UO 2.0 - New Theme - Icons

For things related to the site itself -- updates, problems, bugs, requests
UOmoderators
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

UO 2.0 - New Theme - Icons

Post by UOmoderators »

Ever since we got this fancy new theme installed, people have pointed out how hard it is to see what the icons are supposed to indicate. Specifically: New posts.

And we agree, the new icons are/were kind of stupid. Which is why today we finally got around to updating the "new post" icon. You probably saw that fancy new post icon thanks to this announcement. But if they still look the same for you, refresh your browser cache. CTLR+F5 seems to do the trick for me.

For now, the only icon that has been updated is the "new post" icon. It's now slightly brighter and easier to see. There are several other icons for post/forum status but they're all kinda dumb and they haven't been changed because they're not that important and I haven't figured out what to do with them yet. Note: Suggestions are always welcome! Do you want to see a return to the blinky rabbit head? Or do you want to design your own icons with absolutely no guarantee we'll ever use them? Do it! The icons are 50x50px and they're currently in jpg format. I assume they could be changed to gifs like the blinky rabbit head but that would take some PHP code modification (which is why the blinky rabbit head hasn't been reinstated yet)... Feel free to attach your abominations, er.. I mean creations to this thread! Otherwise, maybe in another 5 years I'll get around to replacing the other icons as well. Who knows!

I've attached the new/old icons to this post so you can see them side by side. And yeah, this seems like a pretty minor thing that should have only taken 5 minutes but...

Here's the thing: PHP (the code/etc which runs this forum) is... a "fucking pain in the ass". It literally took ~2 hours of my time from start to finish before the updated icons finally appeared. PHP forum administration is a migraine inducing nightmare of overly complex and seemingly redundant horseshit. I hate it and I do it as infrequently as possible. I/we have lives and jobs and families and stuff. Also, be aware that 100% of the work done on this site is voluntary, everything takes forever and it actually costs money to keep this thing alive. It's a labor of love. But I'm sorry for how long that simple little thing took to fix.

Having said all that: Stay tuned for a major update coming soon to a forum near you. I've already invested several additional hours into this currently super-secret project and it's nearly done. Just working out the logistics at this point.

Happy xmas and a merry new years to all of you out there in undergroundozarksland! Stay filthy, my friends.
Attachments
The previous icon for new posts. That shit was barely visible!
The previous icon for new posts. That shit was barely visible!
forum_unread.jpg (812 Bytes) Viewed 30162 times
The new and improved icon for new posts. Such wow!
The new and improved icon for new posts. Such wow!
forum_unread.jpg (1.06 KiB) Viewed 30162 times
the current icon for read posts
the current icon for read posts
forum_read.jpg (697 Bytes) Viewed 30162 times
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Re: UO 2.0 - New Theme - Icons

Post by mindwaave »

UOadmins wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:05 pmHere's the thing: PHP (the code/etc which runs this forum) is... a "fucking pain in the ass".
💛 💯

I am partial to the ol' rabbit iconography, but this bright red improvement is just as good to see. Such wow!
Preservation over plunder.
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Post by Chris »

I'll echo the above. I'll forever miss the rabbit, but the bright red at least makes it easy to see. Thanks for keeping it up.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

When did you add the pm tags?
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand