and accusing you of being a Satanist, you might get a little annoyed as well.
"Oh, poor Watcher. Did your life flash before your eyes? Cuppa tea, cuppa tea, almost got shagged, cuppa tea..."
- Spike, "BTVS"
whipping_post
The Corruptor
The Corruptor

Post by whipping_post »

Watcher wrote:If you had drunk dumbasses tromping all over your lawn for years looking for some supposed gateway to Hell and accusing you of being a Satanist, you might get a little annoyed as well.
Very true. Which is why I'd rather get permission on some things. Besides, it's just bad form to just go tromping around on the graves of some people, they tend to get a wee bit upset as you mentioned. ;)
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign.
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

Been by there several times. It's not very scary looking to me. Maybe it was different before the Church went south. The problem is, it's right in plain sight of the little town itself with several houses right across the road. They are going to report you and you are going to spend the night in the Topeka jail-not a fun place. It's just not remote enough to be very frightening.
"That old hag hates my ass."
Big Sam
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Big Sam »

bugo wrote:I drove by the place a few months after the church was demolished, but I never got to see the church. The way the locals are anal about the place makes you wonder if they're not hiding something. Probably not ghosts or a viaduct to hell (I don't believe in anything like that) but they act like there's something there they don't want anybody to see.
Watcher has it right.

The reason they are so "anal" is due to the graves that have been desecrated over the years. Sometimes, around Halloween, that area would become packed with college kids checking out this supposed "7th Gateway." Unfortunately, too often, many forget (or don't care) that loved ones are buried in the cemetary (there are many long term families farming/ranching in the area).

I guess the issue is, do you want people constantly wandering through, over, and often trashing your loved ones' graves (and it has happened).

My cousin was married in the church across the road. He ranches very near by. All in all, the mindlessness this "legend" has attracted hasn't exactly been a godsend to this town or its inhabitants lives.

As a result, I would be wary of any "visitors" as well.

Sam S.
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

Oh I agree totally. Although I think it's a bit much to jail anybody who walks in there, I understand the concerns. There's no telling who that sort of thing attracts too. Do you really want them creeping around your house late at night around your kids? Most are harmless and the worst they do is maybe walk over graves but you never know...
"That old hag hates my ass."
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

but i really would not be happy to have a bunch of strangers walking all over my dads grave probaly get a tad upset and probaly actually do something about it :?
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
TooMuchCoffee
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by TooMuchCoffee »

I would bet every state has 3 or 4 of these "haunted" cemetaries. The difference here is that the college paper that printed the rumor first. Then the story made itself when all the college kids started showing up.

When I was a teen (oh so long ago) outside the little town of Ward AR there was an old abandoned cemetary. 1/4 mile down the dirt road was an abandoned farm house with a nice big tree out front. Rumors were started that "devil-worshippers" met in the house because a witch used to live there and that blacks were lynched in the tree out front. Nobody could remember where they "learned" that story. The worshippers preformed "black arts" in the nearby cemetary and were digging up the old graves. Then of course, symbols ended up painted on/in the house and on the old headstones and whatnot. Eventually, the land owner leveled the house and it all stopped.

However, one day a friend and I decided to look at the cemetary in the middle of the day. We freaked ourselves out so much we couldn't even enter the cemetary.

I forgot to mention: it was a windy day. As we approached the gate, it was blowing quite hard. Right when my friend touched the gate, all the wind stopped. Just like that...nothing. That's probably the part that freaked us out the most. We ran back to the truck and the started again.
Last edited by TooMuchCoffee on Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Anyone else smell that?"
Watcher
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Watcher »

This particular urban legend even made its way into a roleplaying game supplement that I have. In the story, an FBI agent starts investigating into demonology and such stuff. He ends up disappearing in Stull Cemetery. All just standard RPG bullshit of course, but it shows the prevalence of the urban legend.

The supplement is called "Days of Fire" for the RPG "Demon: The Fallen". It isn't published any more but you can still buy a PDF copy on some online vendors.
"Oh, poor Watcher. Did your life flash before your eyes? Cuppa tea, cuppa tea, almost got shagged, cuppa tea..."
- Spike, "BTVS"
TooMuchCoffee
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by TooMuchCoffee »

Here's a good one. Read this story.
First, go to www.louisvilleghs.com (the louisville ghost hunter society - the one's that got waverly hills on the map). In the menu on the left hand side, go down and click on "LGHS Case Files" tab. Open the "urban legends" file. Then scroll down to the bottom and read "The Legend of the Little Witch Girl at Pilot's Knob".

Awesome, just awesome.

Makes Stull Cemetary seem like an evening at an amusement park.
"Anyone else smell that?"
Watcher
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Watcher »

Cool site. I remember reading about the Goat Man in Jeff Foxworthy's autobiography "No shoes, no shirt, no problem". I just about laughed my ass off.

But, as you can probably tell from my handle and avatar, I am a believer in the paranormal.
- Spike, "BTVS"