Question: Do you think UO will dye out?

You can talk about anything here
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: Question: Do you think UO will dye out?

Post by Nicotti »

Is StL really tapped out? I drove down pretty much the whole of MLK/St Charles Rock rd the other day. Seems to be a lot of boarded up places, some of them gotta be semi-worthwhile.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

Nicotti wrote:Is StL really tapped out?
Short answer: of course not
Longer answer: many old favorites are gone, and the badass stuff that remains is elusive and time-consuming to research/attempt
Preservation over plunder.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Question: Do you think UO will dye out?

Post by SubLunar »

mindwaave wrote:
Nicotti wrote:Is StL really tapped out?
Short answer: of course not
Longer answer: many old favorites are gone, and the badass stuff that remains is elusive and time-consuming to research/attempt
Longerer answer:

The way I see it is there's still lots of stuff to explore. But the vast majority is, IMO, of the less interesting variety. For anyone just getting started or just wanting to roam around and explore, there's definitely tons to do. SO many schools and unidentified buildings to see.

But eventually, I think, no matter where you are, the prolific explorer finds him/herself seeking out higher and higher stakes for the bigger and better rewards. No longer being content with the run of the mill pedestrian stuff. I'm most interested in historic sites, places that have history and tell stories through their bones. That or the big industrial/medical stuff, the crazy/unique locations.

The really iconic STL locations like Armour and St. Mary's and the Arcade are gone or renovated. The list of things, for example, that made it worth driving in from another city is quickly dwindling. These days, I have a hard time answering questions from out-of-towners on what to explore here. I personally started feeling like I was beginning to run in circles covering the same ground in STL... a long time ago actually.

If I didn't have a full time job, I'd be out exploring the boring stuff, too. But I'm increasingly busy and have to prioritize my time and as such, you eventually get to a point where there isn't much left that's real exciting in the city limits. If I only get one chance to explore this month, it's gotta be good. So it's time to start venturing out and seeing what's over the river, what's a half a day's drive away, what's three states away, etc.

We've had a lot of success outside of STL in recent years and scored some truly fucking awesome sites that you just won't find in STL. I love Saint Louis but.. there's good stuff further out there, too. Stuff hardly anyone knows about, where security is still lazy.

On top of all that, the good spots in STL get fucked over quick. Lots of assholes out there. More so than ever. Mum's the word these days. The shit we have done recently, I ain't posting publicly either. In the age of social media, new locations are treated like currency and entrance information spreads faster than the clap.
Snoopy
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: Question: Do you think UO will dye out?

Post by Snoopy »

SubLunar wrote:In the age of social media, new locations are treated like currency and entrance information spreads faster than the clap.
^^^ thats the best explanation on the mf planet
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Post by slow_walker »

Every time this thread surfaces, "dye" out makes me cry
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

Yup.

Live slow, dye old.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

slow_walker wrote:Every time this thread surfaces, "dye" out makes me cry
Cause it reminds you that we're all turning old and gray and you hope you can dye that gray away and stay 'young' forever?

-Ayn Rand
slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »

I am happy to say at my not young age, I still have no gray hair!
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

My best friend likes to remind me constantly that I have like seven gray/silver hairs growing at my temples. Probably cause she's 2 years older than me and doesn't have any.

I tell her that considering both of my grandpas went bald, I'm okay with gray rather than a receding hairline.

-Ayn Rand