Wyandotte County, KS

Urban exploration in Kansas
darkdarkroom
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Wyandotte County, KS

Post by darkdarkroom »

Hey, I'm new here. I love urban exploration, and grew up in Wyandotte County, KS (right out where the new NASCAR track is)... and spent a lot of my free time during highschool driving around aimlessly and exploring "creepy" places. (er, there wasn't that much else to do there back then!)

Well, in the Wyandotte County Lake Park (the one near the Woodlands) there is the ruins of what seems to be an old abandoned ice skating rink (mostly assumed since there are ice skates all over the place) which looks like it caught fire and everyone just sort of up and left it there exactly how it was. There are melted chairs scattered about, there are even skates laying around. I'm not entirely sure how recent the incident was, the area is extremely overgrown and seems to be forgotten for the most part. I have no idea what the history of the place is, though. I'd love to find out.

It's pretty easily accessible and as far as I can tell it's perfectly okay to be up there. There's a riding/walking trail right past it, and we've seen people up there before whilst exploring and they don't seem to pay any attention to us. There aren't any warning/danger/keep out signs or anything :P

I found it through a friend, and god only knows how SHE found it. She just told us she had something to show us one day and wandered off onto this forgotten little trail into the thick of the woods and we ended up facing this creepy crumbling old building littered with trash and grafitti. Poor thing.

The whole park is pretty neat to explore actually. If you wander off past the Spillway up on the trail to the right, you find more ruins of unknown buildings/houses/etc and even in broad daylight it gives me the creeps. There's hardly anyone out there. Some of the trails actually just meander off into the woods and just forget they were trails at all after a while.

There's plenty of other cool little spots around Wyandotte County, none that I've really explored much myself (there's lots of abandoned churches and cemetaries). Only looked at from a safe, legal distance (after the cops caught us once trying to find some limestone caverns XP). Now I live out in Overland Park so I have a bit of a drive to go explore the old neighboorhood, but I have a feeling there's a lot of untapped mystery out there, just due to the age of the place.

Downtown Kansas City is also awesome if you go down there on a Sunday. I went down there for a photoshoot back in highschool and it was completely empty of any signs of life. It's an awesome place for photography.

Is anyone interested in pictures from the skating rink? let me know, I'd be happy to post them. I have a ton.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: Wyandotte County, KS

Post by White Rabbit »

darkdarkroom wrote:Is anyone interested in pictures from the skating rink? let me know, I'd be happy to post them. I have a ton.
Hey, welcome to the forum. That ice skating place sounds awesome, and I'd definitely like to see a few pictures of the place. And anything else you know, post away about it. We definitely need more KC-ians on the forum :)
David Keetz
Mercurial Disciple
Mercurial Disciple

RE: Wyandotte County, KS

Post by David Keetz »

that does sound worthwhile....i'd like to see a few pics

hey.....have you been to 2011 Flora in KC yet?!.......what is that place?
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

Love the Ren Fest up there!

My husband has interesting "running from the police" stories from that county :)
Kit wrote:I am old
N8L0
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by N8L0 »

Hey I'm from Wyandotte County, lived here my whole life. You know I never even thought about exploring a lot of the old trails at the lake. I didn't know there were abandoned churches and whatnot back there. I'd like to check it out, could you post up some pics / info how how to get to these so I can take a look.
Some of lifes best kept secrets, are hidden under quality hill.
S1L3N7B0B
Lunch Box
Lunch Box

Post by S1L3N7B0B »

We definitely need more KC-ians on the forum
Hey WR, what do you think of a forum for Kansas City? Seeing as it's split in Missouri and Kansas... just a thought.
We might die from medication
But we sure killed all the pain ~ Conor Oberst
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: Wyandotte County, KS

Post by White Rabbit »

S1L3N7B0B wrote:Hey WR, what do you think of a forum for Kansas City? Seeing as it's split in Missouri and Kansas... just a thought.
Mmm... I'm not really against it, but I worry that it'd be dead. In fact, I think it'd be kind of cool to have a forum for the three Missouri Metros (KC, St. Louis, and Springfield) and then a Missouri Other. I'd even like to do that for the other states if we could ever get enough people. The only reason I haven't is that I've worried that KC and St. Louis would be really, really dead (not that Kansas and Oklahoma are exactly booming, but that's my fault for not having any features from those areas). I don't know. I'd probably do it if people would post in it.
Pyrate
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Pyrate »

That rink sounds awesome. So do the abandoned churches that N8LO mentioned. What about the abandoned looking houses by like... monkey lady's house. You Wyandotters know that area? Sorta over by like... the train tracks and old shawnee road? Just off Southwest Trafficway?
Next time out sea bring enough soil to bury me, for I don't want my final jig in the belly of a squid.
JupiterCries
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by JupiterCries »

Id love to see this rink and park. Check out the sinkhole thread about a spot in bonner.

my contact info is in my profile for anyone who still checks out these forums.
Time does not heal all wounds and distance makes the heart grow bitter.
SweetTater78
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by SweetTater78 »

David Keetz wrote:that does sound worthwhile....i'd like to see a few pics

Digging through old posts...

http://www.dupontcastle.com/castles/citywork.htm
http://www.kansascityworkhouse.com/

This is at 2001 Vine Street...you can see it from the Google street view 2011 Flora. Cool old castle!! :D
Livin' in the ICT!
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

SweetTater78 wrote:
David Keetz wrote:that does sound worthwhile....i'd like to see a few pics

Digging through old posts...

http://www.dupontcastle.com/castles/citywork.htm
http://www.kansascityworkhouse.com/

This is at 2001 Vine Street...you can see it from the Google street view 2011 Flora. Cool old castle!! :D
I went to KC once.

SweetTater78
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Wyandotte County, KS

Post by SweetTater78 »

Oh shoot! That's cool! I will have to stop by next time we are up that way. LOL @ Elmo! :lol:
Livin' in the ICT!