Boling Dome Mine - Newgulf, TX

Urban exploration outside of the Ozarks area
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Boling Dome Mine - Newgulf, TX

Post by Headframe Hunters »

I've been down in east Texas for the last few days, and managed to fit in a mine trip. We visited the Boling Dome Mine, a former Frasch-process sulfur mine. The Frasch process used injection wells drilled from the surface to pump boiling water into the orebody, melt the elemental sulfur, and carry it to the surface. This is an unusual form of mining - no pit, no shafts, no workings in the conventional sense! There were still some very interesting buildings, as well as remnants of the processing plant and mine field. This mine started production in 1929, and ceased about 1996, with 8,000 sulfur wells drilled.

The area above the orebody subsided after millions of tons of ore was removed. The 'mine field', where all extraction wells were drilled, is now a giant lake. This photo shows a storage tank, as well as numerous electric lines, partly submerged out in the lake.

We then moved on to the field warehouse, which was used to store drilling supplies and spare parts for field crews.

Inside, labelled shelves would have held everything from pipe fittings to valves to pump parts. Some of them had rolling ladders on rails to access upper shelves.

Field offices are through this door.

Based on the amount of debris on the floor, the field warehouse looks to have flooded recently, possibly during Hurricane Harvey.

This is the back side of the field warehouse, most offices are in the tan, stuccoed portion.

This Komatsu excavator has probably been here since the mine shut down.

This old-style drill derrick was found in a pasture several hundred yards from the field warehouse. I'm not sure if it was used at the mine, or in the adjacent oil and gas field - we drove by quite a few producing wells very close to the mine.

These Quonset huts, in the shadow of the plant stacks, seem to have been used for general storage. A diesel tank and pump was located around the back for fueling field equipment.

We then moved to the mine's equipment shop.

The shop appears to be used by a local golf club to store and maintain golf carts. There is a fairly serious-looking overhead crane installed here. Given the nature of Frasch mines, no oversized equipment was used at the mine.

The mine used to have a fairly extensive railroad network near the sulfur vats, used to transport sulfur to customers. This rail buggy, located in front of the main shop, was no doubt used on it.

The processing plant stood here previously. Its stacks and foundations remain; the steel plant frame was removed about ten years ago. Beyond, you can see the Wharton County Generating plant, a natural-gas plant running off the area's active oil and gas wells.

Across from the main shop are the mine's offices and laboratories. The white truck and excavator belong to a crew tearing down at least one of these structures. We passed by work trucks and this crew; nobody seemed to mind us poking around and taking pictures, and the mine wasn't even posted.
In loving memory of Nichole - 12/4/1996 -- 12/1/2017

https://headframehunters.blogspot.com/
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Re: Boling Dome Mine - Newgulf, TX

Post by mindwaave »

Cool! Glad you got to get some 'splorin done during your visit, thanks for sharing.
Preservation over plunder.
BacktotheFuture4Life
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Boling Dome Mine - Newgulf, TX

Post by BacktotheFuture4Life »

Awesome photos! Thanks for sharing!
gnomad1
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: Boling Dome Mine - Newgulf, TX

Post by gnomad1 »