Newstation on Menningers Campus

Urban exploration in Kansas
Dehno
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Newstation on Menningers Campus

Post by Dehno »

I saw some photos in another post, but I have quite a few so i figured i'd post some.
The newstation is on Menningers campus, and usually the garage door on the west side of the building is half-open.
It's a really creepy, but cool place.
Attachments
Slides thrown everywhere
Slides thrown everywhere
View of Menningers from the platform above the roof. The clocktower's pretty much the only thing left
View of Menningers from the platform above the roof. The clocktower's pretty much the only thing left
Front of the building from the roof
Front of the building from the roof
bigwindow.jpg
Vending machine
Vending machine
Stairway
Stairway
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Re: Newstation on Menningers Campus

Post by Scout »

Very cool. I thought about entering this building when I was there a couple of years ago. Unfortunately security dogged my asss from nearly the moment I entered the campus and was snapping pics.
"That old hag hates my ass."
SweetTater78
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by SweetTater78 »

Fire Destroys Historic Kansas Radio, TV Station Building

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Topeka Fire crews remained on the scene Thursday night of a massive fire at the former WIBW-TV and Radio studios.

The fire was discovered just before 5 pm at the building. By 7:30 pm, firefighters were still finding areas of flames inside the building.

Flames could be seen shooting from the roof of the structure and thick black smoke could be seen from miles away. The Topeka Fire Department aerial truck was among several units trying to get an upper hand on the flames.

Topeka fire officials said they were largely in defensive mode, keeping the flames from spreading to the grassy areas surrounding the building. One challenge was water - they had to truck it in because no hydrants were near enough to hook on.

WIBW-TV aired its first broadcast from the building when it went on the air Nov. 15, 1953. WIBW-AM joined them there a few years later, when the TV and radio operations were purchased by Stauffer Communications.

Despite an ownership change in the mid-1990s that split the television and radio operations, both entities continued working from the building until 2001, when WIBW-AM-FM moved to a new building on Huntoon Hill and WIBW-TV built a new studio down the hill from the Menninger location, at Commerce Place.

CoreFirst Bank and Trust purchased the former WIBW property but was not currently doing anything at the location.

http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/Fire ... 81308.html
Livin' in the ICT!
SweetTater78
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by SweetTater78 »

http://www.kansasmemory.org/item/224583

Some history on the original use.....a school for orphans.
Livin' in the ICT!