Mitch Hedberg Dies at 37

You can talk about anything here
tyler
Precocious Little Scamp
Precocious Little Scamp

Mitch Hedberg Dies at 37

Post by tyler »

All bickering aside, folks. This is very serious.
____

By Jonathan Pitts
Sun Staff
Originally published March 31, 2005, 5:05 PM EST

It seemed like just another on-air phone call. Shortly before 10 a.m. today, the hosts of the Kirk, Mark and Lopez morning show on 98 Rock (WIYY-FM) dialed the number of standup comedian Mitch Hedberg, who was scheduled for a phone interview.

The nationally known jokester was booked for five straight shows at Baltimore's Improv beginning last night.

A distraught-sounding woman answered and said that Hedberg wasn't available. She hung up.

The mystery wasn't cleared up until midafternoon today, when the comedian's publicists announced that Hedberg, 37, had passed away the night before. The cause of death was still unknown.

Stephanie Drummond, producer of the drive-time show, was grappling with her disbelief today. Hedberg, who had become a semi-regular in recent years on such national TV shows as Late Night With David Letterman and Late Late With Craig Kilborn, had appeared many times on the station, which works closely with the Improv chain.

"He's a wonderful guy," she said. "His delivery is so dry. He's like [deadpan comic] Steven Wright, with a little bit of hippie in him."

The show was bombarded with e-mails asking about Hedberg today, many wondering if it was an April Fool's joke. It wasn't.

"We'll be playing a lot of his highlights on the [Friday morning] show," she said. "He'll be missed."

Just two weeks ago, the long-haired comic had tried out a few new jokes on the Howard Stern Show. Some were about satellite radio, which he said he was beginning to hear frequently during his cross-country travels. "There's a reason you can curse" on satellite radio, he said. "Nobody's listening."

This is horrible.
ann_marie
Explore Whore
Explore Whore

RE: Mitch Hedberg Dies at 37

Post by ann_marie »

I'm really sick of people killing themselves. Is life really that bad? I just listened to him on howard stern the other day.
One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
tyler
Precocious Little Scamp
Precocious Little Scamp

Post by tyler »

I've fucking down about this. MOrawk is pretty down as well...the thread has garnered a good amount of attention. This is horrible.
ann_marie
Explore Whore
Explore Whore

Re: RE: Mitch Hedberg Dies at 37

Post by ann_marie »

ivecomeasiam wrote:I've fucking down about this. MOrawk is pretty down as well...the thread has garnered a good amount of attention. This is horrible.
They shut down his website. Do we know what happened yet? The reports were pretty vague.
One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
tyler
Precocious Little Scamp
Precocious Little Scamp

Post by tyler »

The latest I've read is that it was heart failure. His mother said that he's had a heart condition that has always been very serious. This is pending the medical examiner's report. But she knows his drug use is no secret...but say it's likely to have been heart failure.