Installing Windows XP on SATA drives? Don't use AHCI

You can talk about anything here
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Installing Windows XP on SATA drives? Don't use AHCI

Post by SubLunar »

Totally obsolete useless bit of information, but I just ran into this again today so I wanted to tell the internet how dumb it is for perpetuating the following myth. I've tried telling people this before..

There has been a long standing misconception that to install Windows XP onto SATA drives using an AHCI compatible motherboard, you need to add the drivers to your XP install disc in a complicated and time consuming Slip-Streaming method.

You're dumb for doing this. Really dumb. You really thought that manufacturers didn't allow for some backwards compatibility?

All you had to do is go into your BIOS and change the drive settings. Instead of AHCI use the other option. Sometimes called Legacy Mode. The BIOS should be your first stop for things like this.

DERP. You're stupid, internet.

I tried commenting on a thread just now but it got deleted so I'm just venting my frustration here.
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Re: Installing Windows XP on SATA drives? Don't use AHCI

Post by mindwaave »

SubLunar wrote:The BIOS should be your first stop for things like this.

Both of these statements are correct.
Preservation over plunder.
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Re: Installing Windows XP on SATA drives? Don

Post by GlassCurtain »

Wait until you have to deal with UEFI in windows 8...that's an annoying pain in the ass!

You have to go into BIOS and disable "Secure Boot". Restart. Enter the secure boot code to truly disable Secure boot. Then go into BIOS and enable Legacy boot...just to boot to a cd.
“I investigate things to complete my knowledge, my complete knowledge makes my thoughts sincere, my thoughts being sincere; my heart is pure.”

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glasscurtain/
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by paul06660 »

SubLunar wrote:Totally obsolete useless bit of information, but I just ran into this again today so I wanted to tell the internet how dumb it is for perpetuating the following myth. I've tried telling people this before..

There has been a long standing misconception that to install Windows XP onto SATA drives using an AHCI compatible motherboard, you need to add the drivers to your XP install disc in a complicated and time consuming Slip-Streaming method.

You're dumb for doing this. Really dumb. You really thought that manufacturers didn't allow for some backwards compatibility?

All you had to do is go into your BIOS and change the drive settings. Instead of AHCI use the other option. Sometimes called Legacy Mode. The BIOS should be your first stop for things like this.

I tried commenting on a thread just now but it got deleted so I'm just venting my frustration here.
Keep in mind that AHCI mode is meant for newer SATA III drives which run in a totally different block mode than older drives. Windows XP was not built for AHCI mode, and no matter how you might try to add the drivers, it will never run right. For this reason you should consider just switching to windows 7, preferably 64 bit ultimate if you have the necessary hardware. In the end, it is just not worth all the extra bullshit of dealing with XP which is no longer supported by anyone.

Wait until you have to deal with UEFI in windows 8...that's an annoying pain in the ass!

You have to go into BIOS and disable "Secure Boot". Restart. Enter the secure boot code to truly disable Secure boot. Then go into BIOS and enable Legacy boot...just to boot to a cd.

Have not yet tried installing windows 8, but definitely want to. My current ASUS mobo has an UEFI bios, so I wonder if this will apply. Anyways good to know just in case.
We are all just sloguns waiting to have our triggers pulled.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Installing Windows XP on SATA drives? Don't use AHCI

Post by SubLunar »

Uh, well.. the accepted solution to installing XP on SATA drives has been to install the drivers for AHCI. It's all over the internet, everyone seems to be doing it already and it seems to work for them so I'm not sure what you're getting at. But it's a bunch of extra work...

And the only benefit you get from installing the drivers is the ability to hot swap the drives. That's about it. If you need to hot swap your drives, then you better install the drivers.

My whole point was that all you had to do is go into the BIOS and change the drive type. Like 5 seconds worth of work compared to however long it takes to find the correct driver, slipstream it into your install files, burn an ISO and install. So what like an hour or so?

Notice that I disclaimed this thread as being obsolete information and I was only posting here to vent...

Furthermore, I'm still running XP on my home machines which don't ever touch the internet. And until I need a program that doesn't run on XP I'll keep using XP. Because as long as they're not on the internet, there's nothing to worry about. XP 4E
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Also, Point of Sale machines are still supported. They run a version of XP. And you can "hack" your old xp machine to make windows update think you're running a point of sale machine and your XP will still get updates.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

paul06660 wrote:Have not yet tried installing windows 8, but definitely want to. My current ASUS mobo has an UEFI bios, so I wonder if this will apply. Anyways good to know just in case.
Pfft, I installed the first win 8 trial version on a macbook as soon as it came out. And I dual booted Snow Leopard on it and Boot Camped Win 7 inside of OSX. Just because. :P
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: Installing Windows XP on SATA drives? Don

Post by Nicotti »

I just kick the machine until it let's me install the software.

If you don't believe me, just look at my Windows 8 running on an Apple IIc machine, with the large boot prints on the side.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by paul06660 »

Ive always wanted to throw water on the inside of a running computer.
We are all just sloguns waiting to have our triggers pulled.