AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!

You can talk about anything here
Mindscape
The Leprechaun
The Leprechaun

Re: RE: AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!

Post by Mindscape »

ivecomeasiam wrote:The comment that Simon's point is void because he "doesn't do" is ridiculous. If people like him didn't exist just because they don't sing or dance...then there would be no such thing as a record label, there would be no producers. It's a stupid comment.
It's hardly stupid. Further, I fail to see a problem with the lack of record labels and/or producers. All I'm seeing is yet another person who wants to be a critic of singers (read: producer/Simon/record label owner/whatever).
"I'm going deeper underground.
There's too much panic in this town."
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

RE: AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!

Post by Willard »

But see producers and record lables and other such things in the music industry are what are turing it into CRAP. The recording industry will burn in hell for eternity becasue they pocket most of the money and the artists get payed dick.. not to mention we the customer pay rediculously (sp?) high prices for any popular CDs. Oh and news flash, it's only been since the 1990's that the radio stations have had to pay fees to play songs on the radio...

Hmmm... let's think about this for a minute... The one media outlet that was responsable for making bands and singers popular is being charged to play these songs...

This also leads me to another area... MTV... does anyone remember the first music video to ever air on MTV?
I'll give you a hint... "Video killed the radio star, video killed the radio star..."

(sadly enough "Hey Mickey" also aired that say year...1982)
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
ann_marie
Explore Whore
Explore Whore

Post by ann_marie »

Bottom line is that if producers/record label people had any taste (instead of marketing skills) we wouldn't hear/see shit like Jessica Simpson and Britney Spears and other no-talent ass clowns. They want a product to market and sell. Simon is no exception. It's not that I don't like him because he can't sing or dance. I don't like him because he doesn't know a good voice from a hole in his head. And the host....ugh...don't EVEN get me started on Ryan Seacrest. OMG...he's everywhere. Ugh.
One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
ann_marie
Explore Whore
Explore Whore

Post by ann_marie »

Willard wrote: This also leads me to another area... MTV... does anyone remember the first music video to ever air on MTV?
How about, does anyone remember the last time they saw a video on MTV? Oh yeah, 1982. Now it's just stupid ass shows and hip-hop. Even Fuse is selling out.
One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Anne »

Willard wrote:You should toon into KTOZ 1060AM's old time radio programes at 6pm or 6:30pm every week night... they play old radio shows such as The Shadow and some others that I can't think of right off hand.
I caught the tail end of one of those tonight coming back from work. I might sneak in my cd player with that has the radio on it to work tomorrow.
ann_marie wrote:Even Fuse is selling out.
I remember when Much Music, the Canadian channel was still airing! I loved that channel, but then they turned it into Much Music, USA, which starting sucking and then Fuse which really stinks now. I'd rather watch Vh1 for I love the 70's 80's and 90's shows. :D
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

You should listen to KKLH 104.7 after 9am... they actually play good music. 70's and 80's rock! :-D some ACDC, Queen, Elton John, Kiss, Blondi, Heart, Pat Bentar (SP?), Stix.... I could keep going... and so I will... Bread, Kansas, Boston, Chicago, Blood Sweat and Tears, James Taylor, Cream (Eric Clapton), Edgar Winter Band (famous for Frankinstine), I think they're starting to get some more 80's rock in there as well, but I can't remember how late.

Mindscape
The Leprechaun
The Leprechaun

Post by Mindscape »

Willard wrote:You should listen to KKLH 104.7 after 9am... they actually play good music. 70's and 80's rock! :-D some ACDC, Queen, Elton John, Kiss, Blondi, Heart, Pat Bentar (SP?), Stix.... I could keep going... and so I will... Bread, Kansas, Boston, Chicago, Blood Sweat and Tears, James Taylor, Cream (Eric Clapton), Edgar Winter Band (famous for Frankinstine), I think they're starting to get some more 80's rock in there as well, but I can't remember how late.
Play some Skynard, man!

Sorry, hadda be said.

Let's see... Styx and Boston I've set up for, Kansas I've seen in concert... Throw in Motley Crue and you've got one of the shows I set up for.

Me, though, I prefer old-school Genesis (Lamb Lies Down, anyone?), Pink Floyd, the Who, and anybody else who ever put out a good rock opera.
"I'm going deeper underground.
There's too much panic in this town."
tyler
Precocious Little Scamp
Precocious Little Scamp

Post by tyler »

I skipped through most of this because I don't have time to read it. The music industry, just like anything, is about marketing. Only in music, the markets can be built. The statement that record labels ruin the music industry is naive. If you've ever taken a look at a cd or album, you may find that Sony doesn't release every record in the world.

Some record labels have focused their energy on marketing pop singers. The music industry is called that for a reason. It's not a "We've got a great song that is a style that no one's ever heard and it's not shitty pop singers" People don't care. People want what they've always wanted. The majority of people want a song they can related to even if it was written completely for that reason and not to mean anything to the writer. The song could talk about killing children with pitchforks but as long as it says something about it being because the writer was dumped...it's gold to these kids.

Labels haven't killed music, labels were around when music was pure and still untampered. Now, everyone and his brother play guitar or write songs. So everyone feels they have a fair shot at making it onto a record label...so these kids are writing music to cater to a scene. Scenes are yet another huge asset to marketing. With the hardcore scene, punk scene, and so forth...it's making it easier and easier to cater to a certain group and have a higher probability of having a succesful album.

Just because you don't like music that a few record labels produce doesn't mean that every record label has destroyed the music industry. If it weren't for record labels, there wouldn't be a music industry period and there would be little to no way at all for people to get their music out tp a mass majority of people. Unless some rich benefactor wanted to put money in them to get their name out, and what is that? That's a record label.

I'm just saying, hate Simon if you want and hate people like him if you want. But don't go around saying that record labels ruined the music industry and not expect someone to call you on it.
tyler
Precocious Little Scamp
Precocious Little Scamp

Post by tyler »

Mindscape wrote: All I'm seeing is yet another person who wants to be a critic of singers (read: producer/Simon/record label owner/whatever).
I'm a songwriter and musician myself. However, I'm not so naive that I think you can get somewhere in music on your own. Without producers and record labels, it's next to impossible now. There are so many outlets for bands to get their music out that there's been a flood of bands. There are more independent labels now then there ever has been and a lot of independent labels have really reached the level of a Major label due to so many people flooding the market.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

You want to find out how many record lables there were when the recorded music first became available to the masses, just go though a stack of 78's at any given flea market or antique store... there were tons of them before the 1920's and even several in the early 1930's... though I doubt a lot of the records have survived.

tyler
Precocious Little Scamp
Precocious Little Scamp

Post by tyler »

Well, "record label" at that time was entirely different. There weren't many companies that really set out to make records and did so in mass quantities. Vocalion, Columbia, RCA, Brunswick, Okeh.

For instance, take that movie O' Brother Where Art Thou. The part where they cut that 78 of Man Of Constant Sorrow in the radio studio. There were a lot of people like that who would record those and either sell them to one of the aforementioned companies or release them themselves with some random name on the center label.

The amount of actual companies now who are solely dedicated to the production of records is out of control.
tyler
Precocious Little Scamp
Precocious Little Scamp

Post by tyler »

Mindscape wrote:
ivecomeasiam wrote:The comment that Simon's point is void because he "doesn't do" is ridiculous. If people like him didn't exist just because they don't sing or dance...then there would be no such thing as a record label, there would be no producers. It's a stupid comment.
It's hardly stupid. Further, I fail to see a problem with the lack of record labels and/or producers. All I'm seeing is yet another person who wants to be a critic of singers (read: producer/Simon/record label owner/whatever).
Also, I apologize for using the term stupid. That wasn't necessary and I'm sorry.
ann_marie
Explore Whore
Explore Whore

Post by ann_marie »

I don't hate record labels or producers. I hate the idiots in the world that buy the crap they produce (i.e. Britney Spears and Jessica Simpson). Supply and demand though. So again, for the record, I hate the idiots that listen to shit music.

Can we hear your music somewhere ivecomeasiam?
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Anne »

Wow, I started something with being mad about American Idol. lol. I don't even know what's played on popular radio stations anymore. Ask me a well known band and I will probably have a blank look on my face. Except I do know of Brittney Spears... yay.... :|
tyler
Precocious Little Scamp
Precocious Little Scamp

Post by tyler »

There is. But it's not entirely operation as of yet.