No updating

For things related to the site itself -- updates, problems, bugs, requests
S1L3N7B0B
Lunch Box
Lunch Box

RE: No updating

Post by S1L3N7B0B »

Every thread on here has managed to turn into something like this. :?
We might die from medication
But we sure killed all the pain ~ Conor Oberst
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Thread Highjackers, AWAY! :D
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Anne »

*whinny kid voice that I'm great at doing* It's doing it again and only at my house! No new threads or posts even show up on BPOS *comps name*. Was it possibly just a glitch with the server until I got to work?
Anne has left the building.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: No updating

Post by White Rabbit »

Anne wrote:*whinny kid voice that I'm great at doing* It's doing it again and only at my house! No new threads or posts even show up on BPOS *comps name*. Was it possibly just a glitch with the server until I got to work?
Well... No, it shouldn't be. Every user here on the forum has their information stored in a big honking database table on the SQL server. For every user, it has a list of topics (by topic number) that are unread stored in a particular cell. What's in that cell doesn't change depending on what computer you're using. In fact, it doesn't change unless you click "Mark All Read" or read the invidual topics. So, it it ought to be the same no matter where you're logging into the site from.

Which means it has to be something particular to your computer. I'm not really sure what it could be. Maybe something weird about how it's caching the site at your house? Or some sort of cookie issue? You might try wiping all the cookies you have and seeing if that does anything. But I have a feeling it's something weirder than that.
whipping_post
The Corruptor
The Corruptor

Re: RE: No updating

Post by whipping_post »

White Rabbit wrote:
Anne wrote:*whinny kid voice that I'm great at doing* It's doing it again and only at my house! No new threads or posts even show up on BPOS *comps name*. Was it possibly just a glitch with the server until I got to work?
Well... No, it shouldn't be. Every user here on the forum has their information stored in a big honking database table on the SQL server. For every user, it has a list of topics (by topic number) that are unread stored in a particular cell. What's in that cell doesn't change depending on what computer you're using. In fact, it doesn't change unless you click "Mark All Read" or read the invidual topics. So, it it ought to be the same no matter where you're logging into the site from.

Which means it has to be something particular to your computer. I'm not really sure what it could be. Maybe something weird about how it's caching the site at your house? Or some sort of cookie issue? You might try wiping all the cookies you have and seeing if that does anything. But I have a feeling it's something weirder than that.
Sounds like a cookie issue to me as well. I always clean mine at least once or twice a day and I use different computers, but I'm pretty sure WR is on the right track with this one.
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign.
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Anne »

Yea I cleared out the cookies and it started working again. Computer hate me, especially this one.
Anne has left the building.
whipping_post
The Corruptor
The Corruptor

Post by whipping_post »

Computers are just funny that way. For some reason, cookies become corrupt (evil?) and need to be eliminated. It's always good practice to clean out your cookies and temp files because they take up lots of room on your hard drive.

Not to mention the security issues involved.
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign.