Mac Or Pc

You can talk about anything here
Meester Beeg
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Mac Or Pc

Post by Meester Beeg »

"As a Jeep owner, I thoroughly disagree. Function before form. Especially when it's something I'm buying to perform a specific function. As a cheap bastard and a technical kind of person, I recognized long ago that I could build my own high powered computer for much cheaper than I could buy a pre-made one for. And then above that, there were the over priced and proprietary Macintosh systems. Then there's their aesthetics. Their design process always seemed to be "Whitewash everything, pastel everything else" and you can't change the look of the UI. All my PCs have custom themes because why not."

Yeah, but the HD guys don't care if it's a POS, it looks good. And that's all that matters.

I axed the guys if they wanted to race, they quickly declined. but before that they said their bike was better as a boat anchor. Suddenly their tune changed when it came to using it.

Macs are expensive because they flat out work.

And ya dont need a big IT crew to to run them.
Guess ya never owned Macs.

Actually I used them before they were Macs.
We had the Apple Lisa, which became the Mac XL and then the little mac that everyone recognizes.
Here at work our IT guy said ya cant network macs, they wont work, but every desk had one and the people used them do do their work. Then we installed a bunch and networked them fo use in the photo lab.
Frosted the IT department because there wasnt any maintenance on them.

Don't much like the Intel based macs. May as well buy a Dell.
Beware the Black Widows...feared throughout the land!
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Mac Or Pc

Post by SubLunar »

LOL I own macs. They have just as many quirks and weird errors as any other system once you open the hood and start configuratin' em.

There is nothing inherently better about a Mac vs a PC-and vice versa and anyone who thinks otherwise is sippin kool aid.

The one difference is: dollar for dollar, you can get more performance and upgradability out of building your own PC.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Meester Beeg wrote:Macs are expensive because they flat out work.
It's weird because I have tons of PC's that flat out work- in addition to the extra money I saved by not getting all macs.

Macs are expensive because they're proprietary. They're a closed system and they're the only one making them so they get a premium.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Meester Beeg wrote: Here at work our IT guy said ya cant network macs, they wont work, but every desk had one and the people used them do do their work. Then we installed a bunch and networked them fo use in the photo lab.
Frosted the IT department because there wasnt any maintenance on them.
Actually, I bet IT was pissed because you brought in your own equipment and hooked it up to the network (which is a security risk) and thus created more work for them.

What type of network did you set up, wired or wireless? DHCP or static IPs? Internet facing? Did you join them to the domain? IT guys don't just sit around maintaining windows updates on PCs all day.
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

I was given a Macbook upon graduating highschool, and run both Windows and Mac OS on it. I use the Mac side for iTunes because I happen to have an iPhone, and use Windows for just about everything else. This video is entertainingly relevant.
Preservation over plunder.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

I like Sub's point of building your own PCs. I prefer to build my own myself. Besides the fact that it's easier to upgrade them piecemeal, you also do get the "spiffy" software packages that Dell and other companies load onto all their machines. Packages that I find slow the machine down over time and are just a pain in the butt to configure otherwise.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand