Do you carry while exploring?

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
copperhead
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Do you carry while exploring?

Post by copperhead »

I'm not trying to start a gun control debate, just interested. I personally carry a full size Smith & Wesson M&P 40 while on a UE. So does my girlfriend. I always carry a 4 inch Buck folding knife. If I'm on the river I'll bring along the 12 gauge or the .22lr Savage as well. If I'm going on a longer trip in a rural area I'll either bring that .22 or a 30-06 Savage 110 as well, along with a full size Kabar, but never somewhere where it'd cause people to be uncomfortable.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Do you carry while exploring?

Post by SubLunar »

I have carried but I strongly advise caution. If you're clearly breaking the law to enter and you are caught with a gun, they will trump up your charges and you could be seriously fucked over.

I once got in a fight. I had a basic folding pocketknife in my pocket. They called it assault and unlawful use of a deadly weapon. Even though it never left my pocket. The unlawful use charge was dismissed but the point is they tried to stack up the charges to make it sound worse than it was. And you can be damned sure they'll do that if you have a gun.

The problem with guns and this hobby is if you get charged with a firearms related offense and it sticks, that can legally prevent you from obtaining/owning guns in the future. Even if it doesn't stick it can cause issues with sales. I used to work as a gun broker and I've done the ATF 4473 NICS check enough times to know how much of a hassle it can be.
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: Do you carry while exploring?

Post by BagHead727 »

Yeah.. carrying when you explore is a terrible idea. Just be street smart and don't get yourself into a sticky situation.
aka "That Guy"
copperhead
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by copperhead »

I meant like caves and tunnels and such. I'm a law abiding citizen when it comes to my firearms and I understand what a charge would do. I don't roam around breaking into abandoned buildings strapped.
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Re: RE: Do you carry while exploring?

Post by mindwaave »

copperhead wrote:I meant like caves and tunnels
I wouldn't recommend it, since those places often require the navigation of tight spaces, and things tend to get caught or slip-away from you.

Situational awareness and a knowledge of body language eliminate the need for a weapon 9.5 times outta 10.
Preservation over plunder.
copperhead
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: Do you carry while exploring?

Post by copperhead »

mindwaave wrote:
copperhead wrote:I meant like caves and tunnels
I wouldn't recommend it, since those places often require the navigation of tight spaces, and things tend to get caught or slip-away from you.

Situational awareness and a knowledge of body language eliminate the need for a weapon 9.5 times outta 10.
I have never once had my handgun get caught or slip out of the hostler, and I carry it daily. Nice and snug, close to the body, and strapped in as it should be. Not like some idiot with a drop-leg or a cowboy rig.
Pepster
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Pepster »

I don't own a gun, much less an assortment of guns that would necessitate a rack.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Post by Chris »

I have enough guns to open a shop.

I have NEVER brought one exploring. Exploring, even caves and tunnels, almost always involves some degree of tresspassing. Bad idea, IMO.
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

I think the biggest risk is being stopped by the Police. There's a good chance you'll talk your way out of it. That chance likely decreases dramatically if they notice a gun, and it likely decreases to zero if you've fired at someone. That is assuming you don't run into the trigger happy cop that pulls the trigger the second they find out you are armed.

Chances are you'll both know about each other before you actually see each other. Walking with your gun pulled as you come up on a cop is probably a bad scenario.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

I am confused as to why you feel a gun is needed for cave exploration.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

Nicotti wrote:I am confused as to why you feel a gun is needed for cave exploration.
Umm... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435625/
aka "That Guy"
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Headframe Hunters »

Virtually always. Full-size 1911, if not a rifle (I spend a good bit of time on USFS and BLM land in New Mexico). However, my exploring is either on public land, or done with permission of the landowner. I've been finding out that exploring is 10x better when done through the proper channels- you'll learn things you never would have if the owner didn't know you had an interest in the site. I have been moving increasingly towards doing everything aboveboard - I get more out of the experience that way.
In loving memory of Nichole - 12/4/1996 -- 12/1/2017

https://headframehunters.blogspot.com/
BacktotheFuture4Life
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by BacktotheFuture4Life »

Seems like a bad idea to me... I don't think there's really any situations where you would need a gun when exploring, to be honest.
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Headframe Hunters »

BacktotheFuture4Life wrote:Seems like a bad idea to me... I don't think there's really any situations where you would need a gun when exploring, to be honest.
Last summer, I was being stalked by a mountain lion while exploring a tungsten mine in Arizona. One shot from my sidearm in its general direction convinced it to be elsewhere.

If there aren't any legal issues, I honestly encourage it.
In loving memory of Nichole - 12/4/1996 -- 12/1/2017

https://headframehunters.blogspot.com/